300 PRC for long range hunting cartridge?

Maybe not for Northern Shooter since he is Canada but for those in the US the following would be a good option:
A Bergara 300PRC on Gunbroker for $1199.99.
Couple that with a Burris Eliminator if it is legal in your state and you should be golden. The Burris Eliminator III is on closeout for $871 on Amazon.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-05-12 at 5.47.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-12 at 5.47.48 PM.png
    663.9 KB · Views: 39
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-12 at 5.47.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-12 at 5.47.49 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 39
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-12 at 5.47.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-12 at 5.47.51 PM.png
    644.9 KB · Views: 43
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-12 at 5.47.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-12 at 5.47.52 PM.png
    363.9 KB · Views: 34
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-12 at 5.47.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-12 at 5.47.54 PM.png
    470.1 KB · Views: 45
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-12 at 5.48.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-12 at 5.48.19 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 37
IF you don't handload, the 300 WM is the way to go (the PRC uses a heavier mag action length to seat the bullet way out and increase powder capacity-you will get slightly higher V (w/ lighter hunting bullets-not the heavy target bullets it was made for,) but also more recoil. You'll be hard pressed to find a great selection of hunting ammo in PRC. Will it work (w/ proper Hunting bullets)? Yes. Will any other existing Mag rifle get the job done equally as well (or better-less recoil-more accurate longer range shooting w/ a smaller rig, etc.)? Si. Re-invention of the wheel (again.) 300 WM and 6.5-300 Wby were commonly used for 3,000 yd competition. The idea behind the PRC was heavy-for-caliber high BC (Target) bullets at modest (2,750 fps) V. It's a LOT more cartridge to minimally outperform (on paper) the 300 WM. PRC is certainly an upgrade from the Needmore cartridge (from a hunting perspective!) Seems like it's just too bulky for hunting use when pre-existing greats get it done in a smaller package. I have a big mag-length 338 that I love (it's in the same pkg required by the PRC mag action/26" bbl/big stock, but a LOT more downrange steam, and thus it's worth it for the larger stuff.) Having a heavier 300 WM with sketchy ammo availability? IDTS.

IF you don't handload, the 300 WM is the way to go (the PRC uses a heavier mag action length to seat the bullet way out and increase powder capacity-you will get slightly higher V (w/ lighter hunting bullets-not the heavy target bullets it was made for,) but also more recoil. You'll be hard pressed to find a great selection of hunting ammo in PRC. Will it work (w/ proper Hunting bullets)? Yes. Will any other existing Mag rifle get the job done equally as well (or better-less recoil-more accurate longer range shooting w/ a smaller rig, etc.)? Si. Re-invention of the wheel (again.) 300 WM and 6.5-300 Wby were commonly used for 3,000 yd competition. The idea behind the PRC was heavy-for-caliber high BC (Target) bullets at modest (2,750 fps) V. It's a LOT more cartridge to minimally outperform (on paper) the 300 WM. PRC is certainly an upgrade from the Needmore cartridge (from a hunting perspective!) Seems like it's just too bulky for hunting use when pre-existing greats get it done in a smaller package. I have a big mag-length 338 that I love (it's in the same pkg required by the PRC mag action/26" bbl/big stock, but a LOT more downrange steam, and thus it's worth it for the larger stuff.) Having a heavier 300 WM with sketchy ammo availability? IDTS.

In my post, I said you can get nearly the same thing with several other chambering, so I'm disagreeing with you overall, I can more than 2750fps shooting a 230gr. If you aren't using factory ammo, there is a decent amount of performance to be had. Is it needed for shooting a mule deer at 300 yards? Not at all, but that is true for the vast majority of rifles I own.

You may want to consider the ole' Roy. The .300 PRC with 212gr eld-x will dump a ton of energy into a critter (I shoot this too), but I prefer my 300wby. Grew up in the rockies and it does excellent on mulies, elk, sheep, goat, moose, etc. but also dumped a huge bull Giraffe. Perfect caliber for out to 1000 yards. You want the best bang for your buck, I think fierce can custom build you one. Just thinking out loud.
I was also going to suggest the 300 Weatherby. I have shot one (several rifles) for close to fourty years, along with many other cartridges and calibers. Currently I shoot one to six hundred yards regularly, it's simply a terrific cartridge. I've shot it at 1000 yards very accurately as well. If you don't mind paying a little more, it's a superb choice in my opinion, some may disagree and consider it a bit "old style" with the belt. the very best bet for ease of finding a good choice of ammo anywhere is the 300 Win Mag. Tough to beat it as an overall .30 caliber and the ammo for those who don't reload, is very reasonably priced compared to the others.
The 300 PRC is a great cartridge but most rifles that are chambered for it have a 1/8 twist barrel for really long projectiles. If it's a dedicated long range rifle it's a great choice. compared to the Win Mag and the Weatherby it seems a little less versatile but an excellent choice for long range.

There are still some of the Bergera Premier Highlander’s out there.

Bergara is moving away from the Grayboe fiberglass stocks in favor of lighter and more expensive carbon fiber stocks. I’m personally very pleased with the Grayboe stocks and I think the overall value of the rifle to be outstanding. I bought the premier highlander in 6.5 prc for me and one for my sister as well. There are some good deals out now on last year’s models.
I also really like the Grayboe Outlander on my .308. It's the same model as was used on the Bergara Premier Highlander. It's high quality and just feels the way I think a hunting stock should feel as far as the shape of it. The AG on my .300WM is a little stiffer and lighter, but I prefer the feel of the Grayboe.

The Bergara Premiers are excellent rifles, especially if you can find a discontinued model at a discount. I'd have one if they were available in lefty versions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElaineCran

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]