300 H&H Bullet and Powder advice

Tango

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
South Africa, Argentina, Czech Republic
My 2024 resolution is to get a load developed for my Ruger No 1 300 H&H. Wonder if anyone could suggest bullets & powders they've had good experiences with in this rifle/caliber combo, (or just 300 H&H in general)? 180gr and 200gr Partitions are my go to's for 30 cal, but obviously plenty to choose from. Not looking to push max velocity etc, just a nice, accurate all-around plains game load. Thanks

I’m typically a Barnes ttsx guy… but both mine and my wife’s 300 H&H shoot 200gr partitions over an IMR 4064 load extremely well.. so that’s our go-to 300 H&H load..

My 300 H&H is a Rem 721… hers is a custom built on a P14 action..

Thank you. That 200gr Partition is what I'm leaning towards...classic caliber and bullet combination. Probably where I'll start.

I had great results on Sable, Nyala and Blesbok using my Ruger #1 in 300 H&H. I used 180 grain Barnes Tipped TSX. Very accurate and great terminal performance.

Looking forward to the responses and suggestions as I too have a Number 1 in 300 H&H that I hope to reload for.
Which scope did you go with? I use Leupold 1.5-5's on my 7x57 No 1's, but thought the 300 H&H should have a little more?

Zeiss Conquest V4 4-16 x44. It was spur of the moment on sale purchase. I've always wanted to try a Zeiss (but this one is still in the box). Have Trijicon 1-4 x24 on DG rifles and they are great IMHO but too low a power for the 300 H&H.

Thank you. That 200gr Partition is what I'm leaning towards...classic caliber and bullet combination. Probably where I'll start.
200gr + 65.5 gr H4350 = 2900fps
its .5 gr below max 66gr

My #1 likes:
200 NP 66gn N560 or 74gn StaBall HD
180 TTSX with 69gn R23 or 70gn R26

My X-Bolt likes:
200 NP with 75gn Magnum, 65gn R23 or 68gn R26
180NP with 68gn R23, 69gn H4831 or 72gn R26

Have not been delighted with Hornady brass. Some cases had head separations on the first firing, some last for three. Have not yet tried other brands of brass. Hope to find some soon.

My #1 likes:
200 NP 66gn N560 or 74gn StaBall HD
180 TTSX with 69gn R23 or 70gn R26

My X-Bolt likes:
200 NP with 75gn Magnum, 65gn R23 or 68gn R26
180NP with 68gn R23, 69gn H4831 or 72gn R26

Have not been delighted with Hornady brass. Some cases had head separations on the first firing, some last for three. Have not yet tried other brands of brass. Hope to find some soon.

Same here with the brass. The case head to shoulder datum is .030 short on the new stuff. The case body can’t take the stretch is all I can come up with. No problems with Norma, Remington or Winchester.

Nice to know on the brass. I have a good stock of loaded Nosler ammunition I'll be converting into empty brass soon.

Thanks for the tip on the brass. I will try necking it up to .35 caliber and then resizing. Maybe that will reposition the datum line.

Thanks for the tip on the brass. I will try necking it up to .35 caliber and then resizing. Maybe that will reposition the datum line.

That’s a good idea. A guy might also be able to seat a bullet long jamming into the lands and use a light load to fire form. I only had 50 of the Hornady and by the time I figured out what was going on I’d already ruined them.

I tried necking .300 H&H cases up with a .35 cal tapered expander die. An application of case lube made the operation go smoothly. I then resized them with a .300 H&H die, gradually adjusting until they would just chamber easily. This seems to have solved the shoulder datum problem. I will try them as soon as I feel like going out in sub-freezing temperatures.

Thanks for the tip gbflyer. You likely saved me from ruining 180 cases.

I have 100 new 300 H&H Norma brass. I'm going to try stuffing them with N560 and 200gr Swift A-frames. I'm hoping this will be my PG load for this summer.

Same here with the brass. The case head to shoulder datum is .030 short on the new stuff. The case body can’t take the stretch is all I can come up with. No problems with Norma, Remington or Winchester.
@gbflyer
You could always expand the neck to 238 then resize with a false shoulder to a firm fit. Then on firing the case will for to the chamber.
Then size as per usual, no more headspace problems.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FloyMoorin

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!