30-06 or 375 h&h for a leopards.

Either caliber would be fine. To me the determining factor is the correct ammunition bullet and bullet placement.
I shot my leopard with a 300 Win Mag. A second piece of advice have a high quality scope for your rifle. You will probably shoot it in very low light.

Last edited:
The reason I asked this question honestly is I would very soon be going behind a man-eater which has taken 8 victims in 12 days.
Now I have a 375 and an 06 so was debating which rifle to carry. Of course a shotgun would be there for a backup.
Ammunition available as follows:-
375 silvertips 300grs by Winchester.
06 soft points 180grs by S&B.
Cheers.
This sounds exciting! Are these opportunities common in India?

Of the 2 you mention and for the circumstance I would use the 375.....
Of the 2 I mentioned is because we don't have much of an excess to here in India.
Thanks.

Either caliber would be fine. To me the determining factor is the correct ammunition bullet and bullet placement.
I shot my leopard with a 300 Win Mag. A second piece of advice have a high quality scope for your rifle. You will probably shoot it in very low light.
Yes most probably after sunset.

Because it's problem animals, are you free to do all what you want to kill man-eating leopards or are they some rules to respect ?
Are you allowed to use, if available where you are, thermal scopes or night vision ? Or if the darkness is there, the only legal option is artificial light ?
To remove quickly a problem animal, a pack of hounds, with the correct training, could be also a effective option or dogs are forbidden ?

Because it's problem animals, are you free to do all what you want to kill man-eating leopards or are they some rules to respect ?
Are you allowed to use, if available where you are, thermal scopes or night vision ? Or if the darkness is there, the only legal option is artificial light ?
To remove quickly a problem animal, a pack of hounds, with the correct training, could be also a effective option or dogs are forbidden ?
There are no rules as such and the priority is to get the problematic animal out.
One can use thermal scopes or night vision but I don't as I don't have any. I will use good quality german scopes and artificial light a spotlight at night.
Unfortunately we don't have trained hounds here. However in this case senerio one could use.
Cheers

Reactions: FEJ
There are no rules as such and the priority is to get the problematic animal out.
One can use thermal scopes or night vision but I don't as I don't have any. I will use good quality german scopes and artificial light a spotlight at night.
Unfortunately we don't have trained hounds here. However in this case senerio one could use.
Cheers
Thank you very much for infos and good luck to get this man-eater.

As long as recoil is a non-issue, 375. See above for bullet choices.

30-06 will make him dead. 375 makes him deader, sooner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNBChassid

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]