Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
KZN Hunters/ SAHGCA/
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia
What is the news on the ground in Harare? Is there a proper outbreak, or just the RSA Health services being cautious?

@kevin Peacock?

Attachments

• Newsflash NF-2023-02 - Cholera outbreak in Zimbabwe.pdf
    266.3 KB · Views: 82
Ohoo hope they can contain this. I was present in Stone Town when they had one there and it’s not great.

Fecal to oral transmission is gross. Bleach pans with door mats in them for shoes…serious hand washing…food prep safety…isolating the sick…and bring a bunch of Cerasport or drip drop oral rehydration packs so you don’t die of dehydration.

This is and always has been a hygiene issue. Good to know however and I would not be eating out in Harare right now.

The hard reality of that particular malady is that you are effectively pooping yourself to death via dehydration and imbalance of electrolytes. If you can input more than you poop, it’s miserable but survivable. Thing is…it pretty much has to be a specific oral rehydration mixture.

People joke, but I’ve seen more lives saved with Cerasport than with tourniquets. Any adult looking to be prepared in life should be traveling with the ability to do 2 things:

1. Make potable water via filtration and chem. This means a basic water filter and whatever chlorine based drops. It doesn’t help to take meds if you continue to injest dirty water.

2. Put back what you lose in hydration and electrolytes. A dozen packets of Cerasport, Liquid IV, or Drip Drop. It will save your life. I’ve seen people bounce back from being delirious and unable to stand…with just 2 bottles of water and a Cerasport.

Add some cippro and Imodium for severe cases.

https://ceraproductsinc.com/collections/ceralyte

https://www.liquid-iv.com/products/...MIj7zD3_SqgwMVVk1HAR2-9wpTEAAYASAAEgKOUvD_BwE

https://lifestraw.com/products/life...MIiMmp_fSqgwMVakhHAR2ppwEVEAQYBCABEgLpDfD_BwE

https://www.rei.com/product/866996/...FVPSWUGlWxELsaKqHjuM0nbh5yLBaue-xcQtrDZPDG0eo

I took the vaccine before I went in September, tastes horrible. My ph said that cholera is almost always running around at any given time.

I have not heard of any cases in our part of Zimbabwe, Binga district, Gwaii, vic falls Matetsi. We do our absolute best to stay out of Harare and Bulawayo.

Government officials lining their pockets?
living off the grid in a city is no bueno
“”Zimbabwe's recurring challenges, including water scarcity and deteriorating sanitation infrastructure, have paved the way for recent cholera outbreaks. Certain regions, such as Harare and Bulawayo, have endured months without running water, with raw sewage becoming a common sight in townships””

What is the news on the ground in Harare? Is there a proper outbreak, or just the RSA Health services being cautious?

@kevin Peacock?

Doxycycline is more effective in cholera with less resistance than ciprofloxacin. It is important to only use antibiotics in cholera in the severest cases. The kill or at least weaken the gut microbiome and worsen the effect of the cholera toxin, produced by a virus attached to the Vibrio cholera bacterium. Azithromycin is also more effective then Cipro, but still 2nd line to high dose doxycycline.

In terms of special application to Africa, I sometimes wonder if officials, delinquent in their public duty, were executed by guillotine if it would not save lives and cause future appointments to toe the line.

In terms of special application to Africa, I sometimes wonder if officials, delinquent in their public duty, were executed by guillotine if it would not save lives and cause future appointments to toe the line.

I’m afraid not. Every coup showed that. Life means nothing here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BarryFarr7

Latest profile posts

Safari Dave wrote on CoElkHunter's profile.
I didn't get drawn for Wyoming this year.

Are you planning to hunt Unit 4 this fall?

(Thinking about coming out)
another great review

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.
sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone