2 Gun Combo

One of them would have to be a varmint rifle!
Possibly a TC Encore (though that's a rifle not high on my list of, I like this) the other a .375 H&H Mag.
 
Your three gun battery of hunting cartridges is a great one: 6.5 CM, 338 WM, 375 Ruger. I personally thought you were well covered with the original two as long as you’re comfortable and proficient shooting both 250 and 300 gr out of the 375. A 250 gr 375’s trajectory isn’t too dissimilar from a 180 gr 30-06. Can’t think of anything a 30-06 does better than a 375. Certainly less overlap with a 6.5 CM and a 375 than any over the other alternatives posters have suggested.

I’m weaning my hunting cartridges as well. I’ve gone to 6.5 PRC and 300 PRC bolt actions for NA big game and have ordered a Blaser R8 with 223, 6.5 PRC, and 375 H&H for travel and everything else. My plains/DG combo will be 6.5 PRC/375 H&H and I’ll either take my 300 bolt action or add barrel for the R8 if I go somewhere 6.5 isn’t legal on plains game. Could also just hunt with the 375 on everything of course.

Again, I really like your two gun hunting battery in 6.5 CM and 375 Ruger. Others may prefer other cartridges or combinations for various reasons, but you’re covered from coyotes to elephant with those two. Plus, 6.5 CM is one of the most popular cartridges around so ammo is widely available and in a variety of bullet weights and constructions so it’s a great light rifle. Adding the a 338 WM for a long range hammer and you’re definitely covered. Enjoy!
 
I would pair it with the do everything caliber of 300 win mag. Great bullet selection and availability.

HH
 
Pretty sound choice.

For all my local hunting purposes, I use two calibers exclusively:
Nilgai, Serow, Sambar, Axis- 7x57mm Mauser
Muntjac, Wild Boar, Upland Birds, Waterfowl, Rabbits- 12 gauge
 
Lets dont over think this question but depends on where you hunt, in the US a 30-06. in Africa the 30-06 and a 416 Rem..If your hunting Africa in Tanzania never carry a too light rifle you likely cannot kill a rogue elephant, buffalo, Lion or hippo that shows up uninvited with a wire snare on his infected foot and you with a Creedmoor or any small caliber.

I like a 404 and a 338 where DG lives, There are a number of options , but those two come to mind as capable. the light gun should at least be a medium..I and others have had this happen..
 
Some appropriate 2-rifle combo's that come to my mind:

7x57 x 9.3x62
7x64 & 9.3x64
7x65r & 9.3x74r
.300WM & .375H&H
.300H&H & .375H&H
.338WM & .416 Rigby
 
Last edited:
Well I can't yet speak to its effectiveness personally but I have a .303 and a .450 BPE that should be an acceptable combo for North American game at least.

Could add my .44-40 repeater to the lineup for smallest critters...
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,325
Messages
1,573,088
Members
169,696
Latest member
pmetnewsfiblie1970
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top