Will a Tikka action be a good start to build a 416 Ruger?

Have any of the commentators had problems with the Tikka plastic magazine or bottom “metal”? Was it just your buddy that did? I personally have not. I’ve had correspondence with a fellow who’s built a 375 Ruger on one. He has to force the last cartridge in if he wants to carry 3 in the magazine. It kicks so hard that it smashes the lead tips and he’s had the scope slide forward in the mounts. Yet the magazine stays in the rifle in spite of it all.

I've had a couple of Tikka T3 rifles, and I agree on the magazine being the issue. Not that I doubt it would hold up under most conditions, but I think the real problem is magazine retention. They are very easy to pop out, and not sure how they would fare with the recoil of a 416. I bet the 300 Win Mag action and magazine would work with the 416 Ruger, but not sure. It's a single stack magazine, so those tend to be easier to make feed correctly. But if it didn't feed correctly, there's not much recourse to correct it.

Why not just buy a Ruger in 416 Ruger ?
Because I grew up with a Tikka and really like them but I'll admit that your suggestion would be the more logical and simple way to go.

Have any of the commentators had problems with the Tikka plastic magazine or bottom “metal”? Was it just your buddy that did? I personally have not. I’ve had correspondence with a fellow who’s built a 375 Ruger on one. He has to force the last cartridge in if he wants to carry 3 in the magazine. It kicks so hard that it smashes the lead tips and he’s had the scope slide forward in the mounts. Yet the magazine stays in the rifle in spite of it all.
I've never had any issues regarding feeding or breakage with the oem plastic mags and bottom metal but I've managed to unintentionally release the magazine due to the location of the release which is why I switched to an aics bottom metal where the mag release is behind the mag and less exposed.

I've never had any issues regarding feeding or breakage with the oem plastic mags and bottom metal but I've managed to unintentionally release the magazine due to the location of the release which is why I switched to an aics bottom metal where the mag release is behind the mag and less exposed.
Moving up to a 416RUGER in such a light rifle will show the weak points of a rifle in short order...especially with the know magazine issues.

I understand that you like the Tikka rifles and have a soft spot for them in your heart, but sometimes there are just easier solutions to the problem you are having. It might be time to broaden your horizons and give yourself the chance to fall in love with something else.

Some quick questions for ya. Why the 416RUGER and what do you plan to hunt? Do you already have a .375 caliber rifle? If you don't have a 375 and haven't owned anything bigger than that, it would be a great idea to at least give one a try. I know that Sako (essentially a fancy Tikka) makes 375H&H rifles that are exquisite and you are not likely to need much more as a client hunter.

I know you are in Sweden, but this Sako A5 in 375H&H is a steal...
GB Sako Rifle

Last edited:
Speaking from experience, I hate AICS magazines. The way they protrude from the stock, the sharp corners, and the “Shang” of the spring when the trigger is pulled.

I have a tikka in a 300WSM. With factory magazines, 3 rounds chamber easily. The case body of the 416 Ruger is not larger than the WSM. Aftermarket metal bottom metal and metal magazines are available. The aftermarket magazines sometimes have shoulder stops to prevent rounds from sliding in recoil.
I did have some feeding trouble with the Mountain Tactical aftermarket magazine, but never with the factory mag, and definitely got it fixed with a few minutes and a flat file.

I say if you want to do a 416 Ruger on a Tikka, go ahead. It will be fun and lively. Some gremlins might show up but that should be easy to fix.

I believe there are a couple AICS pattern magazines that are flush. Don’t get many rounds in them, 2 or 3. I’ve got a couple rifles set up with them, I don’t have any flush mags though. I really don’t like them much either as - is.

I have I think 8 tikkas from 308 to 338 win. They are some of the smoothest and best feeding actions out there. The magnum box mag should feed the 416 ruger just fine. If you want a little extra space get a wsm mag and take the end block out. Sounds like some of these responders may not have even seen a T3. I have never had one not feed.

I recently converted a 375 Ruger to acis mag. I haven’t been that happy with it. It feeds rough, not smooth. And honestly why would you need more than 3 or 4 at a time (talking to myself).

I disagree with @BeeMaa on this. 416 is a significant step up in knockdown power from 375. My three rifle Afrixa setup is now 338 Lapua, 375ruger, and 416ruger. If I was going to leave one at home, it would be the 375.

If you were taking only one rifle, then MAYBE 375 would get the nod. However, my 400gr Maximus load in 416 only drops 5.6 at 200 yards. A 300 Maximus load from 375 drops 4.3.

I did have a 225 tipped raptor load made for 416 that drops 3.4 at 200 and 13.9 at 300. So if willing to use different bullets you can do everything with 416 you do with 375, and have about 500 extra lbs of energy on your DG, plus larger surface area

Moving up to a 416RUGER in such a light rifle will show the weak points of a rifle in short order...especially with the know magazine issues.

I understand that you like the Tikka rifles and have a soft spot for them in your heart, but sometimes there are just easier solutions to the problem you are having. It might be time to broaden your horizons and give yourself the chance to fall in love with something else.

Some quick questions for ya. Why the 416RUGER and what do you plan to hunt? Do you already have a .375 caliber rifle? If you don't have a 375 and haven't owned anything bigger than that, it would be a great idea to at least give one a try. I know that Sako (essentially a fancy Tikka) makes 375H&H rifles that are exquisite and you are not likely to need much more as a client hunter.

I know you are in Sweden, but this Sako A5 in 375H&H is a steal...
GB Sako Rifle
I don´t really have a need for anything bigger than a 308 in all honesty so this theoretical project would just be to see how much you can do with a Tikka action. I have a 9.3x62 and a 458 Lott so the 416 would fit nicely in between even though I have no need for any of those rifles. Sakos in 375 similar to the one you listed can be found for about 500 usd here because we are limited to owning 6 guns for hunting which really keeps the prices low on used stuff so if I wanted a good 375 i´d get one but that has never been the goal of this for me atleast.

I think the Tikka is a nice little rifle. But I do not think it is a basis for a DG rifle, if that is what you have in mind. The magazine is problematic, as pointed out, and no CRF, the rifle is too light, etc.

I would just buy a Ruger Alaskan or Hawkeye in 416 Ruger and be done if that is the cartridge you want. Cheaper in the long run and carries a warranty.

I don´t really have a need for anything bigger than a 308 in all honesty so this theoretical project would just be to see how much you can do with a Tikka action. I have a 9.3x62 and a 458 Lott so the 416 would fit nicely in between even though I have no need for any of those rifles. Sakos in 375 similar to the one you listed can be found for about 500 usd here because we are limited to owning 6 guns for hunting which really keeps the prices low on used stuff so if I wanted a good 375 i´d get one but that has never been the goal of this for me atleast.
EVERYONE has a need for AT LEAST a mid-bore rifle and don't you dare let that blasphemy come out of your keyboard again. ;)

All joking aside, a .416 caliber would fill that little gap in your battery quite nicely. However, if you are seriously considering using it for Africa there are better choices like the 416RM or 416RIGBY. Of course I'm speaking to the availability of ammo in remote areas. The Ruger cartridges have caught on but the 375RUGER is much more popular than the 416RUGER. Just a quick search at Safari Outdoor (in Johannesburg, SA) shows no stock for 416RUGER and that's about as populated as it gets. The Rem Mag and Rigby rule the day in the .416's.

Truth - Your 308WIN and 458WM are all you will every need in Africa. And if it were me (and it's not) I'd spend that 416RUGER money on 458WM ammo and get really good at using it properly. BTW - those are the exact calibers my PH had and he'd been using them for over 12 years. 308WIN was his culling and smaller game (<500 lb) rifle and the 458WM was his bigger game/stopping rifle. He has no plans of getting rid of either rifle.

I converse with a guy on Facebook named Anthony George. He has built a 458 WM on a Tikka T3 that worked out well. He said he thinks the 416 Ruger or Taylor would work out even better. I say go for it, and let us know how it turns out. Just go with a slightly heavy contour barrel, and a laminated stock to keep the weight within reason. I'm thinking about 8.5 to 9lbs should be a good bare rifle weight. With scope and ammo, you'd be at around 9.5 to 10lbs. About right for a 416 IMO.

Tikka is a good rifle. However, a custom build is going to be expensive. I just can’t see that it makes sense to put that kind of money into a Tikka. There are many better options out there.

Well at 1st glance it might look expensive. It is a tikka so prefit barrels are easily had. If he already has a magnum bolt, it will require some magazine work (I would think). As long as he doesn't want irons he will not have much invested in the build. My .02

I think the Tikka is a nice little rifle. But I do not think it is a basis for a DG rifle, if that is what you have in mind. The magazine is problematic, as pointed out, and no CRF, the rifle is too light, etc.

I would just buy a Ruger Alaskan or Hawkeye in 416 Ruger and be done if that is the cartridge you want. Cheaper in the long run and carries a warranty.

May have missed it but I don’t see anyone asking about building this for dangerous game. Be that as it may I would carry it for our DG…coastal brown bear…without issue.

the mag is going to be your biggest hiccup. other guns your can alter the magazine box or feed rails, but tikka feed from a detachable mag, and they don't offer anything that is close to the right size in factory form. also, you're trying to load a very fat cartridge from a narrow loading port. all in all, just not the best action to start with. 416 Taylor may work better, but even better still is a base action with more flexibility.

Agreed

Guys, how do you figure the mag will be a problem. The body of the 416 is 532, the belt on the winmag is 532. The feed line to the chamber is almost straight. I don’t see any problem at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jtumolo18

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.
sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone
We fitted a new backup generator for the Wildgoose lodge!
one of our hunters had to move his hunt to next year we have an opening first week of September, shoot me a message!