Zimbabwe Archery Lion and Hippo?

Huntforever

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Has Zimbabwe Parks Dept been issuing archery permits for Lion or Hippo?

Not for hippo that I know of

I was told for Hippo you don't need a special archery permit, Lol. Zimbabwe is so confusing. I'm going to try and call the Zimbabwe Guide association

If that does not work I really suggest that you call Zimbabwe National parks. I can provide the name of the person and phone number that you should talk to.

The Gentlemans name at Zimbabwe National Parks (Permits) is Alfred his phone +263 774362632.

Great!!! Thanks so much!! I really appreciate the contact information.

I got in touch with Alfred and he tells me it is still not allowed to bow hunt elephant in Zim.

Did he think it would be changing anytime soon? Did he say why elephants can't be hunted with a bow?

I find it amazing that your Safari operator cannot answer your questions.
If we have a question concerning parks laws and regulations we get on the phone to parks and we have the answer to our question. Your operator should be able to do the same.

I've heard a number of bad stories and a number on this site. The generally consensus is the hunter needs to be informed of the laws. That's all I'm trying to do.

Tokoloshe do you know if a Hippo or lion can be hunted with a bow?

I think the issue is we are being told it is allowed somewhere but I cannot find where it would be allowed and am guessing my outfitter is seeing the same issues.

I did not bring up lion or hippo to Alfred. I want to get my leopard in Zim but have been holding off to do that as a combo hunt. 14 days for only 1 of the Big 5 is a huge time commitment for small progress on my African slam. I figure that I will likely go to Zambia or Mozambique for my hippo (and croc and now probably my elephant as well).

He did not make it sound like they were looking to change their law on bow hunting thick skinned game.

.... I want to get my leopard in Zim but have been holding off to do that as a combo hunt. 14 days for only 1 of the Big 5 is a huge time commitment for small progress on my African slam. ...

I hope you realize getting a shot at a shootable leopard is not a gimme. I have friends that did multiple 14 days hunt in order to get their leopard.

That being said, I can see shooting a hippo for bait at the start of the hunt. Obviously, not with a bow in Zimbabwe.

Here is what I found elsewhere on bow hunting in Zim:

BOWHUNTING

Bowhunting is legal in Zimbabwe. However, the hunting of pachyderms and thick skinned animals, like elephant, hippo and crocodile, with bows and arrows is no longer permitted. Bow-hunting may only be done with compound bows. Bow-hunting with recurve bows, longbows or crossbows is not permitted unless a special permit has been issued for which the safari operator must apply for six months prior to the start of the bow hunt. This special bow-hunting permit comes at a substantial cost.

MINIMUM EQUIPMENT REQUIRED FOR BOWHUNTING

Class A Game: (Elephant, Hippo and Buffalo) Bow Kinetic Energy 80ft/lbs. Arrow weight 700 grain.

Class B Game: (Lion, Giraffe, Eland) Bow Kinetic Energy 77ft/lbs. Arrow weight 695 grain. Bowheads with only two cutting edges.

Class C Game: (Leopard, Crocodile, Kudu, Oryx / Gemsbok, Hartebeest, Wildebeest, Zebra, Nyala, Sable Antelope, Waterbuck, Tsessebe, etc.) Bow Kinetic Energy 70ft/lbs. Arrow weight 618 grain.

Class D Game: (Warthog, Impala, Reedbuck, Duiker, Steenbok, Jackal, Game Birds, etc.) Bow Kinetic Energy: 56ft/lbs. Arrow weight: 618 grains.

I hope you realize getting a shot at a shootable leopard is not a gimme. I have friends that did multiple 14 days hunt in order to get their leopard.

That being said, I can see shooting a hippo for bait at the start of the hunt. Obviously, not with a bow in Zimbabwe.
I certainly know it isn't a gimme. I just figure that unless I opt to hunt with dogs, I am going to be doing nocturnal hunts for the leopard and then what am I going to hunt during the day. My preference would be to hunt other DG during the day in addition to the odd plains game for bait. Also, I would want all my hunts to be done with a bow.

I've been digging for months and not a single person or outfitter has shown me any official documents stating bow hunting any animal is illegal.

I cant even get a straight
answer on what animals require a special bow permit.

I certainly know it isn't a gimme. I just figure that unless I opt to hunt with dogs, I am going to be doing nocturnal hunts for the leopard and then what am I going to hunt during the day. My preference would be to hunt other DG during the day in addition to the odd plains game for bait. Also, I would want all my hunts to be done with a bow.
During the day you will check baits, you really do not have time to do a proper DG hunt. Guy in my camp hunting a lion was traveling 250 km a day with his PH checking baits (got a buffalo after the lion and hippo as bait earlier on). Also, in Zimbabwe you hunt leopards during the night only in communal areas, in Parks areas it is dawn to dusk.

To be honest Zambia might be a better destination for you if they allow bow hunting.

The outfitter may say something is fine when it is not technically legal.

I am sure everyone knows what I am talking about ;) ;)

Outfitters know how to please a client and they know how to grease the wheels with anyone that may need it. A dead hippo is a dead hippo and no one is going to complain how it was killed….

What the OP is asking is the way to be fully legal to avoid any long term ramifications out of an abundance of caution. Also if it’s entered into any record book- SCI, RW etc.

Outfitters know how to please a client and they know how to grease the wheels with anyone that may need it. A dead hippo is a dead hippo and no one is going to complain how it was killed….
No one will complain about how a dead hippo was killed, however if it’s wounded and members of hunting party are hurt or killed in follow up lots of questions will get asked and accusations made. It needs to stay legal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jtumolo18

Latest profile posts

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.
sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone
We fitted a new backup generator for the Wildgoose lodge!
one of our hunters had to move his hunt to next year we have an opening first week of September, shoot me a message!