.270 vs 7*57 Which is the best???

My son and I have used .270’s on four or five African hunts, taking a number of large plains game including multiple Kudu, Sable, Zebra, Topi and lots of other stuff, shooting mostly 150 grain Nosler Partitions or Barnes TTSX’s. Here at home I’ve taken elk and Alaskan Moose with that gun. You’ll do fine with any .270 Winchester.

But…. I’ve always wanted a 7x57! I’ve got a beautiful 2-pi Eve walnut blank that is begging to be put on a single shot action in 7x57.

My son and I have used .270’s on four or five African hunts, taking a number of large plains game including multiple Kudu, Sable, Zebra, Topi and lots of other stuff, shooting mostly 150 grain Nosler Partitions or Barnes TTSX’s. Here at home I’ve taken elk and Alaskan Moose with that gun. You’ll do fine with any .270 Winchester.

But…. I’ve always wanted a 7x57! I’ve got a beautiful 2-pi Eve walnut blank that is begging to be put on a single shot action in 7x57.
I found a 7x57 Ruger no.1 about 2 years ago, with a 22" barrel. A am not sure if a more handly little rifle exists. With good brass and the strength of a falling block action I have the rifle shooting 160gr bullets at 2800fps. If you have a drill press and routing table, it's reasonably easy to make your own Ruger no.1 stocks. Just practice on a cheap price of maple or something first.

Reactions: WAB
@m457109
If jack O'Connor didn't praise the 270 and beat it to death with high praise it would never have got off the ground. It won't do anything the 280 and old ought 6 won't do as good or better
Bob
Jack O’Connor was a pompous windbag that wasn’t fit to carry Elmer’s suitcase.

Sure, he could string words together using correct grammar and punctuation, but I found him to be full of himself. I had the displeasure of meeting him as a kid.

Jack O’Connor was a pompous windbag that wasn’t fit to carry Elmer’s suitcase.

Sure, he could string words together using correct grammar and punctuation, but I found him to be full of himself. I had the displeasure of meeting him as a kid.
That's too bad - I had the same reaction to Keith - except he wrote like a twelve year old who had failed English twice. As I said earlier in this thread, both chamberings are nearly perfect for the right applications.

I personally think the .270 with a 130 gr bullet is the best balanced deer rifle one can own. Second place by a tiny amount would be a 7x57, 7x64, 7x65R, .280, or 7mm 08. For Africa, because of 170gr class bullets and a healthy dose of nostalgia, I prefer the 7x57. I could care less what Elmer Keith might have struggled to articulate about any of them.

Last edited:
That's too bad - I had the same reaction to Keith - except he wrote like a twelve year old who had failed English twice. As I said earlier in this thread, both chamberings are nearly perfect for the right applications.

I personally think the .270 with a 130 gr bullet is the best balanced deer rifle one can own. Second place by a tiny amount would be a 7x57, 7x64, 7x65R, .280, or 7mm 08. For Africa, because of 170gr class bullets and a healthy dose of nostalgia, I prefer the 7x57. I could care less what Elmer Keith might have struggled to articulate about any of them.

Exactly. The .270 is one of the best western US calibers ever dreamt of for deer sized critters. The 7x57 with174 gr bullets is hands down the better choice for larger critters in the bush. One doesn’t have to be better than the other, they excel in different applications.

@Red Leg
Elmer and Jack may have been diametrically opposed but fortunately both schools of thought work.
We just have to choose what is right for us.
Throw in Roy's high velocity kills better and we have three camps to put our swags in.
Is one better than the other. Depends on what you choose, all will get the job done if used correctly.
Bob

Exactly. The .270 is one of the best western US calibers ever dreamt of for deer sized critters. The 7x57 with174 gr bullets is hands down the better choice for larger critters in the bush. One doesn’t have to be better than the other, they excel in different applications.
@WAB
If'n that was the case why did Roy invent the 257 Weatherby. The best beanfield rifle for long range deer in windy Texas apparently.
Just saying
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stencilmonkey

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]