Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
US, South Africa
Here’s a quick story for you

On my second safari with my dad and a work colleague of his Stevan, with Legelela safaris. We had this basic idea of what we wanted to target for plains game my dad would target waterbuck and Duiker, his friend had his list, and I would go for Gemsbok and wildebeest. A week before I was doing a cull hunt with Frontier safari’s in the east cape so I was adamant about my Dad and Steven to go first on this hunt(sportsmanship a mistake on my part).

So on the first couple of days of hunting Stevan would go hunting first because it was his first safari and he took a most excellent Red Heartabeest and a respectful Sable in that time frame. Then my dad went on a stalk with our PH for waterbuck. After a while of them stalking and eventually losing any sign of waterbuck they came across a most respectful of Gemsbok( a inch short of SCI class) so with rifle in the sticks he thought to himself I really should let Connor have this one…..but I’m here now! And then took my desired Gemsbok opportunity from me.
IMG_3902.jpeg

The day after at camp the property came owner Talked to our chain smoker of a PH and said there’s a single old golden wildebeest that escaped the wildlife auction years ago and he will give a client that wildebeest for the same price as a normal blue wildebeest. So me being the son of Scottish women and naturally thrifty jumped at the opportunity. And proceeded to place 3 perfectly placed shots of 30-06 into the old bull(next time I’m using a 375 for a wildebeest, that’s a tough animal!).

Later that day we decided to target waterbuck for dad. So driving around eventually we stoped and the PH to got out and whispered to me come Connor let’s go hunt a sable. I was flabbergasted! My Dad decided to give me s Sable without telling me. So then the chase began! My PH and I stalked and stalked, he would stop on I would get down low, then we stalked some more. We kept seeing sable, and they would see us and disappear into the bush perfectly blending to the shade of the trees. So then we would keep going and keep stalking and would keep smoking. And eventually we lost the sable all together. But we kept going anyway…and suddenly he stopped and looked through his binoculars, and said to me(smelling of tobacco)…hay that’s a really nice Duiker, you want him? And I stood there thinking to myself I really should save this for dad…….wait a minute he shot my Gemsbok! And I proceeded to drop that little Duiker where he stood taking my revenge for the missing Gemsbok hole in my life.
IMG_3953.jpeg

And that’s that. Thank you for reading and have a good day.

Here’s a quick story for you

On my second safari with my dad and a work colleague of his Stevan, with Legelela safaris. We had this basic idea of what we wanted to target for plains game my dad would target waterbuck and Duiker, his friend had his list, and I would go for Gemsbok and wildebeest. A week before I was doing a cull hunt with Frontier safari’s in the east cape so I was adamant about my Dad and Steven to go first on this hunt(sportsmanship a mistake on my part).

So on the first couple of days of hunting Stevan would go hunting first because it was his first safari and he took a most excellent Red Heartabeest and a respectful Sable in that time frame. Then my dad went on a stalk with our PH for waterbuck. After a while of them stalking and eventually losing any sign of waterbuck they came across a most respectful of Gemsbok( a inch short of SCI class) so with rifle in the sticks he thought to himself I really should let Connor have this one…..but I’m here now! And then took my desired Gemsbok opportunity from me.View attachment 558918

The day after at camp the property came owner Talked to our chain smoker of a PH and said there’s a single old golden wildebeest that escaped the wildlife auction years ago and he will give a client that wildebeest for the same price as a normal blue wildebeest. So me being the son of Scottish women and naturally thrifty jumped at the opportunity. And proceeded to place 3 perfectly placed shots of 30-06 into the old bull(next time I’m using a 375 for a wildebeest, that’s a tough animal!).

Later that day we decided to target waterbuck for dad. So driving around eventually we stoped and the PH to got out and whispered to me come Connor let’s go hunt a sable. I was flabbergasted! My Dad decided to give me s Sable without telling me. So then the chase began! My PH and I stalked and stalked, he would stop on I would get down low, then we stalked some more. We kept seeing sable, and they would see us and disappear into the bush perfectly blending to the shade of the trees. So then we would keep going and keep stalking and would keep smoking. And eventually we lost the sable all together. But we kept going anyway…and suddenly he stopped and looked through his binoculars, and said to me(smelling of tobacco)…hay that’s a really nice Duiker, you want him? And I stood there thinking to myself I really should save this for dad…….wait a minute he shot my Gemsbok! And I proceeded to drop that little Duiker where he stood taking my revenge for the missing Gemsbok hole in my life.View attachment 558921
And that’s that. Thank you for reading and have a good day.
Sweet Revenge! LOL. Great story. That will teach him. Glad you had a great time on safari!

What? No more? What ever happened with the Sable?

Very good chuckle.

Great short story for sure. Sure would love to hear more and see more pics. But, hey, I’m kinda addicted to these stories. Lol. Congratulations to you all on a great hunt. Memories for sure. And some good natured ribbing I would imagine.

Great short story for sure. Sure would love to hear more and see more pics. But, hey, I’m kinda addicted to these stories. Lol. Congratulations to you all on a great hunt. Memories for sure. And some good natured ribbing I would imagine.
I’ll probably do another in the future about the old golden boy, or maybe about my first kill in east cape…….or maybe how we had to use a little bit of noble corruption to get out of South Africa

Very cool lol how about a traditional hunt report? We'd love to read more! Thanks for sharing!
The hunt was a year ago and I only joined AH a few weeks ago. Nice to know everyone is interested in my little safari.

For y’all who want a hunt report from this, I’ll make one later this week

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
manojsharma

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)