Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Australia/NZ
Hey Guys,
Have some questions about a new purchase I made and figured this would be the place to get them answered. I recently picked up a 1939 Mauser 98. Code 243 Borsigwalde. All serial numbers on metal are matching and rifle is in excellent condition for its age. (except but plate has some rust) Not sure if the stock is original as I cannot see any serial numbers on it and haven't taken it apart. Don't think it is a Russian capture as I cannot see any markings indicating but could be wrong. Has 3 eagles stamped on the action as well as the barrel. Would like any info you can provide as there is so much online regarding 98's and hard to sort out what this gun has and doesn't have. Also any idea on if it is a collector piece and estimated value or just become a plinker toy.
Thanks in advance

IMG_1489.JPG
IMG_1488.JPG
IMG_1490.JPG
IMG_1491.JPG
IMG_1492.JPG
IMG_1493.JPG
IMG_1494.JPG
IMG_1495.JPG
IMG_1496.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice find sir! Is the firing pin intact!?

nice find.

I don't know nearly enough about mausers to be able to help you out much.. but.. I recently googled the serial number on my BRNO VZ24 "mauser" and was surprised how much I found out though (for example.. I learned that all of the serial numbers on the VZ24's that start with a "P" were exported to Japan and China just prior to WWII kicking off)..

Googling "three eagle mauser 98" I got several hits.. one of the first ones was a thread on another board asking about a 3 eagle stamped 98 made in 1939 (similar to yours).. that said that approximately 150,000 were made that year..

I also found an old listing for a Russian capture "3 eagle" borsigwalde manufactured in 1938 that had all matching parts and a bright bore, that sold for $475 in February of 2015..

I'm betting if you did a little digging, there is probably a lot of information out there that would help you determine value....

I have not fired it yet but firing pin looks to be in working condition. I will try googling the serial number as up to now I have just looked for model.
Thanks.

Interesting idea to google serial number. I have a vz24 that I built a custom on.

Try @Velo Dog he might know more about this Mauser.

If you want you can email Mauser directly but in my experience that can be a hit or miss option.

I'm no expert but I can tell you I love and collect WWII guns. German built Mausers have quadrupled in price over the last few years. Where one could get them for 300-400$$$ a few years ago a standard issue in service grade condition is bringing 1300+. SS stamps fetch considerably more. The guns in original non sporterized condition are by far most desirable and fetch much more than bring homes that were modified.
It's hard to tell from the pics but that stock does not appear to be the original as it does not match the wear on the metal. If I were guessing someone took the rifle which more than likely had a very poor abused stock and stuck it in a "correct" surplus stock. Meaning a Mauser stock for a 1939 98 Mauser that was a surplus unused stock from the period.
Very good find and I'm jealous. I have two Mausers one is a German that was retooled by the Yugoslavs post war and one that is a post war Yugoslav 47 built on German tooling captured during the war.
You have a good rifle and it will only gain in value, if left alone and not sporterized it will be worth quite a bit more in years to come. A guess on that particular rifle would be valued around $500 just because of the stock if I'm correct in my assumption.

I believe the stock is from a K98 1944 Mauser because of the 44 stamp on the butt stock in the last picture.

Thanks for the reply. I was not sure of the stock as it does have 44 on the butt and by the sling and all metal is 333. It does have the same eagles stamped just behind where the sling is so that's what had me thinking it may be original.
Thanks for the info. Going to get it cleaned up and see how it shoots.

Thanks for the reply. I was not sure of the stock as it does have 44 on the butt and by the sling and all metal is 333. It does have the same eagles stamped just behind where the sling is so that's what had me thinking it may be original.
Thanks for the info. Going to get it cleaned up and see how it shoots.
The eagle on the stock is what indicates to me that it's a really period Mauser stock. You can buy those surplus that were made during the war. Germany as well as everyone else made replacement stocks by the gillians to repair/replace those damaged in combat. By the looks of that stock in the picture I'd bet it's an "old new" stock which never saw combat. The rifle however certainly did, metal butts pad looks to be also stamped 44 so that indicates the butt pad goes with that stock but not the rifle.

Beautiful rifles. Congrats and thanks for the info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CelsaEdmen

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's