300 H&H Mag SILVERTIP on plains game

CZDiesel

Gold supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
United States
So I just found three boxes of 300 H&H SILVERTIP that I had stashed in my collection that was probably bought in early 90s…
It has been stored properly so not worried about its condition but just wondering about your thoughts on it for my upcoming hunt?
The 300 will only be used for Kudu and lighter game…
Should I take this classic load with my classic Pre-64 Winchester and hunt with it!?!?
Or should it go back into the vault?
IMG_0681.jpeg
IMG_0682.jpeg

They will work but there is better quality bullets available. I’d practice with them and hunt with better bullets. A kudu is still a big animal and a 300 H&H is pushing those bullets fast. They have the potential to fragment and not penetrate well at closer ranges.

Where are you going?

They will work but there is better quality bullets available. I’d practice with them and hunt with better bullets. A kudu is still a big animal and a 300 H&H is pushing those bullets fast. They have the potential to fragment and not penetrate well at closer ranges.

Where are you going?
Save Valley, Zimbabwe… The Cheskwe and Sango

They're not old enough to be collector's items...........I say use them. They will work just fine for your stated quarry...........have a great hunt.....FWB

I wouldn’t use old silver tips on anything. I had bought 5 old yellow boxed 338 silver tips many years ago. Thought the same thing, vintage ammo / vintage rifle might be a cool thing……until I started sighting them in and the Chronograph was all over the place and I had a primer rupture. I proceeded to take apart a couple shells and glad I did, powder didn’t look good to me, clumpy. Modern ammo is way better option.

All depends from where the old ammunition is coming and how it was stored. Accordingly, you can decide whether you can use them for something or not. Making this decision is not always easy and if something is not clear, it is better not to use it. In our case but, it is about the ammunition from @CZDiesel and at first glance this ammo is suitable for hunting PG. The Silvertip bullet is an improved classic spitzer SP bullet that can still be used nowadays for some game species.

@CZDiesel - I am a fan of those old Silver Tips in .270win for whitetail, now having said that I would test them by both chronograph and if possible use them for deer/hog hunting to see if you are happy with the terminal ballistics.

If your in Colorado, I would think an elk would be the perfect test/practice to build confidence in them.

I'd look at it this way: You are planning an amazing hunting trip, investing a lot of time, money and energy. I believe that there are a lot of better bullets and ammo available today. I'd use the old ammo for hunting locally and pick up something else for your upcoming trip.

Good luck on your hunt.

I am not a fan of Winchester Silver Tips, at all. On my life’s first African safari to Kenya in 1974, I lost a very big African male lion when I made a frontal chest shot with a 300Gr Winchester Silver Tip factory load fired from a .375 Holland & Holland Magnum. Later, my white hunter followed up and finished off the wounded cat. A postmortem revealed that the 300Gr Winchester Silver Tip bullet had completely broken apart & disintegrated into pieces without penetrating some 3.5” through the lion’s adrenaline filled hardened chest muscles. That one incident immediately made me swear off Winchester Silver Tips for life.

The pre 1970 Winchester Silver Tips used a proprietary jacketing material made from a combination of copper, nickel & zinc. There were excellent. After 1970 (up until the discontinuation of Winchester Silver Tips in 1999), Winchester (in an ill perceived attempt at cutting down manufacturing costs) decided to switch to an aluminum jacket for their Silver Tip bullets. Quality immediately deteriorated overnight.

In my humble opinion, Kudu are big sized game animals and can die very hard if hit improperly with the first shot. I have always had more successful results on them with Remington Core Lokts instead of Winchester Silver Tips.
IMG_1404.jpeg
IMG_1403.jpeg

I agree with Habib. Aluminum tipped Silvertip bullets were very high on the splatter factor scale. When/if they did kill elk, they made a mess. Silvertips had a very bad reputation in western Montana. Winchester stopped making them for a reason: they were crap. But they looked cool.

I wouldn’t use old silver tips on anything. I had bought 5 old yellow boxed 338 silver tips many years ago. Thought the same thing, vintage ammo / vintage rifle might be a cool thing……until I started sighting them in and the Chronograph was all over the place and I had a primer rupture. I proceeded to take apart a couple shells and glad I did, powder didn’t look good to me, clumpy. Modern ammo is way better option.
Do you remember what grain weight the .338 Winchester Magnum Silver Tips were ?

You are spending a great deal on your trip. A couple of boxes of modern quality ammunition will be one of the least expensive investments you make. When you crater the shoulder of a lost zebra, those modern bonded core bullets will look like they would have been a real bargain. There is nothing nostalgic about old ammunition designs or performance.

As others have suggested.. use the silver tips for range fodder/practice.. if you reload, that older winchester brass was really good quality and worth holding on to as once fired.. if you dont reload, Im sure someone here would either trade or buy them from you... and help finance a box of better ammo for Africa..

Agree with the comments above.
There’s far better factory ammo available.
If hand loading is an option, the world is your oyster.
High quality 200gr bullets at 2750-2800 fps, is where the H&H really shines.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeanieduach

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Brian wrote on Skshyk's profile.
Thank for the laughing post! You have a keen sense of humour. I am usually able to just ignore those geniuses but this time I could not get past it. chuckle, Brian
Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]