Recent content by Nhoro

  1. Nhoro

    Magna-Porting a Double Rifle?

    With a left right barrel, you are going to have the rifle recoiling with a lot of twist. You can only port the outside. If you port upwards only, you will still have twist. Probably be difficult to regulate and possibly uncomfortable to fire. On another note, please remove yourself from the...
  2. Nhoro

    Flush Cup Swivel on 375 H&H - Good, Bad, or Ugly?

    I considered the same sling mounts for my 458. But I have never had a problem with the factory mounts on my CZ. As for barrel mounts, again I have never needed them so why bother. I used to carry my rifle in my hands with no sling but find it easier to be safe and I am less fatigued with a...
  3. Nhoro

    458 Lott vs 450 Rigby

    The rigby I probably a better design- lower pressure, more reasonable recoil than the weatherby but it was late to the party and probably sliding into the realm of specialty cartridges. The rigby also doesn't offer much in the way of improvement- sure energy is up but penetration is very...
  4. Nhoro

    First Focal Plane vs Second for Plains Game

    What Farmer_john said + I think FFP are useful for Shooters that hold for distance and wind because 1 mil is 1 mil at all magnifications. SFP is useful for people who dial distance and windage because the crosshairs remain the same size at all magnifications. And if you are dialing, you don't...
  5. Nhoro

    CZ American 550 9.3x62

    Trigger is adjustable. Once out of the stock, you can adjust weight, length of travel, sear overlap etc. You can also adjust away the set trigger if you want. I took my 2 apart and polished the contact surfaces with fine sandpaper and I have very nice light triggers with a minimum of creep.
  6. Nhoro

    Which scope would you prefer on a 375 H&H Bolt for DG and PG -

    I think your decision should start with - what is your range and what is your target. General plainsgame and DG - pretty much everything under 300m and 99% from 20-200 m. For me, I like a 1x for close up and probably 4 x is the absolute minimum. So your choices at1-6 are right on the money...
  7. Nhoro

    POLL: What's the best .458 solid bullet for Elephant?

    I use a Peregrine VRG solid myself but it wasn’t an option. They are easily available for me and the others are not. I would use 3,4,5,6 and 9. Haven’t any real knowledge. Wouldn’t use 1 and 2. Don’t really know much about 7 and 8. For me, reliable feeding is very important. Terminal...
  8. Nhoro

    Off Center Lever

    The locking lever does not usually lock up centered. It is usually at a slight angle. I don't think there is a specific measurement but a stand to be corrected.
  9. Nhoro

    Making my Interarms Whitworth Safari in .375 DG Ready

    Get various bullet shapes and make up some dummy rounds with them. A flat nose solid is usually to trouble causer. Make sure they feed 100%. You can bed the rifle and put some threaded rod through the wrist of the stock if you like. I have a CZ with factory crossbolts. I bedded the 2 recoil...
  10. Nhoro

    Suppressing a .375?

    But surely they are setting the barrel up in the lathe to take it down to the correct diameter for threading ? It would be a simple task to simply turn down the barrel for the sight ? Just a little step that might leave a shoulder but the sight barrel band will cover it up ? I guess it is...
  11. Nhoro

    How easy is it to get .404J ammo in Africa?

    Zimbabwe it is not common. I could probably organise some reloads or maybe factory if given a day or two notice. 458 win mag, 375 h&h and 458 lott are pretty easy. Factory ammo is readily available and reloads are common. 416 rigby and 404 are probably available but less common, probably...
  12. Nhoro

    On Premium Oil Finishes - Questions

    I have refinished 3 rifles. I stained my 458 and .22 stock with food dye. Approx. 7 years later, both are pretty similar to when I first refinished them. I have had my 458 on a rack next to a Verney double and the finish was very similar in colour and texture. I also refinished my 30-06 without...
  13. Nhoro

    North Fork Cup Point

    I would ask this question - what animal needs more penetration than a soft but less than a flat nose solid. Ellie cow is not a frontal on a big bull. So buffalo -use softs all the way. Ellie use flat nose solids all the way.what do we shoot with THE cup point- specialist texts heart shot on...
  14. Nhoro

    Hunting Elephant in Matesi should I Upgrade to Trophy

    As a Zimbabwean who knows the drill- listen to the advice. Cheap hunts in poor areas with poor PH's will end badly. Your best hope is a bad hunt, your worst nightmare is that it goes wrong. And by wrong, I mean leaving in a pine box. I see youtube videos with illegal hunts conducted by South...
  15. Nhoro

    Recoil Management

    Mercury is 20% heavier and that is mostly lost in the container and space in the tube. The design is simple, AI will show you the pictures and explain the marketing. I essence, the mercury slops back and forth in a capsule with space back and front. This will delay the inertia of the mercury. I...
 
Top