30-06 or 375 h&h for a leopards.

Bapu

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Ladies and gentlemen which of the above two caliber would you use strictly on a leopard hunt and why.
Here in India for man-eater leopards we use most of the time 30-06 180grs soft point bullet with excellent results.
Wanted to hear of your experiences.
Thank you.

I would think either would work just fine. If I was walking out the door right now for a leopard hunt and those were my options, I would grab the 375.

Last edited:
I would either would work just fine. If I was talking out the door right now for a leopard hunt and those were my options, I would grab the 375.
Do agree 375's a great caliber no doubt.
Thanks.

Either one but would prefer a lighter non bonded bullet for the 375. Lighter then 300 gr for increased velocity .

Ladies and gentlemen which of the above two caliber would you use strictly on a leopard hunt and why.
Here in India for man-eater leopards we use most of the time 30-06 180grs soft point bullet with excellent results.
Wanted to hear of your experiences.
Thank you.

The key is how lousy of a bullet can you find, rather than what caliber. In this modern high-tech era, most bullets are quite stout, the opposite of what you want on a 180lb thin skinned cat.

I used a 300gr A-frame out of a 375hh. I wish I had used a weaker bullet with better expansion on small animals, but I got the job done.

The key is how lousy of a bullet can you find, rather than what caliber. In this modern high-tech era, most bullets are quite stout, the opposite of what you want on a 180lb thin skinned cat.

I used a 300gr A-frame out of a 375hh. I wish I had used a weaker bullet with better expansion on small animals, but I got the job
Absolutely. Do agree.

375 H&H with 260 grs Accubonds or Partitions bullets, whichever one shoots better out of the rifle.

I used to say 30-06. A 180 grain lead nose would be great like you say.

But now I think the 375 would just be better in every way. I personally have no leopard experience. But I can’t see why a bigger calibre going just a feee hundred fps slower would be worse.

My best friend just killed his cat with a 375 and 300 grain Banres TSX. Cat couldn’t get 10 yards from the tree. Another hunter on the same safari cat was DRT with same setup. About 70 yard shots

A strong mid bore like .375 or a 9.3 seems really ideal going about 2500 fps

30-06 with either 150 or 180 gr bullet. Killed mine with 250 gr .338 which double lunged him with a .338 entry wound and .339 exit wound. He went almost fifty yards which was a rather interesting follow-up at night. The same hit from an '06 would have likely put him down instantly.

That said, the glass on either is more important than the caliber.

I used to say 30-06. A 180 grain lead nose would be great like you say.

But now I think the 375 would just be better in every way. I personally have no leopard experience. But I can’t see why a bigger calibre going just a feee hundred fps slower would be worse.

My best friend just killed his cat with a 375 and 300 grain Banres TSX. Cat couldn’t get 10 yards from the tree. Another hunter on the same safari cat was DRT with same setup. About 70 yard shots

A strong mid bore like .375 or a 9.3 seems really ideal going about 2500 fps
Honestly never used a 375 on a leopard and therefore was curious to know.
Cheers.

30-06 with either 150 or 180 gr bullet. Killed mine with 250 gr .338 which double lunged him with a .338 entry wound and .339 exit wound. He went almost fifty yards which was a rather interesting follow-up at night. The same hit from an '06 would have likely put him down instantly.

That said, the glass on either is more important than the caliber.
Yes glass very important do agree.
Thanks.

30-06 with a 180gr Partition or Ballistic Tip.

The reason I asked this question honestly is I would very soon be going behind a man-eater which has taken 8 victims in 12 days.
Now I have a 375 and an 06 so was debating which rifle to carry. Of course a shotgun would be there for a backup.
Ammunition available as follows:-
375 silvertips 300grs by Winchester.
06 soft points 180grs by S&B.
Cheers.

• Wow
Reactions: FEJ
The only leopard I have shot was with my .375 Holland & Holland magnum and a Hornady Interlock 300 gr. The leopard went down of his tree, stone dead, before hitting the ground. The exit wound was pretty big but it was the only rifle I had that was suitable for hunting this animal. The other was a long range rifle.
It means my experience is very limited but for hunting leopard, the caliber won't be my first concern because the animal is not so big. I think everything from .270 Winchester will do the job on leopard. I won't even be scaried to shoot a leopard even with my 6.5 Creedmoor, and a good Interlock 160 gr or a Nosler Partition 140 gr.
I would prefer to have first a high quality scope with a big objective to gather the biggest amount of light possible. For my eyes, German and Austrian scope with 50 or 56 mm objective are the best.
Such animal is usually shot in low light condition and I prefer to see them well through the scope to insure my shot and avoid problems later.
A friend shot many leopards with .30-06 and classic PMP Soft Point 180 gr and it always did the trick when the cat was well touched. But if you shoot in guts, I don't think a .375 H&H magnum will make a big difference ?
Better to shoot such potential dangerous animal with a rifle you trust.

My M70 in 375 shoots the 260gr accubonds extremely well, rings 8" steel at 300 yards all day. That would be a great cat load, I would think.

The only leopard I have shot was with my .375 Holland & Holland magnum and a Hornady Interlock 300 gr. The leopard went down of his tree, stone dead, before hitting the ground. The exit wound was pretty big but it was the only rifle I had that was suitable for hunting this animal. The other was a long range rifle.
It means my experience is very limited but for hunting leopard, the caliber won't be my first concern because the animal is not so big. I think everything from .270 Winchester will do the job on leopard. I won't even be scaried to shoot a leopard even with my 6.5 Creedmoor, and a good Interlock 160 gr or a Nosler Partition 140 gr.
I would prefer to have first a high quality scope with a big objective to gather the biggest amount of light possible. For my eyes, German and Austrian scope with 50 or 56 mm objective are the best.
Such animal is usually shot in low light condition and I prefer to see them well through the scope to insure my shot and avoid problems later.
A friend shot many leopards with .30-06 and classic PMP Soft Point 180 gr and it always did the trick when the cat was well touched. But if you shoot in guts, I don't think a .375 H&H magnum will make a big difference ?
Better to shoot such potential dangerous animal with a rifle you trust.
Thanks for the inputs.

Of the 2 you mention and for the circumstance I would use the 375.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNBChassid

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]