300 Winchester Magnum bullets for plains game

Best 300 Winchester Magnum bullets for plains game?

• Swift A-Frame

Votes: 39 36.8%
  • Woodleigh

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • Barnes TSX

Votes: 40 37.7%
  • Other

Votes: 20 18.9%

• Total voters

John18

Reaction score
What do recommend as a bullet for plains game? Largest animal I’m shooting is a kudu and I may possible use the rifle for a giraffe, smallest is an impala.

Last edited:
I agree with the bullet choices but you may want to consider a lighter bullet 150-180 TSX or TTSX for flatter shooting for everything up through kudu. Then bring a 200 grain Swift or TSX for giraffe. I’ve used this idea with my 375 on past hunt 250 grain TTSX for flatter shooting, 300 grain Swift for heavier game.

A-Frame is always a good answer for any question you have in Africa...

Beside this, the Nosler Partition will work very well, also with a good B.c.
The Trophy Bonded Tip could be also a good option.

Buttet weight 180grs or max. 200grs out of the .300 Win Mag

It really depends on the landscape you’ll be hunting.
If it’s Limpopo Bushveld ,where the shots are seldom longer than 150m and often less than 100m, go with a heavy for caliber 200gr Swift A-Frame or Nosler Partition. If it’s more open country then the lighter 180gr Swift Scirocco or Accubond would work well.
Alternatively any 180gr Mono that shoots well in your rifle will do the job.

If considering giraffe, use the toughest 200 grain bullet your rifle will handle. Swift A-frames should be a good universal choice.
Personally I only carry a 375 H&H to Africa. Why?...just in case I see something big I want to take. JMO&E
Best of luck what ever you decide to take!

Used Barnes 165 g TTSX for 300 WSM. Everything fell to the shot - wildebeest, kudu, springbok, gemsbok, blesbok, impala, warthog

What do recommend as a bullet for plains game? Largest animal I’m shooting is a kudu and I may possible use the rifle for a giraffe, smallest is an impala.
For plains game - 180 gr TTSX will handle any of them - including eland. Not sure about giraffe.

Impala to giraffe is quite the span. I would use the heaviest LRX they make. This bullet is designed to open at lower velocity so it will out open on the Impala, it is also designed to penetrate deep after opening up with about 1.5 times caliber diameter. With testing this bullet, 168 LRX in a 7 mm Weatherby, firing into water, that is just what it did. So it should also work on the giraffe.
Test results can be seen on bullet data base thread

Let’s be clear. ANY brand name bullet will work on plains game up to kudu. I would take the one that shoots the best groups. The fact of the matter is that weight, bullet type, brand etc doesn’t matter if you don’t take the lungs out. If you shout one bullet 1 moa, off the bench then off of sticks at 300 yards your hopefully at 3 moa, or a 9 inch circle. Much more important to get in that circle than what bullet you use. All of them will do the job. I do mean all of them. I have taken more pg with Hornady gmx bullets than any other purely because they shot the best. My two cents.

I will mainly be hunting in Limpopo, right now I have some of the 180 grain Barnes and 180 grain swifts to test fire. I don’t reload but would be willing to get custom loads if swift doesn’t start making the 200 a frame ammo soon.

Federal loads the 200 grain TBBC and the shoot well at 100 yards.

20180506_153109.jpg

I used a hire rifle on my management hunt. It was the PH own rifle a 7mmRM using Hornady SST . 10 one shot kills. The Blue Wildebeeste to a short run a Kudu cow went straight down and a decent Kudu Bull did not go far .
I would vote Woodleigh being Australian but I have used Nosler.
Barnes, Woodleigh and Swift will all do it I’m sure.
I would like another .300wm and would consider it a PG rifle. My PH seconded that in discussions
Shot placement as always is important.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mangalbhanu

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia