270 grain vs 300grain which is better for cape buffalo and lioness

I dont like them and dont use them as I need a bullet that expands as designed everytime notmost of the time
Understand , so what do you use on Cape buffalo?

Rhino controlled expansion(Heavy for caliber) and recommend A frame, TBBC, Bitterroot

300 grain and soft. What kills the animal is in part the impact (energy). Heavier projectile carries more energy. Solid projectile might pass through and loose part of its energy. Buffalo is a tough animal, but as long as you hit the vitals you only need 12 inch penetration to get there in a broad side shot.
Is more important the correct animal position than a supper accurate shot placement.

You need maximum destruction of tussue and bone, straight line penetration and if the 90% or more of the bullet ends up under the skin on the otherside the better

Core Lokt?
For Cape Buffalo
1974-1981= RWS 300Gr Kegelspitze Cone Point (for the first shot) & RWS 300Gr round nosed steel jacketed FMJ solids (for follow up shots)
1982-1992= RWS 300Gr Kegelspitze Cone Point (for the first shot) & Remington 300Gr round nosed steel jacketed FMJ solids (for follow up shots)
1993-2019= Federal 300Gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw
2020-Present= Barnes 300Gr TSX

For Lion
1974-2020= RWS 300Gr Kegelspitze Cone Point or Nosler 300Gr Partition (which ever my white hunters could source for me).
2020-Present= Federal Power Shok 300Gr round nosed jacketed soft point

My father is planning on taking a lioness and Cape buffalo with his Remington 375 and was curious on which would be better. The 270 grain vs 300 grain solid or soft

Thank you
Use Barnes TSX. Then there is no need for solids.

My father is planning on taking a lioness and Cape buffalo with his Remington 375 and was curious on which would be better. The 270 grain vs 300 grain solid or soft

Thank you

270gr can add to the problem unless using hand loads. The lighter the bullet, the faster it moves. If that is a stout bullet, you'll get less expansion at the higher velocity.

If I was going to kill a lion, I would find the "worst" 270gr or 300gr bullet I can find. Something very, very soft. I'd have it going at moderate velocity of 2300-2400 FPS so it dumps its energy rather than zipping through.

For the buffalo, a 300gr stout bullet at full velocity would be a good idea. Swift A-Frame or TSX.

The great thing about 375s is that there is a bullet weight and strength to handle about any application. The terrible thing about 375s is no one bullet is "good enough" for all the possible applications from Klipspringer to elephant. Of particular challenge is leopard and lion, relatively light weight thin skinned animals, whereas most factory loads are designed for Buffalo/Hippo/Elephant.

Rhino controlled expansion(Heavy for caliber) and recommend A frame, TBBC, Bitterroot
Thank you Sir, out of the above Rhino is not available in the US, wish they were. I think Bitterrrot closed some time back. Any feedback on NF cup points or Semi Spitzers?

Lion/ cats I would say a 270gr fedral blue box ( hotcore) should be good
buffalo or lion a box of 300gr swift or Barnes vortex 300gr

i have a push feed 375ruger so am regulated to 300gr hornady DGX bonded unless I reload, then it would be 300gr tsx so I wouldn’t need to worry about solids

Last edited:
If you’re shooting TSX’s for buffalo, there is no need for solids. They expand reliably on buffalo and penetrate deeply. I know PH’s who just use TSX’s for backup on pretty much everything except elephants.

For lion, I think a bullet like a Bearclaw is actually a much better choice as they open rapidly yet penetrate deeply. A Nosler Partition or Swift A Frame would also be excellent for lion. I think any of those three are better choice for lion than a TSX, though I wouldn’t hesitate to shoot a lion with a TSX. The only lion I’ve shot was with a .416 400 grain Bearclaw and it was extremely effective. The lion didn’t go more than perhaps 20 yards, if that.

Lion/ cats I would say a 270gr fedral blue box ( hotcore) should be good
buffalo or lion a box of 300gr swift or Barnes vortex 300gr

i have a push feed 375ruger so am regulated to 300gr hornady DGX bonded unless I reload, then it would be 300gr tsx so I wouldn’t need to worry about solids

Check out Buffalo Bore ammunition for some different loadings for your .375 Ruger!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Faye228194

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia