1910 Mexican Mauser ?

Roosterlund

AH member
Reaction score
Hi guys, just picked up this custom Mauser from my local shop. She is a beauty!!! Whoever was the gunsmith they did an excellent job. Stock is outstanding bedded perfectly. Has Winchester style safety but only two positions. So I’m gonna order a three position from Gentry custom.

So I was told it was a Spanish Mauser. Scope and mounts still on in shop. Where I got home realized it was a Mexican Mauser. From the research I did I believe it to be a 1910 SR ? It’s in 7x57. 20” barrel. Hope she shoots. No name on barrel but can see it was outstanding older build. Could use some help from some Mauser guys. Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_2466.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 133
  • IMG_2465.jpeg
    5.5 MB · Views: 96
  • IMG_2464.jpeg
    5.8 MB · Views: 85
  • IMG_2463.jpeg
    5.7 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_2549.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_2464.jpeg
    5.8 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_2463.jpeg
    5.7 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_2549.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2556.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_2555.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2554.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2553.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2552.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 61
Don't quote me on this because I could be wrong...

I think you're correct in that is a 1910. The 1936 I believe had a knurled cocking piece similar to a Springfield 1903. Neat looking action, that. Its a 98 small ring, but I believe the Mexican small rings were small ring small shank, meaning there was more steel in the receiver between the exterior and the threaded portion of the barrel than you would find in your typical German military SR variety which was small ring large shank. If you remove the front scope base, you should see the crest and a proof date. They're best actions and I used to have a sporterized one with the original military stepped 7x57 barrel.

Hi guys, just picked up this custom Mauser from my local shop. She is a beauty!!! Whoever was the gunsmith they did an excellent job. Stock is outstanding bedded perfectly. Has Winchester style safety but only two positions. So I’m gonna order a three position from Gentry custom.

So I was told it was a Spanish Mauser. Scope and mounts still on in shop. Where I got home realized it was a Mexican Mauser. From the research I did I believe it to be a 1910 SR ? It’s in 7x57. 20” barrel. Hope she shoots. No name on barrel but can see it was outstanding older build. Could use some help from some Mauser guys. Thank you
You can find several outlets for Mauser 3-position Model 70 style safeties and shrouds. Gentry is rather proud of his Lapour safeties (but they are top shelf). I picked up a 98 Mauser Dakota (Parkwest) safety/shroud for $200 in the white. Blued are a bit more. And they even sell them charcoal case hardened. They are a good safety but if you decide to buy one, send me a PM. There is one minor thing that you'll need to be aware of when setting it up. Also, before ordering make sure shroud and striker are interchangeable between Mexican and large ring Mauser. I'm not sure about that.

Wonderful little jewel you have there, congratulations!

You can find several outlets for Mauser 3-position Model 70 style safeties and shrouds. Gentry is rather proud of his Lapour safeties (but they are top shelf). I picked up a 98 Mauser Dakota (Parkwest) safety/shroud for $200 in the white. Blued are a bit more. And they even sell them charcoal case hardened. They are a good safety but if you decide to buy one, send me a PM. There is one minor thing that you'll need to be aware of when setting it up. Also, before ordering make sure shroud and striker are interchangeable between Mexican and large ring Mauser. I'm not sure about that.
From what I could find out about the 1910. The bolt and safety shroud are interchangeable for the 98 Mauser. I put a 98 Timney trigger in it and it works had to file little bit of material from receiver as Timney has redesigned trigger. But I plan on having a gunsmith in stall safety. Liked the Gentry because it seemed to be more milled down or streamlined.

Here is pic of original safety and new gentry

IMG_2569.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2567.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2568.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2570.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 22
Last edited by a moderator:
@Roosterlund that is a very nice looking rifle! The scope rings look very tall. Is that required for the old safety or for bolt clearance?

One other comment, when you attached a bunch of photos, click on the full size button! Makes it much more viewer friendly. Thumbnails are a pain!

I b
@Roosterlund that is a very nice looking rifle! The scope rings look very tall. Is that required for the old safety or for bolt clearance?

One other comment, when you attached a bunch of photos, click on the full size button! Makes it much more viewer friendly. Thumbnails are a pain!
I believe so. Scope rings came with gun. Thank you for letting me know about full size button. I’m new to forums and such. Don’t even do social media!! Any help is appreciated!!!!!!!

I b

I believe so. Scope rings came with gun. Thank you for letting me know about full size button. I’m new to forums and such. Don’t even do social media!! Any help is appreciated!!!!!!!
Both the bolt and Chapman/Wisner two-position safety are designed for lower scope rings. Looks like someone mounted some pretty rings and bases with little regard for practical. Or maybe the rifle had Hubble Telescope mounted on it? Very large objective lens can require higher rings to clear the barrel. I would certainly think about dropping the scope lower. You will be able to shoot it better.

You told me in a PM this has a Timney trigger installed. So the cocking piece on the end of the striker has already been modified to fit it. I suggest you try to reassemble the new safety per the video you were watching. Unless the cocking piece was signigicantly altered when the 2-position safety was installed, everything should go together okay. I did have to modify my cocking piece to make everything fit with new safety but only because the numbskull who welded on the bolt handle warped that end of the bolt. If your cocking piece was altered for previous safety you will know it when you try to put it together. No worries about breaking anything. If you can get the striker to lock cocked in position two then you are in good shape to reassemble. To assemble the cocking piece onto striker I recommend drilling a small hole the size of firing pin into top of work bench to hold the firing pin while compressing the firing pin spring to lock cocking piece onto end of striker. Push the shroud down onto spring until you can lock the safety in position two. Then you're ready to spin cocking piece/striker/bolt shroud assembly onto bolt. Follow instructions on video. When reinstalling bolt into action, use the bolt handle so you don't accidentally trip the safety off position two. Otherwise you'll have to recock pushing the striker sear against the edge of table or workbench and resetting safety at position two.

Both the bolt and Chapman/Wisner two-position safety are designed for lower scope rings. Looks like someone mounted some pretty rings and bases with little regard for practical. Or maybe the rifle had Hubble Telescope mounted on it? Very large objective lens can require higher rings to clear the barrel. I would certainly think about dropping the scope lower. You will be able to shoot it better.

You told me in a PM this has a Timney trigger installed. So the cocking piece on the end of the striker has already been modified to fit it. I suggest you try to reassemble the new safety per the video you were watching. Unless the cocking piece was signigicantly altered when the 2-position safety was installed, everything should go together okay. I did have to modify my cocking piece to make everything fit with new safety but only because the numbskull who welded on the bolt handle warped that end of the bolt. If your cocking piece was altered for previous safety you will know it when you try to put it together. No worries about breaking anything. If you can get the striker to lock cocked in position two then you are in good shape to reassemble. To assemble the cocking piece onto striker I recommend drilling a small hole the size of firing pin into top of work bench to hold the firing pin while compressing the firing pin spring to lock cocking piece onto end of striker. Push the shroud down onto spring until you can lock the safety in position two. Then you're ready to spin cocking piece/striker/bolt shroud assembly onto bolt. Follow instructions on video. When reinstalling bolt into action, use the bolt handle so you don't accidentally trip the safety off position two. Otherwise you'll have to recock pushing the striker sear against the edge of table or workbench and resetting safety at position two.
Wow, should I have any Mauser issues I know who to ask. Great job!

I'm glad you found this rifle before I did. For a fact, it would have followed me home. LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MosheFalco

Latest profile posts

JG26Irish_2 wrote on WISafariHunter's profile.
About Lon's Elephant hunts w/Tokoloshe? I hear Lon is battling cancer? What is his long term prognosis? I am already booked to hunt Africa in 2024 2025. Might consider 2026 for another African hunt. I want to hunt a more wild open region devoid of civilization. Concern is the risk that I book f/2026 then find poor Lon has passed on? Does Lon have any assistance to carry on the business in his absence?
Life is Short live it how you want...
jgraco33 wrote on 85lc's profile.
Is your 22HP still available? If so have the original case?
tacklers wrote on ianevans's profile.
Hi Ian, I'm contemplating my first outing, leaving UK via Dubai to Africa, taking rifles as you did.

I presume it went okay for you, would you have done anything differently? Cheers, Richard East Sussex
A.A. wrote on Msprenger!'s profile.
Are you still looking for a 375 H&H?