300gr norma oryx reloading data

Hello Papabear55. Here below are the official reloading data from Norma, for that caliber and bullet/powder combination…

IMG_0239.JPG

@Shootist43 has quick load, he might be able to help you with that.

The Norma Oryx is a jacketed lead core bullet so Nosler Data below is a good solid guide of 64-68 grains. Alliant has one load for the 300 gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw in their online data base below of 70 grains, and lastly I checked out the Lee Reloading manual who give similar to both of those combined ranging from 61.6 to 70. I'd work up with the Nosler data myself. View attachment 375-H_H-300gr-version-9-0 (1).pdf
Screenshot_20211010-083647_Chrome.jpg
JPEG_20211010_084614_5616602873127588764.jpg

I am off to Namibia next Friday, to hunt Eland, Kudu and Waterbuck. My ammo is 375 h&h, reloaded with 300gr Woodleigh PPSN over 69 grains of Norma 203-b (which I am told is the same powder as R15, only branded under a different name).

Yeah after looking at data for RL15 from Woodleigh, Hornady, Swift and Nosler I am going to start at 68 grains and work up from there.
I'm big fan of the Norma Oryx, used them in 180 and 200 grain in my 30-06. Really keen to start running the 300 grain through my 375H&H

A lot of posts in here of late for the Norma Orxy bullet. I do not recommend it. Stick with what works. Barnes, Swift, etc.

A lot of posts in here of late for the Norma Orxy bullet. I do not recommend it. Stick with what works. Barnes, Swift, etc.
Can you elaborate on this? You do not recommend the Norma Oryx? For what and why?

Can you elaborate on this? You do not recommend the Norma Oryx? For what and why?
I had bad luck with the Oryx bullet on my Kyrgyzstan Ibex hunt. The first shot was through his huge neck and it did not expand. I saw him through the scope shaking his head a bit like a sheep choking on feed but he was not hurt from that good shot. The neck on those goats is massive and should have easily opened the bullet up. A miss then a good hit on the third shot put him down. I was shooting a .300 RUM at the time.
I am mostly using Barnes now.

I had bad luck with the Oryx bullet on my Kyrgyzstan Ibex hunt. The first shot was through his huge neck and it did not expand. I saw him through the scope shaking his head a bit like a sheep choking on feed but he was not hurt from that good shot. The neck on those goats is massive and should have easily opened the bullet up. A miss then a good hit on the third shot put him down. I was shooting a .300 RUM at the time.
I am mostly using Barnes now.
Shot through the neck with a 300 RUM and the animal wasn't hurt?

I have had good luck with the oryx at 30 06 speed, but have read they are not the best a magnum speeds…I asume a lot of the issue can be the range/speed at impact. My experience is the faster the better with a Barnes. TTSX, but have seen minimal mushroom at slower speed. So as with the Oryx, better performance at moderate speed. A 300 Rum is a round on steroids and burning afterburner. Ideal cartridge when it is needed.

Shot through the neck with a 300 RUM and the animal wasn't hurt?
Yep. Just stood there. After we got him down he just had a pencil sized hole right through the middle of the neck! I won’t be using Norma again.

That Ibex shot was very unusual for that bullet. Mysterious, but understandable that you are cautious now Phillp. I have have excellent, very consistent results with Oryx bullets shot from 9.3x62, 9.3x74, .30-06, 7x57, .243 and used them to cleanly kill many animals, including Giraffe, Moose, several Elk, several bears, Kudu and Gemsbok, several whitetail and mule deer. I like Oryx bullets.

Last edited:
Sorry for the late reply, i haven't had a chance to load any yet. Been working too much

69 grains of RL15 gave me an average of 2568fps, 70 grains gave me an average of 2583fps. They are fairly well steaming along!

I have 100 Norma 300 gr. Oryx .375 bullets. I plan on using them for deveoping a load for use with the few Woodleigh 300 PP SN that I have. If they are as good as the Woodleighs, I will also use them in TZ this year. Will probably use 4350, 4064, or H380. Saving my 203b for my 7 X 57 :)

I use load data for the Nosler Partition when loading the Oryx. In my 9.3x74R DR they print to the exact same poi at 100yd with the same charge of W760.
In the 375 CZ550, 74.0gr of W760 gives me 2550fps over the Chrony, and 3/4" groups with the Oryx
Haven't used RL15, so can't help with that powder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mallie

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]