300 mag projectiles

csmiffy

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunted
New Zealand
hey gentlemen. I would imagine this would be the premium forum in discussions about this. A lot of people using a variety of 30 cal magnums on a lot of game
In the future, I have a project that will eventually turn into a 300 mag of some sort.
300 win mag would be the easiest and simplest but I am a bit of a dickhead... I mean traditionalist and would rather go with the precursor to that, the 308 norma, or even better a 300H+H if i can get a reamer. This will be on a BSA factory sporterised P14 enfield.
So ultimately what would be the best projectile in the 165-180gr range for deer up to red stags (if I ever get a look at one). Doesn't need to be tough for big elk or moose or dangerous game. That would be another decision altogether.
Thoughts peeps?

Personally I don't look at anything lighter than 180gr for 300mag (my flavour is the H&H) but I guess a 165gr mono would be ok. the 180s are already running around 3000f/s so I see no need for more speed for most hunting applications.

The faster the bullet the greater the need for toughness - i.e. premium bullets. I exclude varminting from hunting in this context. Depending on your hunting range you could decide between more aerodynamic bullets and toughness. Premium bondeds like Interbonds, Sciroccos and Accubonds would all be great. Similarly Barnes TTSX or TSX won't let you down.

If you go heavier and slower then you could start to look at conventional bullets like Sierras and maybe Berger.

A lot will depend on what's available close to you.. Reloading components have been scarce for the last couple years and Vladimir's ego trip to Ukraine isn't going to help improve availability any time soon.

I have used Hornady SST 180gn in my .300wm .
They were cheapish when I bought them.

What Desperatezulu said. Monometal bullets/Bonded core and I favour heavy bullets. Close shots can really test bullet with the magnums so cup and core bullets are not a great idea.

I use cup and core 180/220 gr bullets in my 30-06 because the velocity is much lower-less stress on the bullet and close range.

@csmiffy one of your fellow kiwis, Nathan Foster, has a great website with lots of bullet info.

I am currently in the middle of working up a load for two different 300 WMs, one with a 24 and the other with a 26 inch barrel. I am focused on using the 200 gr Hornady ELD-X. These two rifles belong to my sons-in-law and are primarily for elk hunting with 200-300 yard shots being common.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 8.12.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 8.12.25 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 66
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 8.12.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 8.12.26 AM.png
    937.1 KB · Views: 56
I have had very good results (accuracy, penetration and weight retention) in a .300 SAUM using 165gn TSX and in a .300 Win Mag using 168gn TSX.

My reason for choosing the TSX over Partitions or A-Frames was the accuracy in my particular rifles.

I use 200gr or heavier in my 300H&H

If you are limiting your game to deer up to red stag I think I would look at bullets in the 165 grain range like a sierra game king or hornady sst. What shooting distances do you anticipate.

180gr Partitions for what you said.

I've simplified my life, and use 165 Barnes in the Win Mag and WSM and 168 gr Barnes in the H&H
on "everything" from Deer to Eland. Either TSX or TTSX, makes no difference.

cheers gentlemen. If you think shortages are bad where you are you should see here in NZ.
If it's a 6.5 cal for the last 12 months you wouldn't have been able to find anything. You should see the prices that some of the really popular ones have been going for lately-up to 3x normal retail and some are paying for it.
30 cal is not much better. I would suggest no more than 400yds. That's a long way for me.
it is a tricky thing to find something that works up close and far away and I'm not trying to chase massive velocity but it has to be doing better than a 3006 otherwise i'd just chamber it to that as boring as that sounds so nah. Got an 8x57 for the 3006ish type stuff.
300H+H is cool.
really don't need the 200 grainers. 180 would be plenty. That is a good solid pill for a 3006 so a little bit faster is just more better.
all the decent factory ammo for the 8mm is 185gr-195gr so don't need to duplicate that.
Mate has a 300wsm and I think that likes Federal blue box 180 grainers.
The other way is like some of you have suggested and go for the 165gr mono metals or possibly even a federal bonded or edge. some of them are like unicorn excrement over here as well

Example for reference back in december (dragged through a kiwi forum posts), a box of 100 143gr 6,5mm hornady ELDX projectiles went for 263 kiwi dollars on our local internet selling website. at the present exchange rate that is $179 US.
Normally nudging 140 kiwi at the moment for reference.
Whilst not widespread, not an isolated event either. Shooters gotta shoot

@csmiffy I think I've seen you on that forum

200gr partitions perform exceptionally well in the P14 300H&H sitting in the safe a few feet from me..

Ive got a box of barnes 200gr tsx on the reloading bench I've been meaning to give a try.. but havent gotten around to it... I honestly havent seen a reason to load them yet.. mostly because I've got 50 of the partitions already loaded up that keep great groups and perform perfectly for any game I'd want to shoot with them.. and another 100 partitions sitting in a box waiting to be loaded.. as little as the 300 H&H gets shot, Im guessing it will be a few years before I get motivated to figure out a good load for the barnes..

Expected range of your shots? (i do pic some long shots in NZ, but...) Even 300 WM (my choice) can be considered traditional/DH now (marketed 1963.) 'Have seen a pile of Enfields (made in PA in what would become Rem's Eddystone plant-Mfr'ed by Baldwin Locomotive Works prior that owned the factory) converted to .308 Norma (also very nice!) Any of the 300s mentioned will get the job done! You could use 180 NPTs to 400 yds for everything, TTSX (could even use their 165s and they'll fly a bit flatter with less wind drift at hunting distances.) I've never had a 300 mag fail me using bullets suited for the intended game (165s for deer, 180-200 for bear/elk/PG.) The larger weight mono bullets are less dense so they tend to eat up more powder space (and sacrifice V, no matter what the factory says.) The Barnes LRX are good for long shots (i loved the predecessor MRXs but they don't make 'em anymore.) The cartridges mentioned are all ballistically equal-enough, and if you handload, you can tailor it toward your intended quarry and range. Good luck! NZ stags are something to behold!!!

Last edited:
Ive got a box of barnes 200gr tsx on the reloading bench I've been meaning to give a try.. but havent gotten around to it... I honestly havent seen a reason to load them yet.. mostly because I've got 50 of the partitions already loaded up that keep great groups and perform perfectly for any game I'd want to shoot with them.. and another 100 partitions sitting in a box waiting to be loaded.. as little as the 300 H&H gets shot, Im guessing it will be a few years before I get motivated to figure out a good load for the barnes..
I've used the 200gr TSX in my 300H&H and it's one of the most accurate bullets I've used in my rifle! Running at 2900f/s in front of RL-26 it's a potent combo for even the biggest PG. Given the non-availability of Barnes in SA, I'm rather saving my few boxes of Barnes for a special occasion - although I'm not sure what that occasion might be! Ha ha!

I shot 180gr TSX in my 300WM in Alaska and they worked great on my grizzly. I then loaded up 180gr TTSX to take to Namibia last month and they worked just as well there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LenoraChap

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg