.25 Caliber Rifle Cartridges and the Future of Them

I have said to my wife no more guns many times ! but after reading this 25 cal thread, may be 1 more. A 25/06 i am thinking a Howa 1500 long 270 or 30/06 action & sell the barrel a , Shillen no 3 stainless bbl at 25 " i will have to check twist rate, may be 1-9 a B&C or H S Pres stock , metal work in Cerakote black or dark grey. i will have to plan how to put it all together, or as i have exactly the same rifle in 270 win just get the bbl & swap them over, i have an action wrench & make a bbl vice for the bbl profile as you can only shoot 1 at a time.

Last edited:
25-06 is one of the most underrated calibers I've ever seen. Nobody pays any attention to it until they own one or knows somebody that does. I was guilty of that until I bought one almost by accident. Bud's had a sale on Ruger All Weather rifles. The 308 version was on sale for around $700 but the exact same rifle in 25-06 was $550. I'd heard of 25-06 but didn't know much about it but I'm a sucker for a good rifle at a great price whether I need it or not. I figured spending $550 on a decent quality bolt action rifle was worth it so I took a chance and bought one. I'm extremely glad I did. The combination of caliber, velocity and bullet weight is a magic formula that's absolutely lethal on deer and coyotes. The bonus is that it seems to be an inherently accurate caliber because I've never heard of a 25-06 rifle that didn't shoot well.
@Bonk
With the little 80gn or 100gn TTSX loaded to full throttle 3,600 and 3,400fps respectively you can reach way out yonder and smack critters into oblivion.
Our gun writer Nick Harvey loves the 87gn nosler balistic tip for reaching out to smack varmints like foxes to stupid long range.
I love the 117grain SST for use in deer and pig. I'm in the process of trying 115gn nosler balistic tips.
Hogdon superformance powder should work well in it. PM me if you want to know more about the powder.
Bob

WHEW! Here I was thinking I'd have to replace a nearly new .257 caliber Brux cut-rifled barrel. I wondered if the 1:9-1/2 twist would be outdated before I finished load development.
Love to see a picture of the new acquisition.

SO... is the 25-'06 making a 'comeback'. There have always been fans, of course, but is it growing in popularity?
The 25 are, this is due to the availability of better bullets for long range shooting.

WHEW! Here I was thinking I'd have to replace a nearly new .257 caliber Brux cut-rifled barrel. I wondered if the 1:9-1/2 twist would be outdated before I finished load development.
You are just more limited in bullet selection. If the bullets you like work for you, nothing to complain about.

The current 100, 110, 115, 117 and 120 grain bullets work very well. Why do I need a heavier bullet of game of the 25-'06 class??
@Nevada Mike
All those projectiles work on game out to any sensible range. In a fast 25 like the 25-06 and the Weatherby 500 yards is doable for a good marksman and further than most if us should be shooting at game.
These new bullets and fast twist barrels are well and good for long range target work and may make the 25s more popular but do we really need them for average hunting ranges.
I can see the campfire conversation.
I got me one of these new fangeled high bc fast twist 25s fer huntin. Keeps ultrasonic out to past a mile, now that some shootin. Them bullets shoot flatter than a shit carter's hat and thats flat. Man I'm telling you it can knock game over at more than 1,000 yards and is that accurate fly shooting is a breeze for target shooting. Man it shoots the balls the ball off a mosquito at 600 yards it's that accurate.
That sounds amazing mate.
Yeah but I've only shot it a 250yards.
Bob

I have said to my wife no more guns many times ! but after reading this 25 cal thread, may be 1 more. A 25/06 i am thinking a Howa 1500 long 270 or 30/06 action & sell the barrel a , Shillen no 3 stainless bbl at 25 " i will have to check twist rate, may be 1-9 a B&C or H S Pres stock , metal work in Cerakote black or dark grey. i will have to plan how to put it all together, or as i have exactly the same rifle in 270 win just get the bbl & swap them over, i have an action wrench & make a bbl vice for the bbl profile as you can only shoot 1 at a time.
@rdog
Have a look at the Weatherby S2 in 25-06. One of the few that comes with a 24 inch barrel and less than 900 bucks.
Bob

The 358WSSM was made because of deer hunting legislation in Indiana saying that they would allow pistol caliber. Which meant going up to .358 caliber as a minimum but putting it in a rifle cartridge. It's my understanding that the performance falls between the 358WIN and your beloved 35W.

In addition to this all the WSSM cartridges fit into the AR-15 platform, while the WSM's will fit into the AR-10. This made them popular (for a fleeting minute) in the US.ed
I think you need a 513 bolt face for the wssm. Also bolt thrust is very high.

The 358WSSM was made because of deer hunting legislation in Indiana saying that they would allow pistol caliber. Which meant going up to .358 caliber as a minimum but putting it in a rifle cartridge. It's my understanding that the performance falls between the 358WIN and your beloved 35W.

In addition to this all the WSSM cartridges fit into the AR-15 platform, while the WSM's will fit into the AR-10. This made them popular (for a fleeting minute) in the US.ed
@BeeMaa
Sako did a nice little bolt action 25-20. If you find one grab it.
Bob
With only 775 made and stopping in the 1950s, good luck. Might be pricy also as most 46s are anyway.

With only 775 made and stopping in the 1950s, good luck. Might be pricy also as most 46s are anyway.
I once had a Sako L46 in 25/20 improved a 25 Dean i think, use to use 60 grain Winchester hollow points to reload it, was going to chamber it in 256 Win but the magazine was not wide enough, in about 1965 from memory. Like a fool sold it & got a Marlin mod 62 in 256 Win i remember it was a lot of fun on rabbits & cats.

Last edited:
The most useless cartridge I've ever owned is the 25-06. Have owned two, still own one, and will soon try to sell it here on AH. Reasons?: It really needs at least a 24" bbl, so is not a candidate for a compact mtn rifle. It recoils too much for chuck shooting. Didn't produce any better results on pronghorn than my 243 (forgive me Bob), and was really too light for large bull elk (although I did kill one with it) Bullet selection has always been a problem. It would probably shine for cow elk, spikes, whitetails and exotics, but I don't often hunt them. I will agree that both of mine were very accurate. I can't think of anything that one of my other calibers will not do better. Killed a 30" muley with it, but should have taken my 270. I'm still a sucker for the quarter bores. I own 5 of them. But hope to be down to 4 soon....................FWB

The most useless cartridge I've ever owned is the 25-06. Have owned two, still own one, and will soon try to sell it here on AH. Reasons?: It really needs at least a 24" bbl, so is not a candidate for a compact mtn rifle. It recoils too much for chuck shooting. Didn't produce any better results on pronghorn than my 243 (forgive me Bob), and was really too light for large bull elk (although I did kill one with it) Bullet selection has always been a problem. It would probably shine for cow elk, spikes, whitetails and exotics, but I don't often hunt them. I will agree that both of mine were very accurate. I can't think of anything that one of my other calibers will not do better. Killed a 30" muley with it, but should have taken my 270. I'm still a sucker for the quarter bores. I own 5 of them. But hope to be down to 4 soon....................FWB
So if you are not a fan of the 25-06, what .25 do you like?

I've always been fond of my accuracy term "MOA = Minute of Animal". The size of that "minute" is relative to the size of their vitals!

Love to see a picture of the new acquisition.
I posted the photo near the beginning of this thread - the Ruger No. 1. A nice little gun with 25: barrel and 1:9-1/2" twist. Shoots 1/2" groups with Leupold 3.5-10X40 in Talley rings.

I posted the photo near the beginning of this thread - the Ruger No. 1. A nice little gun with 25: barrel and 1:9-1/2" twist. Shoots 1/2" groups with Leupold 3.5-10X40 in Talley rings.
Very nice. You now have me thinking of a Kipplauf rifle. Something light, handy and can be broken down into 2 pieces very easily for transport. :unsure:

Very nice. You now have me thinking of a Kipplauf rifle. Something light, handy and can be broken down into 2 pieces very easily for transport. :unsure:
@BeeMaa
I can see a nice little Blaser K95 in 25-06 or 257WBY in your future.
@K95 has one with a few different barrels and loves it. Light and very accurate. If my budget would allow it I eould have one in my fast 25 and 35Whelen. Alas I ain't in that income bracket
Bob

I especially like the 250-3000, now named the 250 Savage. I have shot many pronghorns with it, and out to 200 yards it has worked well on muleys. Works with a short bbl, and I have an 18" bolt and Savage 99 model levers. If I need a long bbl, full size gun I would probably skip the 25's, or go to the Wby. It has also had it's problems.....notably Roy using 1:14 twists in the past. That eliminated all of the big bullets except the 117 Hornady roundnose, which made a curious choice for long range power. Anyway, they have fixed that anomaly. I had a 257 Robts in a pushfeed Mod 70 FW. Of course, this cartridge is not a long one, but needs a long action. Therefore it needs a magazine block,or the cartridges may jam in the magazine. The mag block forced one to load COAL so short that the gun was hopelessly inaccurate. I even like the 25-20 as a turkey gun with a cast bullet at 1400fps. But if someone asked me which to purchase, a 25-06 or a 270 I see no reason to recommend the first ......good shooting.............FWB

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-05 at 3.27.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-05 at 3.27.38 PM.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 45
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-05 at 3.27.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-05 at 3.27.39 PM.png
    944.4 KB · Views: 49
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-05 at 3.27.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-05 at 3.27.40 PM.png
    2 MB · Views: 47
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-05 at 3.27.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-05 at 3.27.42 PM.png
    3 MB · Views: 51
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-05 at 3.27.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-05 at 3.27.44 PM.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 41
If time is not an issue and you want a gun exactly the way you want it, consider building it on a surplus mauser action. The K98 action has a ton of stock options with 95% and above inletting already done, and the magazine box dimensions are correct. I am going this route for a 7x57 a small ring Loewe receiver and my 257 Roberts in built on a pre-war FN action.

I just bought a M1907 Steyr Mannlicher Schoenauer action that I am going to build a 9x56 MS on and bought a 6.5x56 MS yesterday for the stupid price of $464. Stock needs some help, but rifling is crisp and no rust... I bring up the receiver because by the time I get it rebarrelled it'll cost no more than a new gun, but it will have the twist rate and barrel contours I want...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GarlandDem

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?