What’s your spookiest hunting experience?

BillSpe

Reaction score
What is your spookiest hunting experience whether in Africa or anywhere in the world?

I'll start with mine. With all the experience on this forum, it amounts to just novice's tale.

I was in Timbavati Nature Reserve in October of 2021, during height of Covid. Our base was a well-appointed bush camp, but I needed to conduct an internet-monitored Covid test in order to make my connection in Johannesburg to fly back to the US. There was WiFi internet available at the Timbavati lodge / museum about 30-minute drive from our bush camp.

At about 8pm, my guide drove his Landcruiser seated in the cab with the Timbavati game warden, who always accompanied us, and I was seated up top on a raised exterior seat. It was a warm, windless October night and pitch black, other than the stars and the headlights. I was enjoying the stars and sounds of the African bush at night. As we topped a rise a half mile or so from the lodge, half a dozen sets of yellow eyes glowed in the headlights. The guide slows the truck to a stop, rolls down his window and calmly invites me into the cab. He did not have to ask twice.

I jumped in the cab squeezing the warden into the middle. At which point, the eyes approach in unison and emerging in the beam of the headlights trots 6 adult lions, one with quite an impressive mane. They approach slowly like a hunting party. After briefly surrounding the vehicle, three of them turn around and disappear into the dark and the other three proceed to lay down on the road, as seen in the attached picture.

We enjoyed watching the three for a few minutes at close range, I snapping pictures, while the guide and game warden marvel at how odd that so many lions should be hanging out on the road at night. When it was clear the lions were not moving, the guide gently tooted the horn and they moved enough that he could slowly and carefully wind around them. The three lions remained laid out calmly along side the road.

We continued to drive to the lodge which was now in view, perhaps 500 yards away, and we approached the perimeter electrified fence, which was at least 12 feet high with a vehicle gate. Naturally, the gate is kept closed as Timbavati is adjacent, really an extension of, as no fence separates it, to the entire Kruger National Park. The fence was woven steel so you could not see through it and it blocked the light from inside. There was a light post at that gate, but outside, say, a 30 foot circle, the immediate area around the fence was dark.

Being the last in the cab, it made sense that I jumped out of the truck to open the gate. I had already done it once during day light. This time it was different because a few surprises happened in quick succession. I opened the gate to discover a warden's truck parked just inside the gate loaded with dead impalas, perhaps from a management cull or some accident. We could not pull our truck in. Second, I noticed there was a splash line of blood, forming something of a chum line, from the dead impalas that had dripped along the road. Some blood pooled near where I was standing to open the gate. I realized it was the scent of the blood that attracted the lions to the road. As this is coming together in my mind, some large animal stirred in the brush not far from us, but out in the darkness. Could it be one or all three of the lions that had disappeared in the darkness heading towards the lodge maybe 10 minutes earlier? Was I the only living thing between the lions and what amounted to a buffet of impalas? My impulse was to immediately jump back in the truck, then after taking two quick strides in that direction, I realized I needed to close the gate, so I high-tailed it inside the lodge fence. I am not ashamed to admit I pulled the gate shut behind me with some enthusiasm. I'll note, the warden slammed the car door which I left ajar with similar enthusiasm. Then I called for someone to please move the truck, which took a few minutes. I called out again to the guide and the warden in the truck outside to confirm there were no lions about. I reopened the gate, just enough for him to pull in and then I again promptly shut the gate. The rest of the evening passed uneventfully with no sight or sounds of lions.

Fortunately, the internet-monitored Covid test turned out negative. I am grateful the option was available. I was able to move efficiently through Johannesburg airport the next day showing my iPhone app that I had passed a Covid test within three days of flying despite spending more than 10 days "in the veld."

What is your spookiest story?

Lions in Timbavati.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not have a long story to share. Or rather I am not going to make mine long. I have two, that people usually respond to as spooky, when I tell them.

A lifetime ago, during one of my first years in Alaska, a VSPS friend of mine shot a black bear on the side of a mountain. It high-tailed it downhill, into the alders. We gave chase. My tracking skills were far superior to his, so I was often on my hands and needs looking for blood, while he watched our backs - it was dense enough to make moving around a rifle barrel impossible.

We never did catch up with the black bear; in fact, we saw it later seemingly no worse for the wear. On the way back to our ATVs, we discovered there had been a brown bear making its way down the slope; we followed its tracks/sign and discovered it had entered the alders in the same place as us, and had been following us. We never did see it.

Second story was in Kansas. I was turkey hunting after a hard rain, so my movements were dead quiet. I set up on an alfalfa field. There were no trees of any size to lean against so I selected a small hackberry tree and hunkered down and began calling. About 15 minutes in I got this odd sensation I was being watched. Swiveling my head around, I couldn't see anything... but boy the feeling was strong. I told myself I was being silly and went back to calling. About ten minutes after that I got slammed hard from behind. A bobcat jumped on my back and head. Piecing it together after, I don't think he knew I was there. I think he was using me as a springboard and planned on attacking one of my decoys. He skee-daddled quickly when I moved. I wound up with some pretty good sized scratched on my head and shoulder blade/back from his claws. I thought it was a super cool experience - I mean, how wild is that? Most folks say they'd have had the crap scared out of them. It happened so fast there wasn't time.

When you hunt dangerous game for as long as I've been doing, a few spooky experiences do occur now and then.

All three of my hunts for man eating Royal Bengal tigers were incredibly hair-raising experiences. But the first one in 1981 was (without a doubt) the spookiest. In short:
I was inside a tiny hut at a fish farm with one of my forest guards. He was carrying a six cell torchlight and I was carrying a 12 gauge shotgun. We were waiting to ambush the man eater when he was to return to feed at a temporarily abandoned natural kill (a dead bullock). The tiger came at roughly 9 PM, the forest guard focused the torchlight and I fired. He started circling the hut and we could hear him, but we couldn't see him. At around 11PM, it started to rain. Now we started really getting terrified, because we could no longer hear him. Rain stopped at around 12:30AM and everything was silent. At around 4AM, we could hear something very heavy swimming away from us through the nearby canal. In the morning, the rest of my men came to assist us. We found the man eater dead on the other side of the canal, right where the forest's edge was. He had been circling our hut for seven hours upon getting shot before trying to escape into the forest by swimming across the 100 yard canal. He successfully crossed the canal, but expired right before he could enter the forest.
1709012683568.png

M E 2.jpeg

M E 3.jpeg

My hunt for a Seladang bison bull in 1978 was also incredibly spooky. In short:
I shot him through the left lung and heart with a .30-06 Springfield. He made off into some thick forest. Me and the trackers began to follow the trail of frothy blood. I could hear the twigs snapping and the sounds of heavy hoofs, but I couldn't actually see the Seladang (which made things even more scary). Once every now and then, we were coming across gigantic pools of frothy blood. After coming across the fifth pool, I suddenly realized that the blood pools were being formed whenever the bison was lying down and reeling from the bullet wound. He was getting up and moving away whenever he was hearing us draw closer to him. The spoor also indicated that he was circling us in a cunning attempt to ambush us. I turned around to share my observations with my trackers, only to realize that I was completely alone. There was nobody behind me. The trackers had abandoned me and fled for their lives. I don't blame them one bit. At that moment, I ran like a coward for my life too. This particular Seladang had been quite irate and had previously gored four local villagers to death. Anyway, I regrouped with my trackers and actually decided to give up pursuit... declaring my hunt to have been a failure. One tracker (who initially abandoned me) eventually came through and showed immense courage, declaring that I was a guest in their land and should not have travelled so far in order to return empty handed. He took the .30-06 Springfield from my hands and told me to wait at the foot of the hills with the rest of my envoy. He went off into the forest alone, in order to pursue the wounded Seladang. Five hours later, he came down from the hills and told me that he had found the bison dead.
Seladang.jpeg

Last edited:
Shot at by nine terrorists with AK47s and then chased by them for 10km in the Central African Republic in 2016. Luckily, got my bongo three days earlier. Spooky is an understatement. Every day is a gift.

Threatened with a rifle to my head.

While rabbit hunting with friends as a kid. Early teens 13-14 maybe.

I worked on my friends farm. Back then we had many places to hunt birds and small game. There were not many deer.

We were hunting one of our many places when this angry, crazy old man jumped me, screaming about us trespassing. My friends came over and this nut put the rifle to my head telling us all if we came back he would shoot us.

It was not his land. But apparently he thought everything near him was his. And everyone knew he was a little off. We told my friends parents. And we got yelled at for going near his place. No police were called.

We didn’t hunt there till years later and were more prepared if he returned. Luckily, for him and us he didn’t jump us again.

My hunt for a Seladang bison bull in 1978 was also incredibly spooky. In short:
I shot him through the left lung and heart with a .30-06 Springfield. He made off into some thick forest. Me and the trackers began to follow the trail of frothy blood. I could hear the twigs snapping and the sounds of heavy hoofs, but I couldn't actually see the Seladang (which made things even more scary). Once every now and then, we were coming across gigantic pools of frothy blood. After coming across the fifth pool, I suddenly realized that the blood pools were being formed whenever the bison was lying down and reeling from the bullet wound. He was getting up and moving away whenever he was hearing us draw closer to him. The spoor also indicated that he was circling us in a cunning attempt to ambush us. I turned around to share my observations with my trackers, only to realize that I was completely alone. There was nobody behind me. The trackers had abandoned me and fled for their lives. I don't blame them one bit. At that moment, I ran like a coward for my life too. This particular Seladang had been quite irate and had previously gored four local villagers to death. Anyway, I regrouped with my trackers and actually decided to give up pursuit... declaring my hunt to have been a failure. One tracker (who initially abandoned me) eventually came through and showed immense courage, declaring that I was a guest in their land and should not have travelled so far in order to return empty handed. He took the .30-06 Springfield from my hands and told me to wait at the foot of the hills with the rest of my envoy. He went off into the forest alone, in order to pursue the wounded Seladang. Five hours later, he came down from the hills and told me that he had found the bison dead.
View attachment 589729
Hunter great Tiger & Seladang hunting stories, truly a lost time now !

Is this a picture of your Seladang/Gaur from the story ?

I was hunting deer along a beaver pond bordered by mixed hemlock and maple trees during a November rain, sleet and snow storm. I decided to take a seat under a hemlock to watch a deer trail along the edge of the beaver pond. I had been sitting for about 10 minutes when something fell onto my hat. A few minutes later it happened again. I looked up above my head and 2 sets of branches above my head was a bobcat looking down at me through his paws. Now 2 sets of branches on that tree was about 6 feet. I slowly moved my shotgun to point up and slide to my left getting out from under the tree. I decided to find another vantage point and leave that one to the cat. When I finally move on an hour or so later the bobcat was still in the tree nice and dry out of the weather. Closest I ever came to a live bobcat.

It was rifle season in North Carolina about ten years ago. I was walking back to the house one evening after an unsuccessful deer hunt on my family's land. As I listened to some dogs barking in the distance, I suddenly realized why they were so agitated. Barely audible over the sound of the dogs, a voice was crying, "Help me! Oh, God, somebody help me!"

As the voice sounded young, I initially feared that my best friend had fallen out of his tree stand. I high-tailed it to the house and told my father what I had heard. He and I went to see my friend's father, who told us to my relief that my friend was home and had not even been hunting that day.

My father and I drove around the area, asking other hunters who were returning to their trucks if they had heard anything. No one had. Afterward, there were no reports of anyone dying or going missing in the area, but to this day I wonder what happened. Was someone injured and eventually rescued? Did any of my neighbors believe me? Did I imagine the voice amidst all the barking?

As I have grown more familiar with the folklore of the mountains, I sometimes even wonder if someone (or something) was trying to lure a well-meaning hunter deeper into the woods that evening.

Several years ago my then-four year old was bothering me about taking her hunting so I took her with me to a ground blind I had set up not far from my house. As little girls are apt to do, she talked and wiggled the whole time so I knew the hunt was a bust and wasn’t upset when she said she was ready to leave when it just started to get dark. The whole way back out to the truck I had the weirdest sensation of being watched and could’ve sworn I heard something following us in the woods. I chocked it up to a stray dog at worst.

My trail camera showed less than an hour later a rather large black bear absolutely destroying my ground blind and everything in it. I have no doubt the feeling I got and the sounds I heard were that same black bear. It would spook me much less if my daughter hadn’t been with me that day.

Walking in the pitch black I heard a bear exhale, a low guttural exhale, you know your close when lol

Sitting in a pop up tent hunting, everything quiet, relaxed, no wind taking in the scenery and enjoying the moment when a squirrel jumped on the tent

Chances are I jumped a little higher with that squirrel but the butt pucker factor was with that close encounter with a bear

Hunting down the coast out of Valdez, I shot a black bear in an avalanche chute. The shot triggered the breaking of an ice dam at the top of the chute which sent a wall of water, ice and boulders hurtling down the mountain at us. It smashed into the creek bed about 100 yards to our left.

It was May in the mid 1980's, in Ontario. I was hunting black bear, and was told not to leave the place I was sitting, the guide would pick me up. It didn't get dark until near 10:00 pm, but I was still sitting there in the dark after 11:00 pm. I hear slow foot steps behind me, and then they would stop. Whatever it was would start slowly walking again, and then stop! I decided that if "it" came any closer, I'd count 3, whirl around with my rifle and flashlight, and be prepared to shoot instantly! Of course "it" started coming closer! I counted to 3, in one quick motion, I whirl around with my rifle flipping my flashlight on and it was a.... good size Porcupine! It looked at me, climbed a tree to a sturdy branch, and went to sleep. At about 11:30, the guide showed up, my hunting partner on that trip had taken a nice, black bear. I was happy for him, and very happy for myself. I hadn't gotten attacked, and eaten by "it"!

Potentially, over a lot of years and opportunities, maybe remote tent camping with big bears in AK. But in reality two incidents come to mind. Either a Super Cub in extreme turbulence over upper Nabesna, Wrangell Mtns in AK or similarly in a Twin Otter in extreme turbulence between Kodiak and Kenai AK. That's as close to an unplanned barrel roll in a Twin Otter as I ever want to be. Or driving at night between Lusaka Zambia and the Upper Luangwa.

Last edited:
Shot at by nine terrorists with AK47s and then chased by them for 10km in the Central African Republic in 2016. Luckily, got my bongo three days earlier. Spooky is an understatement. Every day is a gift.
Glad your still with us that’s one wild story.

In 2015 I was hunting for Spotted Hyena in Namibia. We hung a Baboon carcass I had shot earlier about 100 yards from an elevated blind. My P dropped me off at the blind and drove the truck out of sight about 400 yards away. Minutes later a shot rang out. A hyena had followed my PH in the truck and approached to within 6 YARDS . Luckily he packs a .44 Magnum and shot it a 6 yards to end our Hyena hunt.

I was turkey hunting one morning on our land more than a mile from an exterior line. And heard a man yelping about 100 yards in front of me. I could hear sticks breaking and god awful yelping. He continued on as I called the game warden. Marked it on the map and went back to meet the warden on the public road he had to have come from. After meeting the warden we were headed back to go find the guy and a small red truck passed us on the way and the warden said “ that’s your guy”. Turns out this guy was between his conviction and starting His jail sentence for manufacturing and distributing crystal meth. Had been arrested with multiple kilos of the stuff and they think he had buried some he was retrieving on the property. To get money for his lawyer or wife before he headed off to prison. Glad we didn’t have a face to face a couple miles from pavement that day.

Not sure the spookiest, but just about the damnedest. I was bow hunting on Fort Meade, Maryland in 2000. It was a slow evening, with maybe an hour until dark, when pretty far off I heard a very faint long drawn out "help." It was repeated several times. I was hunting a bottom full of extremely tall and mature oaks with occasional old growth pines. The pines were remarkably straight trunked, and limbs often didn't begin until thirty or more feet above the ground.

Heading in the direction I heard the cry, I shouted several times to let him know help was on the way. It took a full quarter hour to get there, and it is remarkable I was able to hear him at all. I am sure the terrain, and perhaps his position, aided the acoustics.

In any case, he had decided to use one of the pines for a stand and had climbed it with a climbing stand. He was a good 30 feet off the ground. Apparently, after turning around to face away from the tree and sitting he had tilted the bottom section and it at fallen to the ground. No he had not tied them together. He was left sitting facing out from the tree with his feet dangling in the air two plus stories off the ground. :oops:

Fortunately, I too was using a climbing stand - tied together. I removed his from the tree, used my bow rope to tie it to mine, and climbed up just below him. I reattached the lower section to the tree above my head, and then scooted back down before he dropped it again. All ended well, and he managed to turn around and get back down the tree. I suggest 10 or 12 feet would be plenty in the future. Had I not heard him, he would have spent at least a very long night up there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mgmakeovers

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Safari Dave wrote on CoElkHunter's profile.
I didn't get drawn for Wyoming this year.

Are you planning to hunt Unit 4 this fall?

(Thinking about coming out)
EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.
sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone
We fitted a new backup generator for the Wildgoose lodge!