13th trip to africa next month...

Junglechicklet

Reaction score
Media
I consider myself very fortunate to have hunted with some of the greatest PH's in some of the best places on the planet with my dad as my adventure partner. Other than Australia, NZ, & North America, the rest of my big game pursuits have all been in Africa. In the dozen safaris over the years, I have taken some fantastic game, including The Big 5, Dangerous 7, 26 of the African 29; I darted a rhino that made SCI Record Book as #1, my lion came in at #3, I stopped a charge from a tuskless elephant at 5 YARDS, & took home as a souvenir a near-fatal case of malaria!
Next month marks the 4 year anniversary of my dad's passing. I can't think of a better way to honor his memory than to go back to the land we love, this time for my husband to take a nice trophy dugga' boy. But I have a few questions that hopefully y'all can help me with:

1. I love my Brown Precision Rem. Mag. .416 - safari before last I took 12 animals in 13 shots - all offhand - so that one's in for sure. Should the 2nd rifle be a 375 H & H or an almost identical 416?
2. Recommendations for ammo? 100 or 400 gr.? Does Zim have a ban on any kind of ammo I should know about?
3. I have not flown through the Middle East prior to this trip. We fly business class on Qatar from SFO to Harare with a 14-hour layover in Doha.If not mistaken, luggage gets checked through to Harare, but does anyone know if we must collect the bags as our 1st landing/transfer to clear customs then go through the check-in process again? Is that before leaving the airport for the 14 hours?
4. I've already alerted the airlines to let them know we will have firearms & she didn't mention any other paperwork other than our proof of ownership from the usa. Is there something we need from the Qatar govt.?
5. Has anyone been there & know of anything to do for that length of time? In Frankfurt & Paris, we've gotten day rooms attached to the international terminal as opposed to hanging out in the airport for all that time...

Thanks for your time!

588B4063-8543-479E-A5C8-AB38340B5A7F.jpeg
281FC015-794E-4915-B89B-C401BCDB175E_1_201_a.jpeg
771E0490-F9F9-489F-86CD-59CFEC543FA7_1_201_a.jpeg
C170B753-8A7B-462B-82C7-A42F85C1A532_1_201_a.jpeg
6E0FC2F8-4FFF-4520-BAA5-F97E41F30DDA_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow that’s quite an introduction !
Congratulations on all the fine hunting (that cat and buffalo ) you have done over the years! And very nice of you to continue the family tradition of creating memories in Africa :)

Cheers,

V.

Use one of the travel agents mentioned here, that sponsor this page.
They will book you a hotel room at the Doha airport. So you do not have to leave the airport

Welcome to the forum. You won’t need to touch your rifles in Doha. They’ll be checked through to Harare. Enjoy your safari.

Rifles need to be coded into Qatar's reservation system in advance. My travel agent did this in 2021 and I even had her send me a screenshot to verify.

Since I flew the first leg on AA (ABQ to DFW), I had to claim and re-check my rifle with an actual Qatar agent in DFW. My travel agent gave me the heads up on this as well.

IIRC, Qatar has a toll free number for special issues/problems.
It might be worth giving them a call if not using a travel agent. No guarantee they will be knowledgeable about flying with rifles, however.

I flew Qatar with the help of @TRAVEL EXPRESS. The Qatar employees were very impressed with the organization of paper work. All thanks to my travel agent

There are Qatar declarations and necessary paperwork that is needed

I would reach out to a travel agent and have them notify Qatar of firearm - This is a must.

Welcome to AH. Sounds like the adventure gene runs deep in your family. I have always used Gracy travel to book our hunts and they have taken care of the necessary gun paperwork and alerting the airlines for us. Used them twice in 2021 for flights with Qatar and was no problems encountered.

Have a great safari look forward to reading your trip/hunt report.

From reading your introduction I think perhaps you should be giving the advice to most on this sight. Thats a major list of accomplishments.

I hope you have a wonderful trip with your husband to honor the place you cherished with your dad. Cheers and happy hunting!

From reading your introduction I think perhaps you should be giving the advice to most on this sight. Thats a major list of accomplishments.
I was going to say the same thing. You have a lot of experience and we are glad you have joined us. Sounds like you shoot your 416 very well. As you know, that cartridge will do anything you really need. You could add a 375 and I've done that but it's just a judgment call. In many cases, you cannot bring 2 guns of the same caliber into Africa so I wouldn't duplicate the 416.

I have taken that Qatar flight from LAX through Doha to Harare. You have to fill out some paperwork for Qatar prior to the flight. You also have some paperwork for Zim customs (in triplicate). Make sure you have your letter of invitation as both Zim customs and Qatar will ask to see it.

Luggage, including firearms will be checked in direct to Harare so you do not have to worry about it at Doha.

Book a room at the airport hotel at Doha so you do not need to leave the airport. Business lounge and food are exceptional at Doha as well.

In many cases, you cannot bring 2 guns of the same caliber into Africa so I wouldn't duplicate the 416.
That does not apply to Zim, I think it is only true for RSA.

Great point. The duplication thing does not apply to all countries. Your PH will know the rules.

I consider myself very fortunate to have hunted with some of the greatest PH's in some of the best places on the planet with my dad as my adventure partner. Other than Australia, NZ, & North America, the rest of my big game pursuits have all been in Africa. In the dozen safaris over the years, I have taken some fantastic game, including The Big 5, Dangerous 7, 26 of the African 29; I darted a rhino that made SCI Record Book as #1, my lion came in at #3, I stopped a charge from a tuskless elephant at 5 YARDS, & took home as a souvenir a near-fatal case of malaria!
Next month marks the 4 year anniversary of my dad's passing. I can't think of a better way to honor his memory than to go back to the land we love, this time for my husband to take a nice trophy dugga' boy. But I have a few questions that hopefully y'all can help me with:

1. I love my Brown Precision Rem. Mag. .416 - safari before last I took 12 animals in 13 shots - all offhand - so that one's in for sure. Should the 2nd rifle be a 375 H & H or an almost identical 416?
2. Recommendations for ammo? 100 or 400 gr.? Does Zim have a ban on any kind of ammo I should know about?
3. I have not flown through the Middle East prior to this trip. We fly business class on Qatar from SFO to Harare with a 14-hour layover in Doha.If not mistaken, luggage gets checked through to Harare, but does anyone know if we must collect the bags as our 1st landing/transfer to clear customs then go through the check-in process again? Is that before leaving the airport for the 14 hours?
4. I've already alerted the airlines to let them know we will have firearms & she didn't mention any other paperwork other than our proof of ownership from the usa. Is there something we need from the Qatar govt.?
5. Has anyone been there & know of anything to do for that length of time? In Frankfurt & Paris, we've gotten day rooms attached to the international terminal as opposed to hanging out in the airport for all that time...

Thanks for your time!

View attachment 621012View attachment 621013View attachment 621014View attachment 621015View attachment 621016
Wow!!! Congratulations on your accomplishments!!! I echo my good friend @VertigoBE comment of quite an introduction!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SusannahMo

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's