30-06 165 grn TTSX fast enough

That should be okay, what distances are you anticipating? My .338WM was running them at about 2755fps with a 210gr. Killed a Red Hartebeest @305yds DRT.

Short answer...Yes. My experience has been most shots on plains game are taken under 250 yards.

I shot two moose with 358 win and 225 TSX. Though only going 2500 fps, the recovered bullets showed perfect expansion.
Your wife should be fine on plains game at reasonable distances.

Yes, that's fast enough for most distances you're likely to shoot at.
I shot plains game in Namibia, the largest of which was Gemsbok, Kudu and Zebra with that exact bullet from a 24 inch barrel 30.06 giving 2850 fps. Performance was great. I think the Kudu was the longest shot at something around 240 yds. I didn't get an Eland but think it would have been adequate for that as well.
Hope you and the missus have a great hunt.

Yes, that's fast enough for most distances you're likely to shoot at.
I shot plains game in Namibia, the largest of which was Gemsbok, Kudu and Zebra with that exact bullet from a 24 inch barrel 30.06 giving 2850 fps. Performance was great. I think the Kudu was the longest shot at something around 240 yds. I didn't get an Eland but think it would have been adequate for that as well.
Hope you and the missus have a great hunt.
Do you mind telling me what powder you were running?

If there is time remaining, consider dropping to the 150 TTSX. It will increase speed and reduce recoil for her. Varget works well and H414/Win 760 will turn up the speed if you have that on hand. The extra velocity also will help with wind correction inside of 250/300 yards.

If there is time remaining, consider dropping to the 150 TTSX. It will increase speed and reduce recoil for her. Varget works well and H414/Win 760 will turn up the speed if you have that on hand. The extra velocity also will help with wind correction inside of 250/300 yards.
I had seriously thought of the 150s. I do have 760 powder I could try. Thanks

I used IMR4064 with 165gr projectiles back in the day and since I am waiting on my new to me 30-06 that is where I plan on starting again. I will be using the TTSX and Interlocks both in 165gr in this gun. I have noticed that a lot of my hunting guns and loads are calling for Ram Shot Big Game so I might eventually give that a run as a back up to my current powder supply.

Barnes Data 165gr TTSX 30-06

Attachments

I would just get some 168ttsx s

The 165 is the TSX. I shot an aoudad with 165tsx loaded by federal at 380 yards and was underwhelmed.

I asked this question before my first safari as my Ruger #1 shot the older 165tsx so well and it was available. The TTSX is an improvement for .30 cal for sure.

I shot everything from duiker to kudu on my trip this year with a 30-06 and the Federal Premium ammo loaded with the 165 grain TSX. Worked incredibly well for me.

2700 is fine. Barnes reports a minimum of 1800 fps for good expansion. Say 2000 fps to be safe. In a .30-06 you shouldn't drop down below that until you're around 400 yards.

I agree on going with the 168 gr TTSX unless you are looking for maximum penetration. The 165 is designed for 300 magnumns, or so I've read.

IMO, 2,700 fps for an '06 with 165/168s seems a bit low unless lower recoil is a priority. Nothing wrong with that, if so.

FWIW, I get a bit over 2,750 fps in my 22" Tikka 30-06 with 180 A-Frames using H4350.

I used factory loaded 168s in my 30-06 on one hunt and handloaded for another in Namibia with approximately the same speed (Barnes claims 2800 on their Vor-TX ammo). Zero issues with eight animals if memory serves me right. Two were kudu, one gemsbok and a zebra for the bigger stuff. Nothing went more than a couple steps.

According to Barnes the 168 has a better ogive for the 30-06 and 308, while the 165 is more for the 300 mags. But if it shoots well, don't change it.

You can easily call Barnes and they will confirm as mentioned that the .30 cal 165 was made for magnum speeds while the newer 168 ttsx (was the precursor to the LRX line) was designed to expand at lower velocity- more inline with ‘06 and ‘08 speeds.

That said I like 150s and even 125s in the 308 for mono metal bullets

I'd expect either to expand the same and wouldn't change if it shoots great. Barnes doesn't mention any difference in expansion, though an email could clear that up.

Straight from their Tipped TSX FAQs about 30 cal bullets

"These bullets have different ogive geometries. The 165-grain TSX incorporates a shorter tangent ogive in the nose profile. It’s designed for cartridges with short magazines such as the .300 WSM and .300 Win Mag. The 168-grain TSX BT has a secant ogive which lengthens the nose profile and has shown superb accuracy downrange. It offers the best of both worlds because it’s also a premium hunting bullet offering exceptional terminal performance. It is best suited for cartridges such as the .308 Winchester, .30-06 and .300 Weatherby."

I’m loading some 165 grain TTSX ,for my wife’s 30-06 for our upcoming trip. They are shooting great! They are running at about 2700fps @ muzzle. Is this fast enough?
Plains game up to Kudu.

Used TTSX, TSX, SST, 165 and168 grain bullets. My test loads velocities chronographed between 2680's to 2720 fps.Took them to Africa killed: Kudu, wildebeest, warthog, Impala, bushbuck, springbok, blesbok, and hartebeest, ranges from 30 to 359 yards with no problem.

Do you mind telling me what powder you were running?
@prdhuntrs
I checked my load data. Actually I have MV recorded as 2950, not 2850 fps. Used an older style chronograph so readings were probably not as accurate as my current Garmin Xero. On the Namibia hunt I shot my Balser R93 with a custom produced Blaser 24 inch ( 650 mm ) barrel. Anyway, my load is:
Case: Norma
Primer: Federal 210 Match
Powder: Norma URP
Charge: 57.20 gns
Projectile: Barnes TTSX 165 gn
COAL: 84.70 mm ( 3.33 inches ) - for the Blaser chamber
Av. MV: 2950 fps

I’m loading some 165 grain TTSX ,for my wife’s 30-06 for our upcoming trip. They are shooting great! They are running at about 2700fps @ muzzle. Is this fast enough?
Plains game up to Kudu.

My pet 308 load slings a 168gr ttsx right at 2700… I’ve taken everything from springbok to zebra with it… it’s plenty for kudu…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maybelle41

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]