Using mill surplus ammo for hunting rifle

For corrosive ammo: Wet a cleaning patch or two with soapy water and run through the bore before the regular cleaning process. Wipe off the bolt face, too.

Or If available, use "Windex with Ammonia". I used to keep a small amount of this in my range bag for the corrosive 8mm Mauser surplus I used to shoot. Never an issue, but do it the same day.

True
I also shoot black powder. (corrosive)
So, to clean a gun, I disassemble all parts to last screw, and dump the steel parts to soapy hot water. As hot as possible, as later will dry faster.

After cleaning in the water, I dry the parts, and then apply gun oil.
It is kept as new after years of use.

Water dissolves any and all salts, of corrosive chemicals.

Cutting the nose of FMJ bullet is arguably hazadrous thing.
The hazard is that if cut off the tip too much, lead may pass through leaving the jacket in the barrel.
then next bullet will jam, and gun can explode.
Thats the risk.

I know a guy, who makes on metal plate 4 mm holes, puts the bullet tip through the hole, and grinds away the tip that sticks out. In this way at least the bullets are of similar shape and size. But, the above risk still remains

Another method is to reload the bullets with back side front, and fmj tip seated backwards. Up to 100 meters, accuracy should be sufficent for hunting.

Now disclaimer.
All above is not recommended and don't do it, you may cause harm or injury to yourself or others.
So long as you’re above the curve of the bullet head you’re fine imo. From the pics that you have posted of the holes that you have drilled your ok.
If you come further down the bullet head to where the lands and groves engage then yes you may end up with the above problem.

I like the idea of setting up a jig and then grinding a small portion of the nose off of the bullet, you would just need to expose the core or stop just before it.

I like the idea of setting up a jig and then grinding a small portion of the nose off of the bullet, you would just need to expose the core or stop just before it.
I filed it manually then used a drill to make it hallow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailca1r

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)