Who Are The Best Running Shots With A Rifle?

I didn't see this video posted and it's a great highlight of Franz shooting driven boar and actually selecting certain ages/genders out of a running herd. He's a freaking alien with that Sauer bolt gun...and it's not a straight pull!

With that many dogs the handlers do their best, but yes. You cannot leave your stand location for safety reasons until the drive is over.
Makes sense with 24 guns a blazing. Are the stands boiler plate? :D

Makes sense with 24 guns a blazing. Are the stands boiler plate? :D
Just a spot on ground marked with a flag. I maybe fired 13 or 14 shots for 10 animals. I missed one stag the second day.
Spain stand location
IMG_2071.jpeg

These are the stands used on driven hunts where I hunted in Sweden. Just a 6-8 feet off ground. They had 400 on 11000 acres.
IMG_2070.jpeg

In the US I’d fully agree with you. In Europe though many trophy hunts are done with drives. Especially Spain because some properties are difficult to hunt by stalking for deer, so a driven hunt is used as a once per year management tool. The Monteria I participated in was 24 hunters each with a quota of 4 stags, 4 females, and unlimited boars if seen. My first day stand location had shots to about 250 yards looking at a hillside but I could wait for an animal to pause. The second day I was set up on a corner where 50 yards would be the longest shot all running fast. With the dogs available for follow up, I thought it was fine to hunt deer this way. I shot well thankfully, one boar and one female required a short follow up. I took 4 stags, 4 females, 2 boars. I chose a lower priced Monteria without big trophies but others get deer as nice as you will take by stalking. Big Boars are highly valued in Europe as a game animal as well, not like feral hogs in US. Here was second day Monteria results.View attachment 554681
375 Fox, i agree with the points you make and was not critizing

In the US I’d fully agree with you. In Europe though many trophy hunts are done with drives. Especially Spain because some properties are difficult to hunt by stalking for deer, so a driven hunt is used as a once per year management tool. The Monteria I participated in was 24 hunters each with a quota of 4 stags, 4 females, and unlimited boars if seen. My first day stand location had shots to about 250 yards looking at a hillside but I could wait for an animal to pause. The second day I was set up on a corner where 50 yards would be the longest shot all running fast. With the dogs available for follow up, I thought it was fine to hunt deer this way. I shot well thankfully, one boar and one female required a short follow up. I took 4 stags, 4 females, 2 boars. I chose a lower priced Monteria without big trophies but others get deer as nice as you will take by stalking. Big Boars are highly valued in Europe as a game animal as well, not like feral hogs in US. Here was second day Monteria results.View attachment 554681
375 Fox, I have great respect for “tradition” and appreciate the different ways different cultures hunt - there is usually a reason for it ie: hunting deer in the US with hounds is illegal in most States but a long standing tradition in some Southern States (Virginia etc.), hunting deer over bait illegal in PA, ME, NY, etc..but not in many other States. I believe most traditions started for a reason and should be respected. I was not criticizing the European method of hunting driven game in any way - and in fact I would love to go on a hunt like that (hope I could shoot well enough). In some areas of the U.S. there is a tradition of hunting deer on a “drive” and South Jersey is one of them - where I grew up. The shotgun & “buckshot only” requirement combined with thick cover made this a practice & productive method of hunting — and very exciting. Appreciate the video being posted and enjoyed watching it - to participate in a good hunt, conducted in a manner that has a long standing tradition behind it, is a privilege.

Combine that with leadscare predator,bird sniffing people and you get hard bullets in use that make danger for richochets and bad opening.

On German Staatforst, State forest area it has been injuries and deaths with such bullets like. SF made it mandatory leadfree years go

So soft bullets like Fox.Sax, Norma and similar is favored

Rws, Gexo,Brenneke also.

I'd like to give my two cents. All those who participate in driven hunting are quite competent running shots. Driven boar, driven buck, driven deer, driven wolf, fox, rabbit are all challenging in their own right.

Franz Albrecht has superhuman skills with a rifle on moving game. Watching him shoot is like watching Messi on the pitch. He is just incredible. More so, he comes across as a gentleman and a quiet professional.

Safe shooting

Just a spot on ground marked with a flag. I maybe fired 13 or 14 shots for 10 animals. I missed one stag the second day.
Spain stand location
View attachment 554682

These are the stands used on driven hunts where I hunted in Sweden. Just a 6-8 feet off ground. They had 400 on 11000 acres.
View attachment 554683
Interesting. How high is the brush at that Spain stand?

What say ye--who are the best running shot artists?
In average, best shots are Swedish. My opinion.

They are the only nation that have annual test shoots on running moose target 80 mtrs before the season starts.
If hunter does not make criteria he will not get license to hunt.

This means that average active Swedish hunter, is above global average as he has been vetted periodically.

I am not aware of any other nations doing this. Pls correct me if I am wrong.

Countries that dont practice driven big game hunts can be excused under benefit of doubt. ;-)

In average, best shots are Swedish. My opinion.

They are the only nation that have annual test shoots on running moose target 80 mtrs before the season starts.
If hunter does not make criteria he will not get license to hunt.

This means that average active Swedish hunter, is above global average as he has been vetted periodically.

I am not aware of any other nations doing this. Pls correct me if I am wrong.

Countries that dont practice driven big game hunts can be excused under benefit of doubt. ;-)

Norway have stricter if not changed even more so recently.

30 shots general practice minimum over 2 nights .

Then for single shot ,bolt ,semi ,pump , straight pull
5 shot on Reindeer target within the circle . This is with each gun to use if you are hunting big game . Roe deer , lynx , seals , hybrids dog mixes .

For combo , doubles , drilling 3 shots within the circle . And it has to be testified when done to show not the rifle , ammo and you are ok .

Running boar is still a serious shooting discipline. A good friend has won the UK title multiple times. I suspect that a perusal of the top shooters in this discipline would give you a pretty good idea.

I'm sure others have seen it. There's at least one video out there of a young fella culling southern US hogs from a helicopter. He is AMAZING! Not sure what he's shooting but not a real heavy caliber form the looks of the cases being ejected. Killed even the big ones dead. I think he is military? Say what you want about the German prince, but to see a fella pasting moving targets consistently from a rapidly moving platform ... well, that is impressive!

I'm sure others have seen it. There's at least one video out there of a young fella culling southern US hogs from a helicopter. He is AMAZING! Not sure what he's shooting but not a real heavy caliber form the looks of the cases being ejected. Killed even the big ones dead. I think he is military? Say what you want about the German prince, but to see a fella pasting moving targets consistently from a rapidly moving platform ... well, that is impressive!

Kinda like wolf control in Alaska, only we do that out of super cubs.

Franz albrecht is probably the best known in this area and viewing his videos suggests that this reputation is not undeserved.

On average, the Germans and the scandi nations probably rank highly. Both have a running target component to their hunter training and so there is the provision of facilities for it at many ranges.

The UK has several running boar ranges, the one at Bisley and the one at diggle where I used to shoot that discipline being the notable ones. However, having seen the scores coming out of those competitions, I'd not say that the general standard is that high. I used to place consistently in the top 5 for diggle when I shot, and I was still only scoring 130-150 ex 200 with say 15-18/20 kill shots on a good day.

My Son and his friends did a Helicopter pig hunt in Texas (expensive for 1 hour!!). I asked about the shooting difficulty and he said “easy” - often no lead required and all were shooting .223 semi autos. He said after the first few shots everyone seemed to “settle in” and misses were few...some pigs took multiple hits (understandable with .223) but they all had a blast - killed many pigs and 2 coyote, all running full out and fast —- but not faster the the Helicopter. I’d like to try it and see for myself but the cost is in the $1000s. Texas does a good job of finding ways to charge you $$ — to kill their pig problem.

A good helo pilot matches the air speed to the ground speed of the game (or ideally, a touch faster to eliminate leading the animal) and puts the shooter on good angles. At that point, it gets a lot simpler. The real talent is in the pilot's touch more than the shooter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
manojsharma

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)