Recent content by WAB

  1. WAB

    SWAG and gut feeling when taking the shot?

    I know what you mean. If I settle in and know I can make the shot, I make it. Len Taylor and I were on a rise with a nice dugga boy below us, feeding directly toward us at 80 or so yards. I was on the sticks and told Len I had him. He said if I was sure, OK. I put the bullet through his...
  2. WAB

    Planning for retirement soon and probably will make one more trip to celebrate.

    Agreed, one of the best hunts in Africa. Right up there with ele and buff. I would be torn between a true tracking hunt and a visit to Takeri, particularly if that could be arranged in a month with an ‘r’ in it.
  3. WAB

    Eland - Who Loves Hunting Them?

    Kalahari desert Botswana, bushmen trackers, caught up to him on the third day of tracking. One of the best hunts I have been privileged to experience.
  4. WAB

    Talk to me about German Shorthaired Pointers

    I field trialed labs for years. Never thought I’d have another breed, and then this lady joined the farm crew. It’s GSP’s from here on out.
  5. WAB

    Lets See Your Favorite Trophy Picture

    Botswana NG43, one month before the closure.
  6. WAB

    Safari Hats

    That’s the Tilley Wanderer. Mine has covered a lot of miles in the bush. I’ve taken to wearing Stetson grass hats on the farm. They are breathable and waterproof. The Bryce is particularly good for hot weather work and would be great on safari if it wasn’t such a pain getting it there.
  7. WAB

    What do you think of the new Rigby Shikari?

    I don’t think any London maker can complete a gun without outwork. There’s nothing wrong with this. It is how the trade works.
  8. WAB

    Retirement and next chapter

    I retired the first time at 49. I’ve retired twice more since. I take care of the farm, shoot a lot, and travel extensively with my bride of 43 years. Life is good.
  9. WAB

    What do you think of the new Rigby Shikari?

    Even Best Grade Purdeys and H&H’s have significant work outsourced. A very good friend does engraving for both of these firms (and Rigby) from his home. This is simply how the British trade works.
  10. WAB

    Bourbon in SA / Namibia

    Agreed! If I’m going to drink whiskey, I drink whiskey. I don’t bastardize it with coke or any other mixer. If it’s not good enough to drink neat or on the rocks, perhaps with a little water to open it up, I don’t drink it. And I agree, it is best to bring your own. However there are...
  11. WAB

    Don Heath's 'All Round Rifle'

    I’m not sure you know who Don Heath was. He needed to tote 20 to 30 rounds of ammo. He wasn’t a sport hunter out for a single buff.
  12. WAB

    Politics

    That is the point I was trying to make, although not well. The refining disruptions have been outside NA which hits the distillate market much harder than the mogas market. Diesel is a global commodity, hence the run up in price. The government will only make it worse if they try to shelter...
  13. WAB

    Politics

    NA refineries are configured to produce roughly 70% gasoline, 30% diesel. The rest of the world is exactly the opposite. International refining disruptions hit the distillates market harder than the mogas market.
  14. WAB

    Politics

    It’s possible if they didn’t hit any critical long delivery equipment. I once got a crude unit back on line in four weeks when a fire took out all cableways (electrical and electronics). So bottom line, piping and wiring could be repaired. If they took out critical reactors, compressors, a...
  15. WAB

    ISA: Alaska DIY Moose 2026; A Bittersweet Farewell

    You’re bringing back memories. I’ve driven that road many times.
 
Top