300 Weatherby vs 300 Win Mag

Bert the Turtle

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Specifically regarding the Blaser R8, I am seeking people’s opinions on 300 Weatherby vs 300 Win mag.

The action length is fixed and is adequate for the Weatherby, so I am having trouble coming up with reasons to choose the Win mag other than possibly ammo availability. Given hand loading, It seems the Weatherby can do everything the Win mag can do, as well as having more potential on the upper end. Yet, most people choose the Win mag, so there must be a reason I am missing.

In a pinch you can shoot 300 HH ammo in the Weatherby but you can't shoot it in the Winchester.

Plus you can load the Weatherby down, but you can't load the Winchester up much.

I think you nailed it. I love the .300 Weatherby. Then again, the .300 Win is the safe choice for Africa for the ammo concern. However, I do believe the ammo concern, while valid, is somewhat overstated. I have never had any friend have ammo disappear, I’m sure some have, but I have not.

During covid you could not find a box of 300 win mag ammo anywhere but I had no trouble finding 300 weatherby! I personally prefer the 300 weatherby, the simple fact I can load it down to 30-06 level velocity if I want to or all the way up to 300 weatherby performance.

I have never been that fond of the .300 win mag, quite possibly because I started with the .300 Weatherby. As others have said, it will do everything the win mag will do but better and without the punishing recoil of the really big .300 magnums.

As an aside, while I do not own one yet, the .300 PRC is probably a superior design to both cartridges, but certainly the win mag.

Both are rock starts. Cannot make a bad decision.

I like the .300 HH just for nostalgia sake. I shoot all three of the .300's. All work fine. Suppressed is even better....

Currently my 300 is a Wby and not a Win.
But I had a Win, and I can honestly say that's a better caliber - less recoil, less jump, less heat sensitive, more accurate, it needs +/- 10 gr less powder to do more or less the same thing. Also the Win is at home in a 24" tube, where the Wby really needs 26". I love my Wby and I really like his story, his legend, and all. But I believe the Win is the best between the two.

Currently my 300 is a Wby and not a Win.
But I had a Win, and I can honestly say that's a better caliber - less recoil, less jump, less heat sensitive, more accurate, it needs +/- 10 gr less powder to do more or less the same thing. Also the Win is at home in a 24" tube, where the Wby really needs 26". I love my Wby and I really like his story, his legend, and all. But I believe the Win is the best between the two.
I’m with you, but prefer the .300 Jarrett. :). This one was built by Thomas “Speedy” Gonzales. Can shoot .300 Weatherby in a pinch. Don’t think it is offered in the R8. :)

IMG_7519.jpeg
IMG_7515.jpeg
IMG_7516.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is my experience the only ballistic differences between 300 win/wby
is the an increase of muzzle velocity and of course terminal ballistics with heavier bullets say 180-220 grs some where 150-200 fps MV with lighter bullets 130-165 grs is really not that much 150-175 fps but then again those velocities are already in the 3220-3500 fps with those bullets
ie.. 300win mag 150 grs at 3250 fps vs 300 wby 3400 fps is not any real difference in drop or terminal ballistics also once the animal is shoot its not going to noticed the difference
if any of those rounds hit the proper vitals area .
thus the main point is ammo ability and price

Look at the 340 Weatherby as well.
Main reason I want something in 308 caliber is I have a suppressor that needs a home. Haven’t decided what way to go with it yet. On the one hand I’m thinking a 300 Weatherby gives me a lot of versatility, most of which I’ll likely never use as I don’t generally hunt at long range. The other train of thought says most of what I do is short-range deer hunting and a short barreled 308 (or 30-06 since I already shoot 30-06 and have the dies and components to support it) with a suppressor would be just perfect for guests. My son and I don’t shoot too many deer ourselves any more; we do give quite a few friends their first hunting experience and a suppressed 308 caliber rifle shooting modest loads may be a nice way to go.

I’m with you, but prefer the .300 Jarrett. :). This one was built by Thomas “Speedy” Gonzales. Can shoot .300 Weatherby in a pinch. Don’t think it is offered in the R8. :)
Yes the 300 Jarret is a better and perfected Wby, with a better shoulder and tend to be more accurate
Great caliber
Chambered in the one of the first beanfield rifle build by Jarret I remember...

Nowadays I would also rather choose the cartridge 300 Winchester Magnum. Some advantages compared to the cartridge 300 Weatherby cartridge were already cited, nevertheless you should also take into account what bullet weight you want to use. With the bullets caliber .308 up to 180gr, both cartridges deliver more or less the same performance. The situation is different with bullets of 200gr and especially above, where the cartridge 300 Weatherby Magnum is clearly an advantage. The same applies when it comes to comparing the cartridges 338 Winchester Magnum and 340 Weatherby Magnum.

Having had 300 H&H, 308 Norma mag, and 300 Win Mag, they all are great and just work.
Oddly, the 300 win mag is the least romantic but the one I’ve killed the most game with by a long stretch.
Ammo is everywhere during normal times. Can be loaded down but is perfection for ‘shy of 375’ territory. Covers everything in NA perfectly and is the elk rifle I reach for first
180 or 200 grain premium bullets…to me recoil is easy, mpbr fantastic, crowbar of a rifle, life is good

My wife and I both have R8’s with 300WM barrels and went that route for a couple of reasons.

First was we wanted just one bolt head and because I already had a 375H&H that meant staying within the MA cartridges. This narrowed the field to the 300WM and 300WBY.

My final choice was based ammo availability in a remote camp and keep recoil to a minimum. Because my wife would be shooting the same cartridge, I wanted something she could easily manage without a brake on the barrel.

Lastly, I’m unlikely to need the ballistic advantage that the 300WBY provides. The 300WM gets it done for the animals and ranges we will engage them.

Seeing as you want to use it suppressed, go with the semi-weight 580mm (22") barrel in either 300WM or 300WSM.
.300 Weatherby needs a longer barrel to reach full potential, and the suppressor would add to that length. Your Blaser might end up looking like a punt gun. (lol)

Seeing as you want to use it suppressed, go with the semi-weight 580mm (22") barrel in either 300WM or 300WSM.
.300 Weatherby needs a longer barrel to reach full potential, and the suppressor would add to that length. Your Blaser might end up looking like a punt gun. (lol)
That’s a good point. It would become quite unwieldy with a suppressor on a 26 inch barrel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dirk89B86

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's