Where to start

I agree with comments. In SA you will be offered some incredible total packages with either no day fees or all inclusive. Outside SA you will mostly find day rates and trophy fees. Here is a great example. In SA you can find a nice buffalo advertised package on here for $8000 inclusive except tips and air fare. In Zim you will find day rates of $800 plus with trophy fee for the same buff for $5500. Both 10 day hunts you see Zim is $13500 versus $8000. The key IS THEY ARE ENTIRELY DIFFERENT HUNTS and experience… both great but again a different experience

Don’t be the odd man out. Take my wife. I’ll cover your day fees. I need a vacation :cool:

I just told her I offered her up as an observer. Her response?

“Tell him to send pictures “

@Scott CWO I think we need to split hairs on "lots of game" as a definition. I'm a big fan of Zim and I've taken plenty of game there over a dozen plus safaris. I think I've travelled every State (or are they provinces?) in Zim except for the Eastern Highlands and many places have plenty of game by my standards and yours. But does any place in Zim have the density of unmanaged wildlife that can compare to what can be done in RSA or Texas? No way.

I say that not to try to spar with words, but only to set expectations for other readers. Places where Fly Camp safaris happen (predominantly, Zim, Zam, Tanz) are wonderful places and if you bust your butt, you're going to find nice trophy animals. You may have 6-8 trophies planned and if you were setting the standard of SCI Bronze or better, I suspect you'd get 80%+ of your wish-list. But what are the odds in RSA by comparison? You'd have seen dozens of SCI Golds in the same level of time and effort, plus the PH and operator probably have a rough count of the numbers and quality of each section of fenced areas because the game is non-migratory and actively monitored.
@rookhawk I think we aren’t that far apart on our statements but I think it’s wise to keep in mind that most American hunters are used to hunting in areas here that are decent but still don’t have the numbers or diversity of species as Zim. You have more experience in Zim than I but where I have hunted (Save Valley Conservancy) there are plenty of plains game numbers and species. I saw lots of kudu, impala, wildebeest, waterbuck, zebra, warthog, etc… every day. It’s absolutely no problem to get nice PG trophies and if you don’t shoot at least one species per day, that’s rare. Not sure but I may have more experience than you in Zambia and Mozambique. In those countries, PG was also very common. Much more common than what anyone would expect to see in the USA.

I agree with @IdaRam about C9 in Mozambique. C9 is highly populated with lots of PG and if you don’t get your PG there, you’re either blind or cannot shoot. I hunted C9 in July and did very well. August or September could be even better. Same for several areas in Zambia.

With a little research or advice from those of us that have been there, it is fairly easy to put a combo DG and PG free-range safari together. I have done it several times. I have went with other hunters hunting DG while I hunted PG more than once and all of us were very happy.

As for some areas/ranches in South Africa, seeing artificially extremely high numbers of PG would be obviously unnatural to me and I actually wouldn’t like it. In addition, and quite frankly from what I have seen of buffalo pictures posted from SA, you have to be careful not to shoot younger soft boss bulls on some hunts in SA.

Last edited:
Coutada 9 with Mokore is real Africa. Lots of plains game. Hunted around elephant and buffalo. Sengwe Research would have been perfect, but I believe that concession is closed. I could be wrong. Talk with Neil or Gary. A little out of your budget, but not too much. You’ll never regret it, I promise you that.

Sengwe Research would have been perfect, but I believe that concession is closed. I could be wrong.
It is not closed. The hunting will be done through charlton McCallum Safaris starting this year. I read they offered a portion of the quota to Mokore but I don’t know if they accepted or not.

@rookhawk I think we aren’t that far apart on our statements but I think it’s wise to keep in mind that most American hunters are used to hunting in areas here that are decent but still don’t have the numbers or diversity of species as Zim. You have more experience in Zim than I but where I have hunted (Save Valley Conservancy) there are plenty of plains game numbers and species. I saw lots of kudu, impala, wildebeest, waterbuck, zebra, warthog, etc… every day. It’s absolutely no problem to get nice PG trophies and if you don’t shoot at least one species per day, that’s rare. Not sure but I may have more experience than you in Zambia and Mozambique. In those countries, PG was also very common. Much more common than what anyone would expect to see in the USA.

I agree with @IdaRam about C9 in Mozambique. C9 is highly populated with lots of PG and if you don’t get your PG there, you’re either blind or cannot shoot. Same for several areas in Zambia.

With a little research or advice from those of us that have been there, it is fairly easy to put a combo DG and PG free-range safari together. I have done it several times. I have went with other hunters hunting DG while I hunted PG more than once and all of us were very happy.

As for some areas/ranches in South Africa, seeing artificially extremely high numbers of PG would be obviously unnatural to me and I actually wouldn’t like it. In addition, and quite frankly from what I have seen of buffalo pictures posted from SA, you have to be careful not to shoot younger soft boss bulls on some hunts in SA.
I’m glad to hear Zambia is still that way. I didn’t want to comment because it was 2006, but I saw a higher density of plains game in the northern kafue than I’ve ever even seen in South Africa. It was unbelievable. Along with elephant, croc, hippo, lions as regular sightings and a few buffalo. I’ve had extremely good luck on plains game in other wild concession areas, but so much depends on timing.

Just for giggles you may reach out to Henry griffiths who is a sponsor on here and see how close he can come to meeting your desires. I’ve not hunted with him, have just followed some of his offers in the past. Can’t hurt-

It is not closed. The hunting will be done through charlton McCallum Safaris starting this year. I read they offered a portion of the quota to Mokore but I don’t know if they accepted or not.
The quota is reduced some on Sengwe going forward as it’s being managed with Chirisa for game. (as per 2022 CMS news letter).

CMS also sent out emails on that and the addition of a plains game property, hunting on Gokwe, taking on all of Nykasanga quota going forward. They be some busy boys.

As others have said, go it alone. I did my first time, and will again go it alone this June.

Take a look at my hunt report: I took 2 kudu, 2 impala, a zebra, blue wildebeest, springbok, warthog, blesbok - and a cow buffalo. And my total cost was within your budget. The accommodations were very comfortable. Photos and a trip report are here:

The quota is reduced some on Sengwe going forward as it’s being managed with Chirisa for game. (as per 2022 CMS news letter).

CMS also sent out emails on that and the addition of a plains game property, hunting on Gokwe, taking on all of Nykasanga quota going forward. They be some busy boys.
Plus sentinel ranch for plains game. They will be very busy.

I don’t know if it’s possible to plan for and satisfy everyone’s dream of the Africa they imagine, including yours. The most remote hunts I’ve been on in Africa were in Mozambique and Zambia. Both were tent camps on rivers. Don’t underestimate the benefits, comfort, accommodations and food possible in these primitive camps. A good outfitter and staff will offset any preconceived potential discomfort or shortcoming. Many of the cooks are better called chefs even though they cook on crude charcoal fired stoves and ovens. These hunts will come as close as any, in the reality of present history, if trying to re-create the adventures of the past as recorded in books and short stories, Even the most primitive camps usually will start a generator occasionally to re-charge electronic gadgets. The only thing they usually do not have is a swimming pool - pools are largely window dressing for lodges to gain star ratings and for photo gallery advertising. These remote tented camps offer the best chance for experiencing real Africa. Tanzania is also known for providing this type experience, but the price tag there can cause nose bleed.:) Research, due diligence and gut feeling is what I’ve always used to plan big trips and it seems to work. Be aware of overcooked sales pitches and internet advice from inexperienced one timers. Also, try to avoid hunter mill operations.

When you get a minute pop me an email. I can help in South Africa with free range buffalo. Tent style but decent enough for the wives. Info@spearsafaris.com
Cheers Ernest

Good day! You're welcome to go check out our website! We have a tent camp with ensuite bathrooms and family friendly! executivehuntafrica.com You can send me an email executivehuntafrica@gmail.com

Regards,Johan

I’ll be able to offer you two destinations.
1.)All full big 5 dangerous 7 area in South Africa (Waterberg wilderness)
2.)Our block located in the Niassa Special reserve L9 a full free roaming quality wilderness area. That for the money will blow most wilderness areas out of the water, in terms of species availability from Plains game through to dangerous game.

With that said I have to be honest that our Mozambique area will stretch your budget slightly.

On option 1 I’ll be able to get close to your friends budget it might be over a little, but then again we offer what few areas in SA can.

Feel free to give me a shout jaco@kwalata.com check out the website: www.kwalata.com I’ll be happy to provide you with an Authentic, quality African safari on any one of these two areas.
My best always.

Good Day Sir

Tsala Hunting Safari’s have a few options for you to consider.The issue the difference between the two budgets and what both are looking for in a safari.There will be some compromises on both ends.

1.Our own area in the Waterberg Mountains of South Africa.Good quality animals and accommodations with the species you are looking for.
2.We have a concession on a beautiful big reserve with 4 of the the big 5 and all the species you are looking for in SA.
3.Our area in Southern Mozambique good quality permanent tents and excellent plains game but the cost is up for what you will get in SA.

You are most welcome to contact me to discuss the various options.I am sure we can work out a solution.
Regards

Rouan

I would arrange my own hunt, and if it was possible to travel together probably do that and then part ways at the airport. It is kind of a drag traveling alone.

Good Day Sir

Tsala Hunting Safari’s have a few options for you to consider.The issue the difference between the two budgets and what both are looking for in a safari.There will be some compromises on both ends.

1.Our own area in the Waterberg Mountains of South Africa.Good quality animals and accommodations with the species you are looking for.
2.We have a concession on a beautiful big reserve with 4 of the the big 5 and all the species you are looking for in SA.
3.Our area in Southern Mozambique good quality permanent tents and excellent plains game but the cost is up for what you will get in SA.

You are most welcome to contact me to discuss the various options.I am sure we can work out a solution.
Regards

Rouan
Awesome experience! I recommend them highly!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailca1r

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)