The "ideal" AH Hunter - welcome note

Africa Son's do you have any good tips for us that already live in Africa seems to me I have only had a glimpse to opening the curtain into hunting Africa.

Africa's son reply (again just a parody:)):

Thank you it really means a lot that you ask for my opinion on matters such as these. This is actually the first point, ask when you do not know, there is no such a thing as a dumb question, just dumb answers....

The second thing I can tell you about Africa, is that you better be prepared. Apart from people who share newspaper clips and warn others about the crime and chase away tourists (while they still live in SA, go figure), is that you better be prepared for the wildlife! In RSA especially the cities, you will get the big five walking around wild!

The third thing no-one knew about Africa, is that every 2nd guy is a PH. And you only get 2 types of PH's, nothing in between. The 1st is what they call the city PH. They are situated in the cities, because there are so much DG in the cities as mentioned. They all drive their 4x4 bakkies in the cities, but more specifically the type with hunting racks on the back. These PH's have not done any training or have any experience in the field, but they know the most! People on this forum do not need to worry, they barely get to hunt with them, but SA hunters, these are the PH's you get to deal with a lot, specifically at braai's!

The 2nd type of PH, is the PH in the bush. @VertigoBE mentioned they always have rugby shorts, very true! They are normally red in the face, not from the sun, but to much alcohol with clients. They also have the same bakkie as the city PH's, which normally they buy from the city PH's. These PH's operate on 250 Hectares (600 acre) farms, which they stock to the brim. The farm has an interior "fence", normally a road. They will tell their clients, "the side to the East of the road, is the Kruger, you better keep your eyes peeled". You may ask, what about the fence once you enter? Well they always tell you, this is the KNP fence and you are now in wild Africa. Practically, the road is always 50m from each fence, and the client, none the wise, never realizes they are hunting on a 125HA area.

Frederik, if you want to be really successful in hunting Africa, I have some tips for you as well:
1. Wear you camo from the minute you step out of your house in the city until you are in the field.
2. Hunt with a 6.5 Creedmoor, it is a wonder cartridge for hunters in Africa. More importantly, you need a PRS type of chassis as this is what makes you a real Africa hunter!
3. Always try to extend your shooting distance, you have the creedmoor
4. Never hunt without a coolbox
5. The more in your hunting group, the better
6. The Long Farm has the cheapest rates on animals, but you have to hunt during nightime, preferable with a silencer
7. Always have a sandbag so you do not scratch your PH's bakkies' roof

Africa’s Son

Remember to look for an outfit with well trained buffalo that know how to pose for charge photos. This is important because it might require more than one take. Also, don’t shoot until after they are within the 4 yard mark, so it’s “self defense”. That way you can skip the trophy fee if you don’t like the pictures.

Remember: it’s your Safari, and the customer is always right. The PH is just pulling your leg about game laws anyway…
You are correct, always ensure you take a headshot, that way you can claim SD - Nice!

You still have a bit to learn.

All African PHs are living for the day that they can get rid of their pre war .500 double so they to can own a R8, just like their clients.
Thanks, I will take this piece of advice to heart. But I just want to mention, the R8 is the newest version to the older R4/R5's used by the SANDF. The latter is the best for hunting! Even the Isreali's copied it for their LM 5's. The newer R8's are great, just a pity you have to cycle the action yourself

Last edited:
@saswart

Pit helmet, rifle, short pants, and bakkie was already discussed.
Remaining thing is to advice about knee long socks, which ones to take for safari, wool, cotton or synthetic? Color flat dark earth? Khaki? Or pink for modern touch?

hunter explorer.jpg

From the situations you have mentioned, it would be interesting if you could add #ThatReallyHappened. Because I have the feeling some of your descriptions come from experience!
How could it have really have happened, I did not post a picture.

Lon

Valuable info there Saswart I seem to keep bumping into these CITY PH's at a place called Safari & Outdoor that is why I try and stay away form that place as much as possible.

Seems like they love to cater to theses city PH"s

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FBYChristi

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)