Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunting club, target shooting club, national hunting and shooting organisations
Hunted
Namibia - Kalahari, Namibia - Khomas highland
Gents,
Can you post here some photos of your local shooting range, shooting range of your club, or just where you practice?
Thanks!

I'm very lucky to live close to a few within 1 hours drive. Closest would be 30 minutes.

The photo with the rifle in it is my closest range. That range has rifle (500 yards), shotgun and pistol sections. It's located on a huge complex which houses rifle ranges out to 1000 yards.

Photo with the dam in it is of my sporting clays range...on the same complex. And the other photo is of my favourite rifle range....about an hour from home.

IMG_1359.JPG
IMG_2623.JPG
Image-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You mean, besides standard, "why not"? - and ""thats why the forums are for"?

Id like to see how the ranges are equipped for satisfaction of the users. I am looking to buy property to form a shooting range.

I'll try to remember to take some pics at the private range I go to.

This is a public range about 30 minutes from my house, and has shooting lanes out to 600 yards. Shooting is under cover out to the 300 yard line. People walk to the 100 and 200 yd line, but past that, we drive out during cease fire. They also have skeet, sporting clays, and trap shooting. Never shot trap or sporting clays, but the skeet range is nice. The paper targets to the left are at 300 yards, the shooter is shooting at 500 yards.

bunch more pics here: https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!...=2ahUKEwinxbvJ5YrzAhUwmGoFHUfRDUcQoip6BAhQEAM
asc_long.JPG
asc_short.JPG

The other is a private range in Columbus, Texas. The rifle shooting area is "covered" by live oak trees. They offer pretty good shade when it's hot as balls July - September here. There are gongs from 200 yards and as far out as 1000 yards, but I usually bring my own steel and practice at all different distances every time I go (generally once a month, the first Saturday of the month)

Yup,I was curious if there was a reason besides why not.
I was hoping it was because you’re planning your own.

You mean, besides standard, "why not"? - and ""thats why the forums are for"?

Id like to see how the ranges are equipped for satisfaction of the users. I am looking to buy property to form a shooting range.

This one goes to 600 yards with your targets set at 50,100,200. Gongs are at 200-600. It’s an hour away from us. But you can shoot off the sticks, off the bench or on the ground. I like it here because I can zero out my scopes and shoot. Handgun shooting is about 50 yards to the right. Shot gun is to the left. This place does have a shotgun club next door. When deer walk onto the area everyone has to stop shooting!

sorry about the foggy picture. You can look it up on Yelp for better ones

angeles shooting range California

I must admit I am very jealous of anyone that has property with there own range on it!!

0FF5BCFD-30CB-42F9-B324-3A45589040FA.jpeg

Our range at the ranch we improved some years ago with the concrete patio, bench for 2 shooting positions. 50 and 100 yard targets. A deer blind behind me on the hill provides practice out to 250&300 yards.

9C1D06AE-F538-49A5-84AF-0ABE7E3432A7.jpeg

My gun club has an abundance of hanging steel as well as bases for silhouette matches on my favorite range. There are other ranges/berms geared for paper targets, 3-gun, action pistol, etc. Plus there is an area for 5 stand shotgun.

Through the legs of the taller set of sticks, this picture happens to show steel (in yards) at 109, 165 and 225. I also place my 6" rimfire steel target at the 109 yd (100M) berm. Shooters are free to use the benches or any safe shooting position they choose.

Through and beside the yoke of the shorter set of sticks (set for kneeling) is a 12" square and 10" steel plate at 219 yards (200M), which is my Zeroing range for just about everything. To the right of the shorter sticks is various sized steel at 325 and 425 yards. Not visible are berms and hanging steel at 300, 465, 550, 600, 600M, 650M, 700M and 785 yards. Plus a few more.

There are restrictions on shooting magnum or steel jacket on the steel, however you are allowed to bring and hang your own if desired. The various internal competitive clubs hang additional reactive targets unique to their scheduled matches.
20210622_073640.jpg

Out the back door. 100 meters from the bench, and I can do 200 from the sticks. Truly blessed. And never have to worry about muzzle brakes or being showered with AK brass. :A Way To Go:

shooting range.jpg

This is the shotgun range. We have trap, skeet, sporting clays and five stand. It's a good club. I will take a photo of the rifle range next time I am out there. Its a good club, but it is fairly limited compared to those described in this thread. 50, 100 and 200 yard ranges. A 300 is in the planning stage.
20210612_115455.jpg

I am fortunate to have enough acreage to have a rifle range and mini sporting clays range on my property. I live adjacent to a large National Forest and can go through my gate and walk/shoot at nearly any distance. For me, this is ideal.

65DC8980-C8D7-40EB-99FB-E898D9CE78C5.jpeg

set up at the house in TX, at 100 yards here and can grab the bench with the tractor and shoot 200. Very handy indeed. No tacti-cool operators to deal with!

Mine is nearly 2 hours away, it’s pathetic, and costs $10 a session. They used to allow target shooting for free on all the WMA’s, but all the ones near me have been shut down to target practice. So, I am currently looking to buy a farm in the next year or 2 to have my own private range like everyone else in this state.
In Arizona, I had several ranges within an hour that were fantastic. C’est la vie.

Just a homemade setup for me. Steel gongs (mainly 6 inch with a couple 8 and 10 inchers) spaced 50 yards apart. Distance is based on where we set up to shoot. Can shoot up to 500ish

868F1772-89E7-4378-9062-E611F57A9794.jpeg

I'll try to get pics tomorrow, dark now.y reloading bench is in corner of taxidermy shop as I have a dedicated 100 yard range but can do 400 yards at farm and up to 1 mile on powerlines 10 minutes from house.

Phoenix Rod and Gun club is where I shoot. Their patch of land doesn't allow the high power 300 & 500 to operate independent so has to be scheduled. Ben Avery is state run and has a separate 1000 yard range but it is for matches and not casual shooters. They beat nothing.

I shoot at a sandpit about 10 minutes from home. I can get out to about 200 yds. There is a small one just around the corner from this one, good for about 35 yds. I use it to zero new scopes before going to the big pit and longer ranges. I have a couple public ranges within 15 miles but don't shoot there. I don't like anyone around and all the restrictions when I'm shooting. Had a couple incidents of lead flying around me when downrange checking targets on a supposedly cold range. Some people just don't get the word..

We have a great new range at the Ben Avery shooting range in Phoenix AZ called the Frank DeSomma Memorial range. Its all steel with swingers and poppers set up at 200 (blue), 300 (red), 400 (yellow), and 500 (green) meters. It is perfect for practicing field shooting positions. Its where my wife and trained for our Safari. Her favorite target is the coyote at 300 meters. She has never missed hitting the heart flapper off the Viper Stix.

IMGP7906.jpg
PXL_20210801_163527473_Moment.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeremyKell

Latest profile posts

Safari Dave wrote on CoElkHunter's profile.
I didn't get drawn for Wyoming this year.

Are you planning to hunt Unit 4 this fall?

(Thinking about coming out)
another great review

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.
sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone