1st Time Hunt In South Africa

jamespatterson5

Reaction score
I'm hoping for some help, I purchased a hunting package and have everything scheduled to head to South Africa in April. I've searched for a while and still have all sorts of questions:

Packing: I was told pack normal items you would need for hunting, however I've also read dont overpack. Does anyone have a checklist of suggested items?

Tipping: Should I bring American Dollars or Rands? How much should I bring to tip, what is appropriate tipping amounts? Who should all be tipped?

Final Payments: I'm going with a set of 5 animals on my list, it may increase while I'm there, what is common practice for payment on this?

I'm sure I'm missing things but look forward to help, I'm excited about the opportunity and if it all goes as planned I'd like to take some of my family in the future.

Get ready for information overload.

For clothing figure on just 2 or 3 days. Laundry is done every day so with just a couple days worth you are good.

Tipping is all over the place. There is a good thread on it but it wanders. I take enough South African rand to tip the help, I'll just order it from my bank. If you do this get it in 200 rand notes. For the PH I'll tip in newer US $100 bills. Check with your outfitter, they may take CC's at the end of the hunt for the help.

Extra animals can go a couple different ways. Either settle up at the end of the hunt or do a wire transfer when you get home.

Wear your hunting boots on the plane and have a set of hunting clothes in your carryon, along with your binoculars and camera, medications along with what you need for a few days if your luggage gets lost.

If you have another flight out of Joberg and are taking your rifle use Henry at Riflepermits.com for a pre approved SAPS''she 520 form. If you are being picked up by your outfitter in Joberg see if they are going to take you through SAP's.

Travel arrangements should be done through a travel agent unless you are a experienced international traveler. There are airlines to be avoided if you are taking a rifle. I'll recommend Jennifer at Travel Express

Others are going to chime in here so sit back and enjoy

Hopefully your outfitter will give you a suggestion packing list and tipping guide. All of mine have in the past but now I pretty much know wha5 works for me.

Payment for extra animals is usually done in cash, I try to take in the neighborhood of 5K for extras but in many RSA lodges you can pay with a credit card but there is usually a 3 to 5% surcharge on it, that’s why I take cash.

I also tip in US$.

Packing- Wear one set of clothes. Bring a change of clothes in your carry on. Pack one more change in your checked luggage. They will do laundry every day…

Tipping- Ask your outfitter for sure….but South Africans like USD….

Final Payment- Ask your outfitter. It’s usually the same as the method that was used to make to make the deposit…. But always easier to ask than to be sorry…..

Dollars work for tips. Take some 100s for PH, trackers and cook. Be sure and bring plenty of 20s and 10s as well. For me, at least 3 or 4 hundred bucks in 20s, 10s and 5s. Your PH will put together a tip sheet for you if you ask. Massage it as you see fit, but it’s a good starting point.

If you use the search function and select titles only and search for list you’ll find some good threads on what to pack. Africa is generally easy because they do your laundry for you every day. Bring at least 3 sets of clothes you can hunt in including what you where on plane. Gun and ammo and you can hunt for 10 days fine. The rest is up to you. I usually pack my bag close to weight limit though because I’d rather have something and not use it than not have it. For April I’d ask your outfitter about normal weather and if a rain jacket is necessary. I’d also make sure you buy an outlet adapter to charge your phone. Converter isn’t needed for most items. Here was a recent discussion that seems to cover most what you’ll need. There are many more.

Tipping is generally US dollars. On a South African ranch PG hunt you’ll generally have a PH ($50-$100 per day), tracker (10-20 per day), cook (10-20 per day), skinner (10 per day), maids (5 per day). More or less depending what you feel was earned. Tipping is subjective. Also I’m not sure the total value of your package, but if it’s a basic entry level package I’d cap tips at 15% of cost. If it’s a more expensive package I’d look at tips as more of a daily figure than a percentage.

Final payment is per outfitter. Some you pay before leaving camp some you pay on return home.

Do you understand the process and people involved to get your trophies home? There will be payments to taxidermy in South Africa for taxidermy or dip and pack. Payment to South African shipping agent to US port of entry. Payment to US customs broker for final shipping. Warthogs and baboon will cause issues with your shipment that should be planned in advance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CameronPro

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim