$2K-4K Rifles

COSA

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I don't see many options in this price range in 375 or 416 calibers; I am thinking something like a Model 70 Safari Express with nicer wood/finish. Not looking for fancy, but the plain jane wood or laminate stocks don't excite me much. Any options I'm overlooking?

I don't see many options in this price range in 375 or 416 calibers; I am thinking something like a Model 70 Safari Express with nicer wood/finish. Not looking for fancy, but the plain jane wood or laminate stocks don't excite me much. Any options I'm overlooking?
CZ 550 has great 375’s with nicer wood in the $1,500-$2,000 range. I looked at many before I bought

I am sorry I meant 416 Rigby

You could buy a Kimber Caprivi in 416 Remington if you could find one. That's a pretty nice looking rifle for that price.

There are a lot of 416 Rigby Dakotas for $4500.

My 404 is for sale. I’m open to offers.

There are 375 and 416 Winchester 70s to be had out there lightly used for around 900 and new to near new for 1300-1500. Subtract those numbers from your 4000 cap and you have one heckuva piece of wood!

However there are a lot of factory Winchester 70s out there that already have really nice looking, correctly grained wood for strength in normal run factory stocks. Is this going to be a user for serious big and dangerous game? I've never seen burl or wood figure shoot anything. My thoughts would be to concentrate on a lightly used proven type rifle like a Winchester 70 and spend a relatively small amount of money on pillar bedding and maybe stock re-finish. The total $ for all that including rifle would leave a pretty good amount left over from the $2000-$4000 budget. Then add that surplus to the hunting trip fund.
Just thinking out loud. :)

Here's my lineup of DG rifles. All factory standard grade stocks. I pillar bedded all myself for only the cost of the alum pillars, bedding compound and my labor. I have left the BRNO as is. Seems their bedding is pretty stable and already a form of pillar bedding. Its group sizes and POIs are consistent, just as a properly bedded rifle has.

Top three- Winchester 70s
Bottom- BRNO ZKK
Not a dog in the bunch and even the most plain, the BRNO, is of good dense walnut and correctly grained for strength. Matter of fact the least attractive of the bunch shot a sweetheart of a group today- The BRNO 375 HH ;)

DG lineup.JPG

DG rifles.JPG

375 HH BRNO and target .JPG

Last edited:
A Remington 700 would only run you 1k, then u can afford the 3k Swarovski scope, to make it a tack driver !
I have a 700 in 300wm, definitely not one of my most expensive rifles, but I would say one of my best. It is always my go to rifle.

There you go. There is a 404 jeffery the most admired and highly preferred rifle by @Andrew Short

My Win M70 in 416 RM is a fantastic gun and if memory serves me correctly it was around $1200.

-matt

A Sako AV will be in this price range.

I agree with @Ike85123 that a rifle in the $1000 range will allow for a top quality scope. Then if you tire of the rifle, just keep the scope and upgrade.

You can get a Blaser R8 at the upper end of your price range, but the stock won’t be wood.

Here you go! Step right up to the Blaser R8 for $3274 new on Gunjoker! The pink/black “Mardi Gras” color scheme for the “man bun” 6.5CR shooters, and the corn stock BobNelson35Whelen signature model in .243 or .35 Whelen. Actually, the advertisement states they’re available in any caliber, even .375 and up?

F17C1FF0-2A9E-4F38-9E94-0F4B750292B4.jpeg
73A01838-DDEA-4BFA-ACBF-6282FE089B2D.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Fourfive8, I tried sending you a PM but couldn't for some reason. What velocity are you getting out of your 72 Gr. load of H4350? I'm trying to get my BRNO ZKK 602 to shoot groups like the one you did.

There are 375 and 416 Winchester 70s to be had out there lightly used for around 900 and new to near new for 1300-1500. Subtract those numbers from your 4000 cap and you have one heckuva piece of wood!

However there are a lot of factory Winchester 70s out there that already have really nice looking, correctly grained wood for strength in normal run factory stocks. Is this going to be a user for serious big and dangerous game? I've never seen burl or wood figure shoot anything. My thoughts would be to concentrate on a lightly used proven type rifle like a Winchester 70 and spend a relatively small amount of money on pillar bedding and maybe stock re-finish. The total $ for all that including rifle would leave a pretty good amount left over from the $2000-$4000 budget. Then add that surplus to the hunting trip fund.
Just thinking out loud. :)

Here's my lineup of DG rifles. All factory standard grade stocks. I pillar bedded all myself for only the cost of the alum pillars, bedding compound and my labor. I have left the BRNO as is. Seems their bedding is pretty stable and already a form of pillar bedding. Its group sizes and POIs are consistent, just as a properly bedded rifle has.

Top three- Winchester 70s
Bottom- BRNO ZKK
Not a dog in the bunch and even the most plain, the BRNO, is of good dense walnut and correctly grained for strength. Matter of fact the least attractive of the bunch shot a sweetheart of a group today- The BRNO 375 HH ;)

View attachment 396298

View attachment 396300

View attachment 396304
Such a nice collection of fine "working man's" rifles!

Fourfive8, I tried sending you a PM but couldn't for some reason. What velocity are you getting out of your 72 Gr. load of H4350? I'm trying to get my BRNO ZKK 602 to shoot groups like the one you did.
This rifle surprises me every time I shoot it. I cinch down the main action screws pretty tight. It has the funky barrel screw attachment that I only tighten to medium firm. It seems to have a built-in hump in the barrel channel near the fore end that provides some up pressure when all action screws are tightened. I have not messed with the bedding- almost afraid to because of how well it shoots.

I do not know the velocity for that load I showed a target of. That was two different bullets into same POI with that same charge of 72 gr of H4350. It is a load I have not worked up at all and have choreographed it yet. I don't believe it is hot or fast at all and certainly shows no high pressure signs. But obviously the rifle likes it and the harmonics must be spot on. I was planning on heading back to the range in the next couple of days depending on wind. I will chronograph the load next time out and let you know.

On GI there is are two Kimber Caprivi up for sale. The 458LOTT $3K it's a good deal, but I know you were looking at a 416 or below. The 375H&H is $4100 and it comes with a railmount Swaro scope, that's a wicked good deal.

On GI there is are two Kimber Caprivi up for sale. The 458LOTT $3K it's a good deal, but I know you were looking at a 416 or below. The 375H&H is $4100 and it comes with a railmount Swaro scope, that's a wicked good deal.
Just don't ask the guy on GI with the 458 Lott for sale if the rifle is still in new condition after being for sale in his store for over two years. He will cuss you out. (Trust me). Lol!

I would not hesitate to look at a Ruger RSM, I like them and converted one to 450 Rigby with out a lot of fuss.
Good Luck
Pat
p.s. I like the 602s as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3chunter

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!