308 for Hunting Nyala and Gemsbok

I think the Swift A and Nosler Partition are better bullets. And for the most part will cut through or break up bone better than a extreme mushroom bullet. I can't prove it, but the hydraulic shock from a Interbond or Accubond....really interests me, it does a lot of damage...may not exit, which is good in my opinion, that means the animal took all the energy and muscle, blood vessel and organs, took a real beating. I know most people want a exit wound on both ends....but I have seen way too many shotgun wounds, do just that and the animal gets away or suffers and dies at a later date. Since I have gone to softer points...I have recovered all of my game if I did my part and had patience and took a good shot. I think a lot of people panic when they shoot and no bullet will help you out there. There may not be a huge blood trail, but there doesn't have to be if the internal organs are torn up, my experience has been a short tracking job or instant kill.

I respect your thoughts and feelings on the subject though Scott.

I agree totally about the Swift and Nos Part bullets. Wound ballistics has many schools of thought as you know. It seems these days most want a thru and thru bullet for the "blood trail" while others go with the "energy dump" theory. I personally dont really believe in the so called energy dump because being based on the bullets kinetic energy numbers, one has to wonder if energy kills, then how does an arrow which has hardly any energy compared to a high velocity bullet, kill an animal? One could go on and on all day with this, like chasing ones tail but in the end, put a good bullet in the right place...

Arrows cause death by hemorrhaging, because veins and arteries got severed...same reasons most things die. Vital organs and body parts got damaged. I use to think a 243 Win was a useless gun, but after hunting with it, I think it's a real killing machine. The 100 grain Power Point does a unbelievable amount of damage. Whether it's high shoulder shots or lung shots it is very deadly. I think a lot of it has to do with the instant hemorrhage damage. For the most part I would only recommend the lung shot though. The deer that I shot any where else traveled farther than they would have with a accubond, Swift A or something else. The reason I experiment is to see what I can get away with ethically while hunting. The research has paid off. But using a GMX or Triple shock bullet is no sure thing either...at the end of the day...shot placement is everything (lol).

And of course if one has ever seen what expanding bullets do when hitting ballistic gel and the disruption it causes.. well I suppose that would lend credence to the energy dump theory. It would also accomodate the shock theory as well. Its giving me a headache. Lets just say its a combination of all the above and have done with it! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

The .308 should work just fine. I used my Encore Thompson/Center handgun in .308 shooting the Win. 150 gr. XP3 bullet on my trip to RSA. It worked great. I took a zebra, gemsbok, impala, blesbok, and springbok with it, no problem with good bullet placement.

The .308 is a fine caliber for plains game,provided that you are aware of it's few limitations.It has a wide range of bullet weights to suit most types of plains game hunting in Africa.Shot placement is your most important factor,as always.I use only two rifles for all my hunting,a .308 and a .375,(both CZ550's).I have never had any hunting or accuracy reason to change from the Sierra 165gr GameKing's in my .308 or the 250gr GameKing's in my .375.For whatever reason,these bullets have always worked for me.

The Sierra Game King is a premium bullet to me, why change a good thing (lol).

I prefer the Swift A-Frame bullets, as loaded by Remington.

With my .338 WM, most kills needed only one shot, for middle and large plainsgame.

I have my own theory. It goes like this: if you spend more time on the range shooting than you do reading about what kind of bullet, cartridge, or action type is best, whatever you choose will probably work just fine, so long as you understand game animal anatomy.

I have my own theory. It goes like this: if you spend more time on the range shooting than you do reading about what kind of bullet, cartridge, or action type is best, whatever you choose will probably work just fine, so long as you understand game animal anatomy.

Works for me,Bert.Find something that works for you,get to know it,and stick with it.I prefer shooting to pondering,any day.As enysse says 'why change a good thing'.

Sorry Docman, I'm not shooting it in my 375 H&H, I got 300 Fail Safes at a crazy low price and and like them very much....they don't make them anymore...but I have a ton of them in my basement. I have some 285 gr. Grand Slam (but haven't loaded them) and I have some 300 gr. Barnes Solids.

Make no mistake, stay with your Sierra Game Kings, they are very good! About the only bullet I would switch to...is a Barnes Triple Shock, Just because they are copper and the EPA over here in the USA wants to ban all lead bullet eventually.

The 308 is a good round and has much to recommend it. A Mod 7 so chambered was my sheep rifle in AK. Ballistic tips as mentioned work nicely on lung shots but in Africa often your shots may come at odd angles and at animals that are already on alert. For this application I'd pick a less frangible bullet. I've shot four gemsbok and they can be quite tough. I think you'd be better served by any premium bullet over the Ballistic Tip.

The .308 is a decent plainsgame caliber and very popular among local Africans. I have used it a good deal and its comparable to the 30-06 in most respects. Stick a good 180 gr. Nosler in a Gemsboks heart or lungs and it will kill him..

Personally I prefer a bigger gun like a .338 win for most African plainsgame as I might run into a big Eland, but I wouldn't turn down an opertunity to shoot an Eland with a 308..

When you might have to pay for a wounded animal on a Safari, I suggest that you up your odds by shooting the largest caliber within reason that you can handle well..For most that would be a 300 Win or .338 Win or something simulair.

I agree with you completely Ray except my caliber of choice for plains game has been 300wby, but the 338 is excellent cartridge and one I like very well.

A .308 with any heavy-for-caliber controlled expansion bullet will be fine...Don't go into the weeds about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yuvbfsgf365

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Shaker Crew | Kids Sweatshirt
https://www.braveactiveco.com/products/knit-sweatshirt
Comfortable and premium quality Knit Sweatshirt. Our Knit Sweatshirt is crafted with our exquisite recycled fabric, ensuring a soft and lightweight feel.
John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia