100 year old plus guns

Are those Jaegers?
Or 1/2 stock ______?

Edit: answered my questions before I finished reading response threads.

1840ish fur trade?? Flintlocks??? By the 1820's(?) cap locks were more predominantly used unlike during the early to late 1700's/turn of the century; for various obvious reasons. The last of the westward expansion had started.

Curious as that would be nearing the end of the fur trade and more curious as to 1/2 stocks being trade guns, since most trade guns were full length stocks,....and of questionable barrel straightness.

"Smell that! That's the smell of black powder. I love the smell of black powder in the morning. "

Last edited:
Rigby .375 that started out as a 350/400 in 1905. Rigby did not do the re-bore. Lon Paul did the restoration work.

20231209_081739.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been a Webley fan since I first saw Indiana Jones as a kid. Then Lawrence of Arabia and others.

Here (bottom pistol) is a Webley W.G. version (Webley-government) with the seller's store address in London on the ridge of the barrel. It has the officers initials put onto the back of the handle.

This is the highly finished commercial version available for private purchase to British officers during the Boer war period.

1000005165.jpg

1000005156.jpg

1000005171.jpg

1000005172.jpg

1000005173.jpg

1000005166.jpg

The upper pistol is a much younger Mark 6. I believe these began being issued in 1915 but mine is likely much younger.

Both in unmolested .455 Webley.

My favorite feature of these pistols is the methodology they used to place small stamps and markings all over the guns. It tells a story.

Oh, if the WG could talk. The stories it might tell.

Are those Jaegers?
Or 1/2 stock ______?

Edit: answered my questions before I finished reading response threads.

1840ish fur trade?? Flintlocks??? By the 1820's(?) cap locks were more predominantly used unlike during the early to late 1700's/turn of the century; for various obvious reasons. The last of the westward expansion had started.

Curious as that would be nearing the end of the fur trade and more curious as to 1/2 stocks being trade guns, since most trade guns were full length stocks,....and of questionable barrel straightness.

"Smell that! That's the smell of black powder. I love the smell of black powder in the morning. "
Flintlocks were well used during the civil war and many years after.

As far as the fur trade is concerned, during the rendezvous period of 1825-1840, the first listing of percussion caps in the inventories of goods brought to rendezvous was in the Invoice of Sundry Merchandise from the Rocky Mountain Outfit 1836 under charge of Fontenelle, Fitzpatrick, & Co. They brought 10 Hawkin Rifles and 10 boxes of percussion caps. Compare that to over 100 Northwest Guns, dozens of "gun locks" (certainly replacement locks for the most common gun in use during this time period, the Northwest Gun). They also brought two thousand gun flints (for smoothbore flintlocks) and five hundred rifle flints (for rifled flintlocks).

I think it can safely be said that a Hawkin came out with one of the members of the Rendezvous caravan in 1835. That was likely the first percussion gun in the Rocky Mountains. Ten of the mountain men (certainly free trappers, not company men) were impressed enough to order one for the following year's Rendezvous in 1836.

The next year, 1837, in the Invoice of Sundry Merchandise from the Rocky Mountain Outfit 1837 under charge of Fontenelle, Fitzpatrick, & Co. is listed two thousand gun flints and three thousand rifle flints. Thirty six Northwest Guns of "the finest quality" at $4.50 each (this went too Indians who were upset about the quality of Northwest Guns they had received the previous year), five American Rifles at $19 each (a competitor of Hawkin), ten Hawkins at $24 each (over five times the cost of "the finest quality" Northwest gun), and twelve additional Northwest Guns (for the mountain men or trade with the Indians we do not know).

The last Rendezvous was in 1840. Most mountain men left the fur trade business before 1841. A few stayed on till 1845 but by that time Silk from China had replaced Beaver in the finest hats in Europe and America. Beaver no longer "shined". This last group of mountain men switched to guiding wagon trains West, this was the beginning of the final westward expansion- settlers.

Early J. Stevens Arms and Tool Co model 520 shotgun. I believe this was the second firearm I ever had, back when I was 14 or so. Sold it to my buddy to backpack through Europe in the mid 1980s. I was talking to him about it a couple years ago and to my surprise he said he still had it! Bought it back for more then I paid.
The barrel was cut down before I got it. Love that machining for the takedown.
Browning was a genius.
IMG_1119.jpeg

IMG_1120.jpeg

IMG_1118.jpeg

Love that Stevens!
I have an old Stevens 12 gauge pump that I don't really know much about but I don't think it's over 100 years old.
It was my first shotgun given to me from a widow whose lawn I mowed as a kid.
My dad helped her sort out and sell off her deceased husband's guns and she gave this one to me knowing I liked to pheasant hunt.

The humpback is so much character. The suicide safety inside the triggerguard is from another era.
I have a few pins that need to be replaced, but it is a cool piece of firearm history.

J.P.Sauer & Son, commercial Mauser. Circa 1912. Built on a genuine J.P.Sauer & Son commercial Mauser action, not an ex military conversion. This rifle is chambered in 10.75x68 Mauser with British proof marks. This action is exceptionally smooth. The action has not been tapped or modified in any way. The whole rifle is in excellent condition, as is the bolt face. This rifle does not appear to have been fired. Though I have fired 16 rounds through it since owning it. Exceptionally accurate, even with open sights.
Currently for sale.
IMG_7622.jpeg
IMG_7621.jpeg
IMG_1073.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nechi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia
TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!