300 H&H my new favorite

I have only shot 1 deer in Scotland with my .300HH. I have had the rifle since 2004. Maybe its time to let it fire up in Africa. Love these threads here.

Ladies & Gents,

The .300 H&H aka: “.30 Super” was I believe, first drawn up primarily as an African cartridge and specifically for open geography, grasslands, scattered / sparse foliage hunting conditions.

When hunting in such open conditions, it is my favorite “long shooter” for the multiple species of hooved game that I have been fortunate enough to hunt, over my lifetime.
I have had perfect success with it using 180 grain flat based spitzers, at just a little over 2800+ feet per second, at home here in Alaska and likewise in Africa.
This load has proven itself quite accurate and likewise quite effective on game for me personally.
I know some .30-06 rifles will tolerate 180 grainers at that speed, without showing dangerous pressure (and some will not).
However, I have previously owned more than one or two rifles in the H&H caliber and due to its generous powder capacity, this proved to be only a “middle” load for the vintage classic .30 Super cartridge.

Personally, I believe the main reason newer .30 Magnum cartridges have experienced popularity is due to successful advertising.
In terms of hunting conditions and species typically hunted with .30 caliber rifles, the newer .300 Magnums do not really show any serious advantage over the original .300 H&H Magnum.
Again, keeping in mind the soft skinned critters usually hunted with it, the .300 H&H abides in that “sweet spot” of flat shooting with an adequately high ballistic coefficient and sectional density, aka: “heavy enough” bullet but yet, very tolerable recoil.

Also worth mentioning, is that for whatever reason, rifles in this caliber are usually quite accurate (usually).
Other members here have already mentioned the slick feeding and easy extraction of this excellent cartridge.
I will add to that, “even when the barrel is too hot to touch”, mostly due to the cartridge’s remarkably streamline shape.

In parting, I’d like to say that I do not generally participate in shooting animals over extremely long range.
This is due partly because no matter how good of a rifle shot any person might be, between the time the sear lets slip, the primer pops, the powder burns, etc., etc. and the bullet arrives somewhere out there, at extreme long range, the animal can take a step this way or that, resulting in our bullet piercing a non-vital spot.

Having said that, on a very few rare occasions, old Velo Dog here admits to indeed having shot approximately a half dozen or less animals, out around 400 yards / meters.
That is the threshold of my long shot capability …. from shooting sticks anyway.
As eluded to already, in fairness to the animals, I much prefer to get closer when at all possible.
However, for those times when I find myself too weak to resist temptation of firing upon a distant target, the .300 H&H with 180 grain spitzer would be my #1 preference.

Stay calm and shoot straight,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
Great comments Mr Velo Dog. Please resolve to honor us with a post a day! We will all be blessed and also be noticeably smarter! Your friend , Brian

Great comments Mr Velo Dog. Please resolve to honor us with a post a day! We will all be blessed and also be noticeably smarter! Your friend , Brian
Hello Mr. gesch,

I talk too much.
In some cultures that is regarded as an indicator of low intellect.
I have no argument against such a concept.

Your friend,
Paul.

Good morning Mr Velo, I am a pretty good judge of character! Keep writing. We need it. Your friend, Brian

Yesterday, I did it....

Won an auction,... a pre 64 Winchester 70 in . 300 Holland & Holland.

810 €, sipping included.

.3001.jpg
.3002.jpg

The rifle comes with a Zeiss 8x56 Diatal on pivot mount.

The rear sight seems to be missing.

This scope/mount combination looks like a "very German one", probably used in the 80th for hunting pigs in the dawn.

I want to restore the rifle, possibly adding a flat mounted plains game scope, to give the rifle a bit more classic lines.

HWL

Last edited:
Yesterday, I did it....

810 €, sipping included.

View attachment 473366View attachment 473367

This scope/mount combination looks like a "very German one", probably used in the 80th for hunting pigs in the dawn.

I want to restore the rifle, possibly adding a flat mounted plains game scope, to give the rifle a bit more classic lines.

HWL
Now if I could just find one of those in left hand drive…..

Yesterday, I did it....

810 €, sipping included.

View attachment 473366View attachment 473367

HWL
Pricing the scope at about $400, you paid $410 for the rifle!

Outstanding robbery.

DB

I would also be "sipping included".....

Reactions: HWL
It's not a Brno, sorry for that.

:cool:

HWL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MonroeCast

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with
Grz63 wrote on Cecil Hammonds's profile.
Greetings from Clermont -ferrand !!