Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Asia/M.East
Member of
Life Member of SCI, DSC, GSCO, HSC, NRA and FNAWS
Hunted
Botswana, Cameroon, CAR, Chad, Ethiopia, Mozambique, Namibia, RSA, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe. US, Canada, Arctic, Mexico, Argentina, Austria, France, Spain, Portugal, U.K., Romania, Tadjikistan, Turkey, Nepal, China, Australia and New Zealand
I am about to turn 60 and for once in my life, the species hunted from my adventures past will all be housed in one building. The plan started formulating in mid 2022 after I purchased the Reserve Ranch in South Texas as this would be the appropriate place to display the collection. I have been very Blessed to hunt some amazing places over the past five decades and look forward to reminiscing about the past with family, friends and guests at the ranch.

My friend Gustavo Arredondo from San Antonio is a gifted architect, and he designed the addition to flow into the current construction of the lodge compound so not to look like an afterthought. Gustavo specializes in designing trophy rooms as well as houses built around trophy rooms and has worked with Julian and Sons over the years on many projects across the United States.

I'll post some pictures as the project progresses; the plan is to be finished by August.

After the site work was completed, we poured the foundation in late August.
IMG_2142.jpeg

IMG_2146.jpeg
IMG_2147.jpeg

Once the concrete cured the framers started and made good time.
IMG_2717.jpeg
IMG_2719.jpeg
IMG_2480.jpeg

Then it took a turn for the worse. A freak storm out of the Northeast late one afternoon at the end of September and we were set back. Two of the walls blown down and a half dozen roof trusses ruined.
IMG_2585.jpeg
IMG_5221.jpeg
IMG_5222.jpeg

Just like a great hunt report, love living vicariously through your project! Keep posting!

Bummer on the walls blowing down during the storm, I imagine you are well on the way towards completion though by now. That looks like it will be one big trophy room! Can't wait to see more and as Mort said, it is almost as exciting as building my own!

Thank you for sharing. Perservere through the hiccups. Looking forward to enjoying the journey with you. John

Following with interest. Sorry to see the storm damage.

Now that’s a proper Trophy “Room”!!
What’s the finished square footage??

This is superb!

I built mine before I ever went to Africa, and it is now, way too small.

I am having to cull smaller stuff to make room for larger trophies. At least I have a "hobby room" upstairs, to put things that have to be purged from "The Trophy Room" aka "my study", downstairs.

I built my house 24 years ago, and the Good Lord has blessed me with many wonderful opportunities since.

I don't think I will ever move again, but if I have to, the "Trophy Room/Study" will grow significantly.

John,

Congratulations on your purchase and construction of your trophy room. We just bought a property south of Tyler, we close this Tuesday, meeting with a builder Wednesday to discuss location/construction of my trophy room.

May I ask why you chose wood vs steel?

What additions are you planning? I am adding wet bar, walk in humidor, and gun vault.

This is going to be neat and something to be seen very nice of you sharing this.

Looks like quite the trophy room. I’m curious, why wood framing?
I went with wood framing as the existing structure I tied in to (four car garage) was wood frame so wanted to maintain the consistency.

Do you have any aerial photos of the site or footprint? Is your design finished or are you working through any details?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JonathanG

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.