Welcome to South Africa…

If a SA tourist went to any USA / European city and did not know how to use a GPS and ended up in the wrong area, which Nyanga certainly is, the same would probably have happened... Feel for the tourist, we would want all of SA to be safe and we certainly have a lot of issues...

Well, if that had happened here in Chicago, D.C. or several other leftist cities where violent crime is out of control, it may not even had made the news because it happens so frequently.

If a SA tourist went to any USA / European city and did not know how to use a GPS and ended up in the wrong area, which Nyanga certainly is, the same would probably have happened...
Well, it wouldn’t happen in Europe, that’s for sure. On the other hand in South Africa it can happen anywhere. I’m a German, South African permanent resident for forty years.

Well, it wouldn’t happen in Europe, that’s for sure. On the other hand in South Africa it can happen anywhere. I’m a German, South African permanent resident for forty years.
Please if you feel South Africa is so unsafe why don't you go back to Germany.
It can happen anywhere in the world especially if you are in the wrong areas.

Being negative never resolves anything.

Violence can happen anywhere. (It happens in Europe, Asia, north/south America, Africa etc)

A person just needs to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. and a predator will take advantage of them. Be it with a firearm, blade of blunt object, fists. It is a manner of being street smart and staying out of parts of town that has a higher percentage of a traveler falling into a bad situation.

Sounds like one of the thousands if not millions of naive Americans who go abroad thinking the rest of the world is like the United States. "Hey, I'll just use my phone to reach my destination". But, hey, it was the shortest way! SMH

Last edited:

It wouldn’t happen in Europe???

While there may be less incidents in most of Europe.. people are victims of violent criminal attacks every day in Europe…some of them horrific…

Every bad neighborhood is a dangerous place for anyone, and every country in the world has them, some more than others.

I am still glad that the incident was reported. People have a right to know what to expect. OTOH, no one covers up deaths like the state of Hawaii--for example, there are about 150 drownings per year on the island of Kawaii alone, and a bunch of people killed falling while on the hiking trails. Doesn't help tourism to widely broadcast such stats, but people should be fore-warned IMO.
I believe it to be dangerous not to update the crime status of Cape Town, because many people may be under the impression that it has always been a safe city. I for one, was shocked to read of how seedy areas can be these days.

Guys. To act like South Africa is not dangerous is a little disingenuous. Yes, things can happen in the US. And, SA is a dangerous dangerous place .

No one is saying SA isn’t dangerous…

What’s being said is the entire planet can be dangerous… especially so when you do things like drive through high crime areas that you’re unfamiliar with like this guy did in Cape Town…

I can assure you that there are neighborhoods in Chicago just as dangerous as any township in SA…

There just happen to be more “safe” places overall in the US than there are in SA…

Tourists are victims of violent crime every single day in the US… criminals are at their core predators… a tourist running around with a wallet full of cash, oblivious to their surroundings… look very much like prey…

No one is saying SA isn’t dangerous…

What’s being said is the entire planet can be dangerous… especially so when you do things like drive through high crime areas that you’re unfamiliar with like this guy did in Cape Town…

I can assure you that there are neighborhoods in Chicago just as dangerous as any township in SA…

There just happen to be more “safe” places overall in the US than there are in SA…

Tourists are victims of violent crime every single day in the US… criminals are at their core predators… a tourist running around with a wallet full of cash, oblivious to their surroundings… look very much like prey…
A neighbor is formerly from Chicago....I asked him the other day if I could see his shell collection. When he replied that there weren't actually sea shells in Lake Michigan, I told him: "no, I meant the .22, 9mm, 45 cal., AK and other shells", lol.

Yes, South Africa is dangerous. Baltimore City is dangerous. Europe is dangerous. As a 21 year Retired Military Vet... Guess what... the world is dangerous.

Back when I was a ranger with the Park Service there was only one interpretive program where the ranger was armed: the historic above ground cemetery in New Orleans ... with nearby housing project. Even at Brooks Camp in Alaska where over eighty grizzlies were around camp, interp rangers were not armed. I think the shotgun only came out of the closet once in five months I worked there and that was to put a badly mauled subadult out of its misery.

I had to chuckle at a freshly painted mural in the corridor at Joberg Airport back in 2020. First one showed tourists at Kruger Park in the bus viewing elephants, lions, etc. Nice. Next corridor has a mural of a young white couple, obviously European, bicycle touring THE TOWNSHIPS! I kid you not. Surely others on here saw it. I told my PH about it when he came to pick me up and he about had a cow. "That's NUTS! Someone is gonna get hurt." I wanted to take a picture but by the time I returned two years later ALL those murals were painted over plain forest green.

Today's STEP email from the State Department:

Updated to reflect safety consideration when using GPS navigation.

Exercise increased caution in South Africa due tocrimeandcivil unrest.

Country Summary:Violent crime, such as armed robbery, rape, carjacking, mugging, and "smash-and-grab" attacks on vehicles, is common. There is a higher risk of violent crime in the central business districts of major cities after dark.

Using GPS navigation can lead to unsafe routes. GPS navigation may suggest shortcuts through townshipsas the quickest preferred route but can lead to increased risks of crime.

Demonstrations, protests, and strikes occur frequently. These can develop quickly without prior notification, often interrupting traffic, transportation, and other services; such events have the potential to turn violent.

Please see ourAlertsfor up-to-date information.

Read thecountry information pagefor additional information on travel to South Africa.

If you decide to travel to South Africa:

• Investigate Research your route in advance, stay on major highways, avoid shortcuts through townships, and avoid reliance on GPS navigation apps. When driving on city roads, the shortest and fastest route may not be the safest.

For example: The safest approach to return a rental car to Cape Town International Airport is to take the N2 highway and follow signs to Airport Approach Rd (exit 16). Alternatively, request the rental car company to collect your vehicle and subsequently arrange an airport transfer from established taxi companies or established ridesharing services to reach the airport.

Today's STEP email from the State Department:

Updated to reflect safety consideration when using GPS navigation.

Exercise increased caution in South Africa due tocrimeandcivil unrest.

Country Summary:Violent crime, such as armed robbery, rape, carjacking, mugging, and "smash-and-grab" attacks on vehicles, is common. There is a higher risk of violent crime in the central business districts of major cities after dark.

Using GPS navigation can lead to unsafe routes. GPS navigation may suggest shortcuts through townshipsas the quickest preferred route but can lead to increased risks of crime.

Demonstrations, protests, and strikes occur frequently. These can develop quickly without prior notification, often interrupting traffic, transportation, and other services; such events have the potential to turn violent.

Please see ourAlertsfor up-to-date information.

Read thecountry information pagefor additional information on travel to South Africa.

If you decide to travel to South Africa:

• Investigate Research your route in advance, stay on major highways, avoid shortcuts through townships, and avoid reliance on GPS navigation apps. When driving on city roads, the shortest and fastest route may not be the safest.

For example: The safest approach to return a rental car to Cape Town International Airport is to take the N2 highway and follow signs to Airport Approach Rd (exit 16). Alternatively, request the rental car company to collect your vehicle and subsequently arrange an airport transfer from established taxi companies or established ridesharing services to reach the airport.

Well, that sounds scary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DanielSide

Latest profile posts

Safari Dave wrote on CoElkHunter's profile.
I didn't get drawn for Wyoming this year.

Are you planning to hunt Unit 4 this fall?

(Thinking about coming out)
another great review

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.
sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone