To Sling or not to Sling a Dangerous Game Rifle, That is the Question

BC Tal

AH member
Reaction score
Well, at least it's my question. Or more precisely, does anyone intentionally not have a sling on their DG rifle, to keep it clean and reduce potential snagging, especially when shooting off sticks? I've seen a couple of vids where guys get their sling hung up on the sticks and it costs time, even if a fraction of a sec, to get that second sight picture and I can imagine throws them off just a bit.
We're starting training with the rifles and sticks just after Christmas, so I'll come to my own conclusion, but just wondering what the brain trust thinks.

I dont have a sling on my DG rifle.. but.. for me, I think the situation dictates..

If we're talking about hunting a cape buffalo on a 10,000 acre property in South Africa.. where you are likely going to be in a truck for most of the day, then dismount, and maybe walk somewhere between a few hundred yards and several hundred yards once your target buffalo is spotted.. Im not sure a sling is necessary (not for me at least)..

If we're talking about spending the better part of the entire day (several hours at a time) out on foot, covering kilometer after kilometer, after kilometer, for several days in a row.. walking down a buffalo somewhere like Tanzania or Zimbabwe.. a sling might be in order..

Take it off when the stalk begins, put it back on for the slog back to the vehicle. I don’t even take one anymore

Well, at least it's my question. Or more precisely, does anyone intentionally not have a sling on their DG rifle, to keep it clean and reduce potential snagging, especially when shooting off sticks? I've seen a couple of vids where guys get their sling hung up on the sticks and it costs time, even if a fraction of a sec, to get that second sight picture and I can imagine throws them off just a bit.
We're starting training with the rifles and sticks just after Christmas, so I'll come to my own conclusion, but just wondering what the brain trust thinks.
while i take it on my trip i always end up not using it due to jess

I intentionally don't have a sling on my DG Rifle and have used it that way for 3 species of the Big 5 between hunts in RSA, Zimbabwe, and Namibia. For me it causes it to get hung-up going through thick brush, mounting on the sticks, etc. I also learned a slung rifle slows you down if you need to take a quick snap shot. I think the same thing about scope covers slowing you down. I personally prefer to carry my rifle on my shoulder & holding the barrel.

I do pack a sling for the trip, but unless I know I'm gonna be in an area with some terrain changes and climbing rocks I tend to leave it in the truck or camp.

How are you comfortable carrying a rifle? If you carry one slung in the North America, then it would be foolish and perhaps somewhat unsafe to quit using one in Africa - particularly if you adopt the African carry on your shoulder for the first time.

Also, As @YancyW notes trying to walk down a buffalo can make for a long day. Try taking a four-hour hike at home with a 10 lb pipe in your hands. Here Europe and Africa, I normally carry my rifle slung from the left shoulder, muzzle down, with left hand on the forearm. It snags on nothing and I have total control of the muzzle. It rotates up and into firing position as quickly as from port arms.

I have carried that way in every terrain imaginable in Namibia, the Limpopo, Mozambique and Zambia. Jess, stickers, brush, whatever is less a problem than any other carry mode I have tried. I am in company by the way, Len Taylor, one of Zim's most famous PHs uses the same carry on his Lott.

I think the same thing about scope covers slowing you down.
Yep.. I purposely do not have scope covers on any of my hunting rifles..

If they get dusty, Ive always got a zeiss wipe or two in the pack..

Not worth the hassle of dealing with covers to me...

I don’t have a sling on my double but do on the .375. With quick release swivels it can be a “game time decision”.
I recommend grip exercises and plenty of practice if you are going to African carry.

I currently run lens caps on my hunting rifles, i can see a rationale to leave them on until opening them at the same time as loading the rifle. Will consider removing them when leaving the camp.

I used a sling on every hunt, quick release swivels. Also QD mounts on my scope. Both the sling and scope came off when not required, on follow up. 15 kilometres is a long walk back after the hunt without a sling at my stage of life. Would have loved to have a gun bearer but those days are gone I'm afraid

I tend towards never slinging guns, in Africa or in BC. I have jumped game in the past and lost the chance on good animals, where the time to un-sling was about the time I needed to get a good shot off. I hear the argument for slinging, and then taking it off on the final approach, however that does not address the "luck factor" of bumping into nice game, and detaching a sling takes significantly longer than unslinging a rifle, which just adds time that things can go wrong.

I concur with practicing it though, and on jogs I will sometimes carry a 9lb steel bar. Its a 2" bar a little over 10" long, I use a 2" bar as it is shorter and looks less "gun-ish" to hippies, and instead makes me look like I care about fitness. Also 2" around is about the diameter of the mid point of a rifle.

If you learn to carry safely in either hand, then you just pass it off from hand to hand when you get tired, and swapping hands is way faster than unslinging.

That being said, everything here can be sped up by practice....

Scope covers come off at the uncasing for rifle checks and don’t go back on until the final wipe down after the hunt is over. Sling never comes off. I can’t imagine ever hunting without one on safari.

I respect that other people have the opposite opinion based on their experience, but by far the worst time I ever had traversing brush was literally crawling though some vile thorn bushes in Patagonia trying to figure out how to deal with the brush while a slingless borrowed rifle was occupying my hands.

One can always take off a sling in the unlikely event it causes trouble. It’s a lot easier than growing a second pair of arms. Once one has mastered the skill, shouldering a slung rifle, particularly one slung muzzle down weak side, adds very little time compared with a low or high ready position.

I also carry my handguns in a holster…

Last edited:
On my grand total of 2 DG hunts in varied terrain (including extremely thick thorn bush) , walking as much as 10+miles at a time, I always had a sling attached and varied my carry method depending on the circumstances. Never had an issue with it getting hung up . Keep the muzzle pointed away from anything you don’t want to kill. It really isn’t that hard .

i prefer to have a sling. (with QD swivels). remove whenever moving thru areas where visibility is limited. also, u can use the sling with the rifle in front of your shoulder, muzzle up, not on your back. ive practiced this carry technique. its amazingly fast to bring an animal into sights with a little practice. made me feel better on the trips ive taken walking thru willow thickets up north of kotzebue on the kelly and noatak rivers in alaska. too many grumpy griz up there to not be ready for business. just my humble 2 cents, gentlemen

I’m a slinger. I personally can’t imagine not using a sling walking 8-10 miles a day in 100 degree heat. But my ph would not be cool at all with the fashionable muzzle forward shoulder “Africa” carry….he doesn’t like barrels pointed his direction. To get ready for the hunts I do lots of farmers carries with 45lb plate in each hand doing laps at the gym. Do that 3-4 times a week for the 90 or so days leading up and your hands and shoulders should be ready.

Lastly, a Murray sling can solve a lot of problems associated with a loose strap flying around. The way he does his buckle it slides easy so you can tighten it up completely silently if sneaking in thick stuff, then re-adjust to sling over shoulder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KieraVazqu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Bill J H wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Do you still have this rifle? I'm in the KC area on business and I'm very interested.
Safari Dave wrote on CoElkHunter's profile.
I didn't get drawn for Wyoming this year.

Are you planning to hunt Unit 4 this fall?

(Thinking about coming out)
another great review

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.