What is the purpose of carrying a knife out in a safari..

Rookhawk-I have received more than my fair share of answers, the way the subject has transcended and continue to evolve I need to think twice before posing another question.. :D
On the contrary, you should continue to ask questions - the more controversial the better. Who could have imagined the range of answers and the degree to which certain individuals would consider a knife as pretentious.

Your question was, "What is the purpose of carrying a knife out in a safari?"

The operational answer would be, the same as any other place - to cut something should the need arise.

As you state, the subject morphed rapidly to a more philosophical, "What is the point of carrying a knife out on safari?"

While the questions approach from different perspectives, the answer remains the same - to cut something should the need arise; only now the question becomes - do you want to use your knife or one belonging to someone else?

It was at this point in your thread where the focus on draining the swamp gave way to being up to one's ass in alligators.

This is a forum, comprised of hunters - of various ages, experiences, backgrounds, etc, be they professional or amateur they share a common passion for hunting and their opinions are as many as their number. Pose a question and you get fact, opinion, or a combination of both.

You asked a question which generated a lot of opinions.

Not to be left out, here's mine:

If you don't want to carry one - don't
If you can't think of a reason to need one - don't bring one
If you're comfortable asking to borrow one - borrow one

Your post mentioned weight, if the weight of a small knife on your belt is make it or break it - put it in your pack and let one of the guys carry it.

If your rifle gets too heavy - let one of the guys carry it. Personally, I NEVER let someone carry my primary rifle, they carry my backup but I never go empty handed.

Yes - I carry a knife, several to be precise. I carry at least one Arno Bernard on my belt and a folding knife in my pocket. In my bag, I have 2 Arno Bernard skinning knives and a swiss army knife. I also keep a small sharpening stone in my bag.

If you like - PM me and I'll give you a list of everything I carry in my bag. Or, post the question on the forum and see what kind of a response you get - could be fun, and informative.

Do the skinners hold a position of status - yes. Are the skinners equipped with good quality knives - not always. Do the skinners appreciate the assistance of a hunter who spent time breaking beef in his uncle's butcher shop, when it's dark, there's several cape buffalo on the ground, and we're trying to get as much as we can loaded into makoros (canoes) and get the hell out of there before the lions show up - do I need to give you the answer?

Most of the time, I simply loan my skinning knives to the skinners, and sit back and enjoy a cigar.

I can't imagine having to ask to borrow a knife to cut the tails off any of the elephants I've taken, or for any other purpose for that matter.

What you choose to carry or not carry rests solely with you, and extends to more than just a knife.

Attachments

• IMG_2212.jpeg
    6.5 MB · Views: 39
On the contrary, you should continue to ask questions - the more controversial the better. Who could have imagined the range of answers and the degree to which certain individuals would consider a knife as pretentious.

Your question was, "What is the purpose of carrying a knife out in a safari?"

The operational answer would be, the same as any other place - to cut something should the need arise.

As you state, the subject morphed rapidly to a more philosophical, "What is the point of carrying a knife out on safari?"

While the questions approach from different perspectives, the answer remains the same - to cut something should the need arise; only now the question becomes - do you want to use your knife or one belonging to someone else?

It was at this point in your thread where the focus on draining the swamp gave way to being up to one's ass in alligators.

This is a forum, comprised of hunters - of various ages, experiences, backgrounds, etc, be they professional or amateur they share a common passion for hunting and their opinions are as many as their number. Pose a question and you get fact, opinion, or a combination of both.

You asked a question which generated a lot of opinions.

Not to be left out, here's mine:

If you don't want to carry one - don't
If you can't think of a reason to need one - don't bring one
If you're comfortable asking to borrow one - borrow one

Your post mentioned weight, if the weight of a small knife on your belt is make it or break it - put it in your pack and let one of the guys carry it.

If your rifle gets too heavy - let one of the guys carry it. Personally, I NEVER let someone carry my primary rifle, they carry my backup but I never go empty handed.

Yes - I carry a knife, several to be precise. I carry at least one Arno Bernard on my belt and a folding knife in my pocket. In my bag, I have 2 Arno Bernard skinning knives and a swiss army knife. I also keep a small sharpening stone in my bag.

If you like - PM me and I'll give you a list of everything I carry in my bag. Or, post the question on the forum and see what kind of a response you get - could be fun, and informative.

Do the skinners hold a position of status - yes. Are the skinners equipped with good quality knives - not always. Do the skinners appreciate the assistance of a hunter who spent time breaking beef in his uncle's butcher shop, when it's dark, there's several cape buffalo on the ground, and we're trying to get as much as we can loaded into makoros (canoes) and get the hell out of there before the lions show up - do I need to give you the answer?

Most of the time, I simply loan my skinning knives to the skinners, and sit back and enjoy a cigar.

I can't imagine having to ask to borrow a knife to cut the tails off any of the elephants I've taken, or for any other purpose for that matter.

What you choose to carry or not carry rests solely with you, and extends to more than just a knife.
Very well enumerated, all of you knife carriers just talked me into carrying a proper fixed blade knife. Murphy’s law holds true ..

Why a knife on guided safari?
1. To cut something.
2. To look good.
3. To clean the fish, if you do tiger fishing.
4. To paraphrase, on a guided hunt, most probably you wont need a knife, but if you do, you will need it very badly.

While I typically don’t reply to many messages, thought I may actually have something that may be of benefit to a first timer. I most always have a gun on my person but do definitely always have a knife of some sort. Yes, it is good to travel lite when in the bush but not having a good sharp blade isn’t something to sacrifice to accomplish that goal. I have used mine to remove thorns from various body parts, cut boot laces, cut limbs to cover an Eland, build a blind, and the list goes on. Also had to quarter a Kudu for transport off a mountain when a young PH had no knife. He did have a Glock 9mm which he used to finish my wife’s warthog after a bad shot but no knife when he needed one. While most outfitters make sure you are taken care of in all aspects including a quality PH; it shouldn’t hamper your ability to keep up with your trackers by having a good sharp blade on your belt or in your pack. You may make several trips and never use it but when there is a need you will be glad it’s there.

I feel naked without a knife on my belt.

I'm very similar in this. It's like something is missing all the time if you don't have it.
When i go to the UK a few times yearly it feels weird to not have it.

Also... what if your knife gets lonely when left behind?

I carry a knife everyday at home in Ontario and in Arizona, and every day when I was in Africa. When I put on my pants the first thing in the pocket is my knife. When I leave the house, KNIFE, phone, wallet, keys. Even diving I carry a knife!

Try living in Africa without a wallet and cash, and the leatherman. We obviously live in two worlds…
Depends where in Africa?
I would prefer not to carry cash except maybe couple hundred rands in any big city in SA where you can get robbed anywhere and plastic works.
My son is a resident in SA and he carries not only a knife but serious firepower in urban areas where the real danger lies.
In a guided safari in the bush we both carry fixed blade knives to look cool. :)

Last edited:
I don't wear a knife here, even when hunting,* so would be kinda fakey if I strapped one on in Africa. While wearing a knife might be "normal" behavior out in public when in Montana, it would certainly raise eyebrows here. I'm no sheep for sure but also don't want people thinking I'm some kind of prepper nut. Maybe I wear camo to the store but that's as far as I will go.

A couple years ago when Christmas shopping in my wading jacket, a little girl asked me if I was a Duck Commander. My daughter chuckled but I didn't think it was funny.
"Maybe I should shave?"
"No, Dad! I remember you without whiskers. It ain't pretty. Perhaps consider a wardrobe change?"
"Like what?"
"Oh, I dunno. Maybe something with rainbow colors?"
"Grrr!"
Stereotypes can be problematic.

*Sheath knife is in my daypack when hunting big game.

Think im going to start a new trend ill carry a big fork:LOL:
and a big spoon just incase things get really nasty o_O

Depends where in Africa?
I would prefer not to carry cash except maybe couple hundred rands in any big city in SA where you can get robbed anywhere and plastic works.
My son is a resident in SA and he carries not only a knife but serious firepower in urban areas where the real danger lies.
In a guided safari in the bush we both carry fixed blade knives to look cool. :)
sounds scary...so in bigger cities it is not uncommon to see people carrying guns? AK-47 maybe

sounds scary...so in bigger cities it is not uncommon to see people carrying guns? AK-47 maybe
Not AK 47's.. but something concealed.
Think in the lines of HK MP7... or in many cases handguns.

Not AK 47's.. but something concealed.
Think in the lines of HK MP7... or in many cases handguns.
MP7 full auto that can do some serious damage.I'm staying away from big cities, no questions asked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AundreaMet

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Bill J H wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Do you still have this rifle? I'm in the KC area on business and I'm very interested.
Safari Dave wrote on CoElkHunter's profile.
I didn't get drawn for Wyoming this year.

Are you planning to hunt Unit 4 this fall?

(Thinking about coming out)
another great review

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.