2 Gun Combo

Why would you only want to have 2 guns? I'm sure I could get by with 10 or 12........

On second thought, no, I couldn't. ;)

Force me to go with two, and I'd probably opt for a .375 H&H and a 6.5 something. My .260 Rem AI suits me well. My problem with the .375 H&H is that it's good for almost everything but perfect for almost nothing.

6.5 Creedmoor and 375 Ruger would make a fine two-gun combo that you certainly can't go wrong with. Are you referring to the two rifles that are in the list of guns you currently own, or would you be making a new acquisition for either caliber?

Another alternative to strongly consider would be a 270 Winchester and 375 Ruger combo. The 270 Win. has pretty much all the same benefits as the 6.5 Creedmoor in terms of widespread ammo availability, bullet selection, and downrange ballistics; and then some. With the 270 Win, you could use a moderate factory load with a lighter bullet for a mild shooter like the 6.5 CM; but you could also turn it up to a significantly hotter level in terms of bullet weight and/or velocity than the 6.5 CM should the need arise. Of course, handloading would make this argument all the more valid.

As a fellow lefty I share your need for the left handed rifles. My personal choice is a Ruger left handed 300WM and a Ruger No1 in a 416WM. These two will get me all the planes game and any DG animal. The 416 I just recently acquired and still waiting for its arrival. 10 more days according to the tracking info.

A 6.5 CM and a .375 Ruger would work just fine.

My choice would be a .300 Magnum and a .375 H&H (or something a bit larger, like a .416)

Golf allows you to carry up to 14 clubs in your bag. Same applies to rifles, so don't limit yourself to just two.

I really like the 375 Ruger (duh) but it's not a fun rifle to shoot a lot. I love the 338 WM. When I look at my rifles, I like to look at typical bullet weights. Less than 100 gr, 22 LR, 223 and 243. For 100-150gr, a 6.5x55, 30-30 and 270. For 150-200 gr, 7x57, 7mm RM and 30-06. Over 200 gr, 338 WM. For 300 gr, 375 Ruger. For 400 gr, 404J. I have no need for anything bigger.

6.5 creedmoor is a great caliber. I've taken many African plains game using 120 grain Barnes TTSX bullets out of my 6.5 cm. Like yourself, I do not handload, I rely on factory loaded ammo. My last several African hunts have been with my .308 and .375H&H. Using my .308 with 165/168 grain bullets I have taken dozens of zebra, blue wildebeest, gemsbok, etc.

6.5 Creedmoor and 375 Ruger would make a fine two-gun combo that you certainly can't go wrong with. Are you referring to the two rifles that are in the list of guns you currently own, or would you be making a new acquisition for either caliber?

Another alternative to strongly consider would be a 270 Winchester and 375 Ruger combo. The 270 Win. has pretty much all the same benefits as the 6.5 Creedmoor in terms of widespread ammo availability, bullet selection, and downrange ballistics; and then some. With the 270 Win, you could use a moderate factory load with a lighter bullet for a mild shooter like the 6.5 CM; but you could also turn it up to a significantly hotter level in terms of bullet weight and/or velocity than the 6.5 CM should the need arise. Of course, handloading would make this argument all the more valid.
I currently own both.

i currently own both in a platform I like.
I also have the .338WM but it’s not stainless. I could have it Ceracoated but I hate to touch anything on it as I like the way it shoots and I don’t want to risk messing that up.

I've done the wean up and down game before.

I think a 375 and 6.5 combo is great. But also takes away a lot of the fun.

I paired down to a 338 and 308... Then added more again.

I guess I’m old lol But to go half way across the world to go on a classic safari and use a 6.5cm…
Whatever, to each their own, but the cm is a joke sold by the black rifle community!!!

My opinion is that 308 with a bonded bullet is probably one of the most versatile and capable calibers for the widest variety of animals. I'd pair that with whatever dangerous game rifle you settle on.

I guess I’m old lol But to go half way across the world to go on a classic safari and use a 6.5cm…
Whatever, to each their own, but the cm is a joke sold by the black rifle community!!!

6.5 Creedmoor was favored and pushed a lot more by long range bench shooters than it was by the "black rifle community" as you call them. It was specifically designed for long range target shooting and improved accuracy on targets with less recoil.

It is now offered in some AR platforms, but you are generally trading a bit of the accuracy it was designed for by using it on that platform.

6.5 Creedmoor was favored and pushed a lot more by long range bench shooters than it was by the "black rifle community" as you call them. It was specifically designed for long range target shooting and improved accuracy on targets with less recoil.

It is now offered in some AR platforms, but you are generally trading a bit of the accuracy it was designed for by using it on that platform.
No it wasn’t! It was specifically designed for the AR-10 platform!

No it wasn’t! It was specifically designed for the AR-10 platform!

100% false unless you're trolling. I'm new here, so I'm not sure how often that happens here.

Hornady has specifically stated it's for precision long range. Even the name "creedmoor" is a precision shooting brand after which it is named.

I love 6.5 Creedmoor haters. They always cite the "man bun cult of Creedmoor" but I have yet to meet a fanatic lover, only fanatic haters.

From Wikipedia:
The 6.5mm Creedmoor was designed specifically for Long-Range Shooting

This next quote is literally from the chief Hornady ballistics expert that created the round:

What was the caliber specifically designed for?

"We originally envisioned it as a target/match cartridge that would have good longer range performance. We quickly realized it would also make a superb medium weight hunting cartridge."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArmandoQue

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!