30-06 165 grn TTSX fast enough

My own personal requirement for Barnes bullets is an impact speed of 2000fps or greater. I would use a ballistics calculator to determine my maximum range based off this requirement.

I used factory loaded 168s in my 30-06 on one hunt and handloaded for another in Namibia with approximately the same speed (Barnes claims 2800 on their Vor-TX ammo). Zero issues with eight animals if memory serves me right. Two were kudu, one gemsbok and a zebra for the bigger stuff. Nothing went more than a couple steps.

According to Barnes the 168 has a better ogive for the 30-06 and 308, while the 165 is more for the 300 mags. But if it shoots well, don't change it.
The Barnes Vor-TX 168 grain TTSX factory ammo is consistent ammo. My last 10-round test about a month ago resulted in an average MV of 2,779 fps from a .30-06 24 inch barrel.

The 165 going 2700 fps based on it’s ballistics will still be going 1840 fps at 400 yds.

So as long as you don’t shoot something past that range it should be fine. (The LRX bullets claim 1600 fps for adequate expansion)

2700 is enough for Bushveld distances. (< 300m)
I’ve only fiddled with the 168gr TSX in my 30-06, but got to 2750 with VV N550 at slightly over book max and a longer COAL. No pressure issues in my rifle.

I need to play with the 168gr TTSX at some point.

Just happened to finish loading today the 168gr TTSX to Barnes' maximum published load using Ramshot Big Game. My .30-06 24" barrel is pretty darn smooth inside, so it just might reach ~2,870 fps.
I'll find out next week. Wherever the barrel finds its happy place with this load, it's intended for Namibian plains game.

Last edited:
I’m loading some 165 grain TTSX ,for my wife’s 30-06 for our upcoming trip. They are shooting great! They are running at about 2700fps @ muzzle. Is this fast enough?
Plains game up to Kudu.
I’ve shot factory 150s out of my Ruger mark 2 at around 3000 to 3050 depending on which box. I feel like losing that much velocity for 15 more grains isn’t helping things out. I know that my experience with copper is the faster the better. Often times I feel like they’re more devestating then soft point lead rounds under 150 yards. However beyond 300 yards they tend to lack much in the expansion department. My experiences have been with deer and black bear.
150s I feel are money in and 06 and 180s in a 300win when it comes to barnes and 30 cal offerings

Just as a quick heads up.. There seems to be some evidence that the 168 gr. bullet you can buy for reloading are harder/tougher than the bullet used in Barnes own ammunition. There is a thread on the Norwegian forum Kammeret whith extensive testing of many different bullets. Here is a snapshot from a test done on Barnes own ammunition and bullets available to the reloader. Shot at 600ms ( about 200fps)

Barnes ammunition on the left, reloaded ammunition on the right.

1722500363172.png

Let me start by saying I don’t reload. I buy Barnes factory loads for our 300 WM and use the 165 grain TTSX. They leave the barrel above 3000 fps so anything inside 500 yards will produce excellent expansion.

IMO - Dropping to the 150 grain TTSX would up your speed for good expansion and extend your range a bit. In truth, you are not likely to get a green light from the PH on shots over 200 yards. They want to keep the game as close as possible with most shots well under 150 yards.

Your load is good for all PG animals with proper shot placement. Practice off sticks as often as you can.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewBed

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available
booker wrote on Wesley's profile.
Christensen MPP 308 w/o brace
CZ 1012 12 ga
Tokarev TBP 12ga Bull Pup
Stoeger M3000 12ga
Springfield Prodogy 9mm
booker wrote on Wesley's profile.
Hello Wesley, on your M70 .416 do you only want cash or are you interested in trades?