10.75x68 Mauser Rifle

In the hands of thousands and thousands of hunters this cartridges worked flawless for its intended purposes..... but not in the hands of Taylor.....

HWL

Certainly for the intended purpose, meant heavy game hunting, and that with the original bullet, but the majority of those who used such rifles caliber 10,75x68 at that time have certainly shot everything possible with them, but rarely or maybe newer big game. In many articles the cartridge is described as a good meat getter, what certainly does not mean big game hunting.

But these are all different topics and should not influence someone who want to buy a rifle of this caliber. One often buy a rifle because one enjoy it and not because one absolutely need it. Nobody needs nowadays a rifle caliber 10,75x68. There are plenty of other cartridges that are much more efficient and safer when it comes to the success of a big game hunting.

There is loads for 400 grain .404 bullets also for 10,75 around

I love my old Mauser Type A Sporter in 10.75. Built in 1936, stamped Manton & Co Calcutta. Definitely dreamed that Jim Corbett used it to kill tigers and leopards in India :)

Perfect bore, but came to me with a serious crack in the magazine area to the wrist. Had a stock maker repair it beautifully, but not before I whacked a nice warthog with it in Namibia. :)

1719013658762.jpeg

It puts original Kynoch ammo one on top of another.

1719013738198.jpeg

I haven’t reloaded for it yet, but with modern powders and .423 bullets, the 10.75x68 Mauser will run at original .404 Jeffery specs. It’s no slouch.

Ed Z

I’m thinking with 325 grain raptors and 350 grain safari solids, Cutting Edge will prove that the 10.75 x 68’s only flaw is its original bad bullet and negative press from an influential individual. The animal never really cares what piece of brass the bullet that killed it was fired from! These bullets will shoot clean through a bull elephants head front to rear at 2150 FPS. But everyone knows that these bullets in that weight range can be fired a good deal faster from that case.

I’m thinking with 325 grain raptors and 350 grain safari solids, Cutting Edge will prove that the 10.75 x 68’s only flaw is its original bad bullet and negative press from an influential individual. The animal never really cares what piece of brass the bullet that killed it was fired from! These bullets will shoot clean through a bull elephants head front to rear at 2150 FPS. But everyone knows that these bullets in that weight range can be fired a good deal faster from that case.
I have recently started doing some load work with this cartridge. In my rifle with 25" barrel so far I have been able to achieve 2400 FPS with the 325 grain CEB Raptors.

I loaded 325gr. Safari solids for a buddies 450 NE at 2150 for an Elephant hunt. ( I can’t wait for the sectional density people’s heads to explode on this one!) He shot his Elephant 3 times, one being the insurance, and only recovered one bullet. It was under the skin on the off side. He purposely didn’t tell the PH how light the bullet was so he wouldn’t freak out. The bull was old and in the 60lb. Range. It didn’t go 50 yards.

Zinz, that rifle is gorgeous.
Thanks… the stock is quite dark at this point, but in direct sun the grain is very nice. Type A Oberndorf Sporters are out there and they made them in all sorts of calibers. I’m a huge fan of pre-war Mauser sporters. High quality guns, even if they aren’t an Oberndorf.

10.75x68mm is a nice all-around medium bore. Uses same diameter .423 bullet as the .404 Jeffery, giving a reloader lots of choices for projectiles.

1719160433032.jpeg

1719160985571.jpeg

During the stock repair, I had the stock maker install cross bolts that he hid under some matching walnut biscuits. You can barely see them. He asked if I wanted him to completely refinish the stock and recut the checkering… “ABSOLUTELY NOT “. I wanted all the patina left as it came to me.

On safari… one of the PHs fell in love with the rifle. He brought out his Westley Richards hammer, howdah pistol. That was so flipping cool

1719161164297.jpeg

Ed Z

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BW32

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Sue Tidwell's profile.
Just finished your book (audio) and ordered a hardback for my Library. You did a wonderful job explaining the way conservation works in Africa, and my wife is interested in reading your book now. Thank you for your work.
Bluecyclone wrote on LES7's profile.
Hello there,
Could you tell me if your model 70 has two recoil lugs? I have heard some of the super express rifles had one, while the safari express has two.
Thank you.
Brant.
Saddlemaker wrote on Drexel64742's profile.
Hi Drexel, Would like to purchase your brass , Would a business check be fine?
overunderranger wrote on Stamp Collector's profile.
I'm interested in the 28 gauge Ruger, if you still have it.
Tanner wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I’m blown away the rifle hasn’t sold. I will take it!