303 british double

A friend of mine has a McNaughton double in 303. Unique in the fact that the barrels are not welded together from the end of the rear sight to the end of the barrels. He also has a Rigby rising bite and a Holland royal. A pretty nice collection of 303’s to say the least!

The .303 British was pretty common for DRs. It could be hard on barrels with the early corrosive primers. Here’s a Fraser DR from 1898 timeframe. It shots well with 174 grain bullets.

IMG_2206.jpeg

A friend of mine has a McNaughton double in 303. Unique in the fact that the barrels are not welded together from the end of the rear sight to the end of the barrels. He also has a Rigby rising bite and a Holland royal. A pretty nice collection of 303’s to say the least!
Now that would be something cool to have in the treasure chest:).
Wonder if it is a sidelever rising bite???

EJ

Rigby 303 Rt side #2.JPG

Rigby 303 Top.JPG

Here is my Purdey 303 . It was made for Highland stalking . It was completed in 1898 but went out for the deer season “in the black “ in 1887 . It is totally original . Shoots 180 grain Sellier And Bellott ammo very happily . I took a nice Chittal doe with it in October . Shoots beautifully .

IMG_3156.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is my Purdey 303 . It was made for Highland stalking . It was completed in 1898 but went out for the deer season “in the black “ in 1887 . It is totally original . Shoots 180 grain Sellier And Bellott ammo very happily . I took a nice Chittal doe with it in October . Shoots beautifully .
Beautiful rifle sir

And a Rigby 303 Rising Bite . Most English makers churned out these lovely rifles in sidelock , boxlock , falling block and bolt actions either on Lee Speed / Lee Enfield actions or Mauser slant box ( very uncommon ) formats . All are good rifles with a terrific cartridge .

IMG_2749.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
The Purdey 303 with a nice Chittal doe taken in October . Scope and mounting fitted by Purdey in 1930s . Scope is a 3x magnification . Deer taken at 130 metres .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blaubeerchen44

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg