thats why I dont like doubles (have one)

I will just throw a bit of kerosene on the campfire by saying that if I were in that situation, I would be longing for my Marlin .45-70.
According to what I've read online, the 45-70 would be serious overkill for this situation! Perhaps a lever gun in 44 mag would be better? You would get more shots with less recoil and after all "caliber is irrelevant with good shot placement".

I assume its not normal to turn your back to a wounded buffalo in close proximity?
When moving quickly to stay out of the way, it is preferable to be facing the direction you're moving ... so you can see where you're going. Tripping would be fatal in this situation. Note at the end the PH very nearly backs into a tree. Had he not dumped that bull when he did, I'm sure he would have been pinned against the tree.

Last edited:

and a guest with a fix scope-thats dung.
Mount down your scope when you search a wounded buff.
Mount down? remove the scope, is that what you mean?

The fellow with the bolt gun was fiddling with it at one point. Near the end was he reloading or clearing a jam.

This video really shows how fast it happens.

It had me practicing my reloads for sure.

I don’t think scope vs no scope matters at 3 feet. You can either shoot instinctively or not.

Biggest criticism I have of client is nearly getting himself down range, but obviously it was a dynamic situation. Really easy to pick it apart from the couch.

This video really shows how fast it happens.

It had me practicing my reloads for sure.

I don’t think scope vs no scope matters at 3 feet. You can either shoot instinctively or not.

Biggest criticism I have of client is nearly getting himself down range, but obviously it was a dynamic situation. Really easy to pick it apart from the couch.
Actually, that worked out well. The charging bull had two targets separating. He was confused about which one to go after and that presented both shooters with excellent opportunities to put him away. Too bad they didn't have guns that worked to capitalize. Or, in the case of client, the basic shooting skills needed to capitalize.

I wonder if the dust flying to the side of the buffalo is just a solid exiting. I think the client and the PH each got 2 shots off apiece during the initial charge and they slowed it down and disoriented the bull. The client briefly ended up in the line of fire of the PH and wisely moved just before the stopping shot.

I assume its not normal to turn your back to a wounded buffalo in close proximity?
Once the buffalo makes it past the first gun I don’t think there is a normal anymore. People will do what they think is best. There won’t be any time to second guess.

Actually, that worked out well. The charging bull had two targets separating. He was confused about which one to go after and that presented both shooters with excellent opportunities to put him away. Too bad they didn't have guns that worked to capitalize. Or, in the case of client, the basic shooting skills needed to capitalize.
I forgot the epic story of your charging gemsbok you missed several times? Maybe a good time to retell it?

I forgot the epic story of your charging gemsbok you missed several times? Maybe a good time to retell it?
You asked for it. I didn't miss. First shot incoming full tilt hit in the chest through the heart at less than twenty yards and then again as it ran by at twelve paces in the right shoulder, also pierced the heart. That shot nearly knocked it over. Piled up after maybe two more strides. I was off the sticks before it broke out of the acacia thicket. Not sure what magnification the scope was set at. Probably 3x. 165 gr 30-06 Partitions.
2019-08-24 gemsbuck.jpg

Happy to refresh your memory. In case you have forgotten, I would be delighted to recount how I shot my buffalo on the run through both lungs.

Perhaps you confused this gemsbuck with the one shot last August. Shot that one in the neck at sixty yards as it took off. My chamber was empty and the gun jammed slightly when I cycled a round from the magazine. The bull turned and came back running across in front at maybe fifty yards. I missed a running shot. Scope was turned up to 6x and it was running through patches of brush. At the shot the bull turned away. After running forty more yards it stopped and turned to face me. About bled out. I shot it offhand in the chest through the heart.
20230817_093329.jpg

Last edited:
You asked for it. I didn't miss. First shot incoming full tilt hit in the chest through the heart at less than twenty yards and then again as it ran by at twelve paces in the right shoulder, also pierced the heart. That shot nearly knocked it over. Piled up after maybe two more strides. I was off the sticks before it broke out of the acacia thicket. Not sure what magnification the scope was set at. Probably 3x. 165 gr 30-06 Partitions.
View attachment 586484
Happy to refresh your memory. In case you have forgotten, I would be delighted to recount how I shot my buffalo on the run through both lungs.
Yes, please refresh my memory on your superior shooting abilities and extensive experience on your two(?) safaris at your famous lodge. I may have forgotten.

Well all I can add to this story is that I’m man enough to admit that I’m sure they handled the situation better than I would have!

Yes, please refresh my memory on your superior shooting abilities and extensive experience on your two(?) safaris at your famous lodge. I may have forgotten.
Four safaris. And sixty years of hunting North America.

Definitely some operator error on the client as well as the PH on their reloads. Looked to me like the client was able to jam a CRF action...crazy what can happen to even the most legendary of actions under pressure.
Not sure how you come to this conclusion?

Part of why I use 500 Jeff bolt. 4 shots. Also why I dont use solids for backup.

Many strange comments here which are just speculation.

Client had balls and hit the buff everytime same for the ph....although he was a bit slow on the reload he keeps concentrating on that dispite the dire situatiin and brains the bull at his feet...

I have seen clients turn and run rather than stick it out to the end.....

Practice, Practice, Practice

We need to build up muscle memory and get to know your rifle.

We had a BASA shoot again yesterday, and in the hands of well practiced individuals over 3 ranges the doubles were again 20 seconds faster over the 3 ranges for the day than the fastest bolt actions. (Total time for 17 shots i.e. 72sec for double vs 92sec for bolts)

No disrespect to the PH, but in our simulations on the range, 2 more shots would have been fired already from the double. (I am a bolt guy)

EDIT: Looking at it again: count the shots coming from the right, did the PH not maybe top up his double again already? All kept their cool and the buff is dead and no one got hurt. Respect for that

But in SA we are still blessed to be able to reload ammo and shoot in excess of 100 big bore rounds just on a few shoots a year with ease.

Last edited:
Part of why I use 500 Jeff bolt. 4 shots. Also why I dont use solids for backup.

Many strange comments here which are just speculation.

Client had balls and hit the buff everytime same for the ph....although he was a bit slow on the reload he keeps concentrating on that dispite the dire situatiin and brains the bull at his feet...

I have seen clients turn and run rather than stick it out to the end.....
Watch the video again. Before the buff finally decides to turn from client and go for the PH you can clearly see the client's shot at buff hit the dirt a good three feet to left and behind it. Threw up quite a cloud of dust. WAY missed it at almost point blank range!

I was advised not to use TSX for that reason. I’ve killed buffalo with swift A frame, trophy bonded bear claw, and non-bonded federal soft points. No pass throughs. Obviously ideal to wait if possible but shooting from herds is common practice many areas.
We dont agree on a a few things.....hahaha but
you have absolutely you nailed this.

Enjoyed meeting you in Dallas!

Any situation on DG where everyone walks away alive, is well done. There is no script for events of how things have to go. Whether riding a buffalo or whether a bolt is better than a double. The DG animal doesn't care.

Everyone is safe. Job done.

Watch the video again. Before the buff finally decides to turn from client and go for the PH you can clearly see the client's shot at buff hit the dirt a good three feet to left and behind it. Threw up quite a cloud of dust. WAY missed it at almost point blank range!
Mymymy.....

YOU should watch it again before making assumptions.......

Buff charges.....ph shoots first......client shoots his first shot as it passes broadside.....he never reloads....ph standing to the right shoots(he is now empty).....(the dust you refer to as being from clients shot).....the client tries to shoot and realises he did not reload and this is where the fumbling starts......

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RogelioCat

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)