.300 PRC put 'em in the salt

TNPshooter

Reaction score
I just returned from my Eastern Cape adventure hunting a variety of plains game with my Proof Research .300 PRC shooting 190 grain Hornady Outfitter ammo (CX Bullet). The rilfe and ammo performed flawlessly. Shots ranged from 460 yards to inside of 150 yards. Game taken were Eland, Kudu, Nyala, Bushbuck, Gemsbok, Zebra, Blesbuk, and Impala. All animals but two went down with one shot. The two that needed an extra round were my fault due to poor shot placement, but those two didn't make it 50 yards. The Zebra, Gemsbok, Nyala, Bushbuck and Blesbuck all dropped in their tracks with one shot. The Eland stumbled 15 yards and went down with one shot. The Zebra and Eland bullets lodged just under the skin on the opoosite shoulder. I estimate 95% mass retention of the bullet. I'll post a few photos when I get a chance of the bullets recovered.

All in all, I'm very pleased with this particular caliber/bullet combo.

Last edited:
I am doing a Montana elk rifle hunt later this year and the outfitter is now providing Best of the West 300 PRC rifles. I believe they are using 212 gr ELD-X. I am looking forward to trying them out.

I’m headed to Idaho for elk in October…. Christensen Mesa Titanium in 300 PRC loaded with Hornady Outfitter 190gr CX…

I’m getting roughly .75” groups at 100 with the CX… for whatever reason I couldn’t get sub moa out of the 212gr ELD-X load… so I’ve decided CX will be what this rifle shoots (bought 5 boxes)…

I’m hoping I have similar results as the OP and we put a couple of elk in the salt… (buddy that’s going with also shoots a Christensen in 300 prc… his is a Ridgeline FFT though…).. he’s also shooting the 190gr CX load…

I absolutely love the cartridge and used it in Africa as well. There I was using Barnes 190 LRX and it was complete pass through on everything including Eland.

I recently finished a build with 1:8 twist so I can shoot the Barnes 212 Bore rider. I am also shooting the newer 208 LRX factory load that is showing great promise. I just need to shoot some stuff other than paper to see how they perform. Watch out pigs!

Im typically an "old and proven" sorta guy over "new and innovative"... For example, historically I would have always favored a 300 H&H or 300 WM over a 300 PRC...

My wife talked me into picking up the Christensen though.. and I have to say.. Ive quickly fallen in love with the rifle and the caliber..

Mine easily holds MOA even if Im not working very hard at it.. and is slinging 190gr 30 caliber projectiles over 3000 FPS.. the rifle itself is extremely ergo dynamic and just fits well in every possible way.. and while I am also not typically a fan of brakes, with the factory cylindrical brake, its reasonably mild to shoot.... I dont have any problem hitting the range and putting a full box through the gun (shot close to 50 rounds in one sitting a few weeks back.. that ended up being a little much.. but Ive done 20 on 2 other occasions and its really been no big deal at all)...

Im seriously thinking the next PG hunt I do.. or potentially when I hunt NZ next year.. that the 300 PRC is what will go with..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OlenCorrie

Latest profile posts

3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available