30-06 165 grn TTSX fast enough

I’m loading some 165 grain TTSX ,for my wife’s 30-06 for our upcoming trip. They are shooting great! They are running at about 2700fps @ muzzle. Is this fast enough?
Plains game up to Kudu.
I doubt you'll find a kudu to argue they're not fast enough!

Straight line penetration.

Barnes and similar have gone through stomach and guts of big antelopes for me and reached the chest cavity.

While still expanding and causing great trauma for a good kill.

I've pulled many accubonds that look like pancakes. Partions… broken and smushed into pieces.

Broadside shots I can’t deny those two kill “better” and work very well.

Shooting a 30 cal at a big antelope running away from me? Only the Barnes will go the length of the animal

Your experience may vary
I doubt the OP’s wife will be making running Texas heart shots on her trip but hey u never know!

I doubt the OP’s wife will be making running Texas heart shots on her trip but hey u never know!
I certainly hope she isn’t! However the ability to get penetration out of a lighter bullet is why I’m going with the TTSX. If I can get flatter trajectory while getting just as good penetration as compared to the 180 accubonds or such I see it as a win. I had never used either bullet so the experiences of others ( at least on game animals) is what I have to rely on. Both seem to work equally so I went with what I can get to shoot the flattest. I am hoping to find out for myself in about 28 days!

I bought a box of 168 Barnes TSX back in 2019 in prep for my second trip to Africa but could not get them to group. May have been an issue with my barrel. And yes, I did seat the bullets the prescribed jump to lands. The Springfield's two land late WWII barrel had a corroded stretch about two thirds towards muzzle. It had a history of odd flyer. Figured it was time for a change. Nobody was making barrels during the pandemic but I was able to pick up a very nice 4-land military barrel on ebay in time for the 2021 safari. I still have part of the box of TSX so should see if they will work in this barrel. For that trip I stayed with 165 Partitions left over from first safari with usual good results. Grouped well enough and good killers but they can be messy close range. I shot this buck last fall with 165 gr Partition in Federal factory ammo at just over 200 yards. I declined to shoot him looking at me. As he turned to take off I hit him broadside just behind the left front shoulder. Bullet deflected and lodged under skin of right ham without breaking bones. It was a quick shot and bullet hit exactly where I expected. Did not expect it to jump sideways. As usual, front half down to partition was gone.
20231121_113037.jpg

I bought a box of 168 Barnes TSX back in 2019 in prep for my second trip to Africa but could not get them to group. May have been an issue with my barrel. And yes, I did seat the bullets the prescribed jump to lands. The Springfield's two land late WWII barrel had a corroded stretch about two thirds towards muzzle. It had a history of odd flyer. Figured it was time for a change. Nobody was making barrels during the pandemic but I was able to pick up a very nice 4-land military barrel on ebay in time for the 2021 safari. I still have part of the box of TSX so should see if they will work in this barrel. For that trip I stayed with 165 Partitions left over from first safari with usual good results. Grouped well enough and good killers but they can be messy close range. I shot this buck last fall with 165 gr Partition in Federal factory ammo at just over 200 yards. I declined to shoot him looking at me. As he turned to take off I hit him broadside just behind the left front shoulder. Bullet deflected and lodged under skin of right ham without breaking bones. It was a quick shot and bullet hit exactly where I expected. Did not expect it to jump sideways. As usual, front half down to partition was gone.
View attachment 623614
I’m still playing with her 30-06 and my 300 wsm (180 grn). So far I’m not having any trouble get good groups. I have a load for each I’m very comfortable with but never know when the nest load might be even better .
I shot an elk with 165 grn partitions years ago. While many people have moved on to “newer and better” things they are still very good bullets and suitable for just about anything.

I’m still playing with her 30-06 and my 300 wsm (180 grn). So far I’m not having any trouble get good groups. I have a load for each I’m very comfortable with but never know when the nest load might be even better .
I shot an elk with 165 grn partitions years ago. While many people have moved on to “newer and better” things they are still very good bullets and suitable for just about anything.
At around 2750-2800fps, the 165gr Partition is an exceptional game bullet.
If your 30-06 likes them, plains game won’t.

I shoot 168gr TTSX over either imr4064 or H4350. The Barnes people say the longer 168gr is made for 30-06. The shorter 165s are for 308 shorter action. worked great in Africa on everything from Impala to zebra and wildebeest

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
uiftyhgvgf

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]