R.M.C.

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
U.S. , Canada, and RSA
Just got my crate full of goodies from my first safari, wanted to share the costs with anyone interested. I used Amara Taxidermy in Limpopo for the following animals:
Impala - bleached skull, tanned hide
Bush Pig - bleached skull, tanned hide
Zebra - full rug w/ felt backing & ashtray from front leg and hoof
Monkey - bleached skull, tanned tail
Ostrich - bleached skull, bunch of different feathers
Blesbok - bleached skull
Blue Wildebeest - bleached skull, rug w/ felt backing
Wart Hog - shoulder mount
I did not request any wooden plaques or anything for the skulls, the total bill was $1380 US. Everything turned out great, the tanned hides impressed me the most. Even the bush pig hide was soft and supple and the zebra rug is amazing, skulls were nice and clean. I would definitely recommend them and I will use them again in a few years hopefully.
For the shipping I used Zingela Forwarders , great communication from the start, answered some stupid questions from a first timer and did all the paperwork right. It went from joberg to Israel, to JFK airport in New York City. Crate was 55 KG, Volumetric weight- 59 KG, 26" tall, 32" long, 24" wide. Total bill for that was $1045 US. I would recommend them too.
For clearance I used Coppersmiths in NYC , the guy I talked to was Lenny Fishman. Great communication throughout, they have a warehouse near JFK to avoid storage fees. My total for Coppersmiths was $1250 US, and $250 of that was for the freight truck delivering the crate about 200 miles to my place. Landed on thursday afternoon and was cleared by tuesday at noon. No storage fees. I would recommend Coppersmiths to anyone near NYC.
So the total taxidermist bill was $1380 and the total shipping bill was $2295.
All and all I'm happy with everything, nothing had to go to a usda taxidermist and I don't think the bill was bad. I was preparing myself for a real fleecing but I feel okay now hahaha. Hopefully this helps someone planning a safari in the near future.

You're taxidermy bill cost was very good (IMO), two large rugs, a shoulder mount and not even counting your skulls. Congrats on getting your mounts! Hope you put up photos.

You're taxidermy bill cost was very good (IMO), two large rugs, a shoulder mount and not even counting your skulls. Congrats on getting your mounts! Hope you put up photos.
Yeah I was a little hesitant to use the guy because his prices were so cheap but I figured what the heck, I'll give him a try. I'll definitely use him again.
Thanks! It was like Christmas in September lol.

Last edited:
You got a really good deal on the taxidermy. Just the zebra rug would have cost you nearly that in US. For flat skins tanning in Africa is way to go I think.
I honestly think the hides I got tanned in Africa are nicer than ANY I've got in America. They're trimmed perfectly and couldn't get any more pliable.

IMG_20230922_210558.jpg
Here's the WB rug, I gotta take some decent pictures of the rest tomorrow.

Very nice trophies and thanks for sharing all of your costs. I think both the taxidermy and shipping costs were very reasonable.

I don’t think I’d put this one in the house lol

All the skulls came back really good condition. It’s unfortunately pretty common they are over boiled or slightly damaged during shipping and nose is broken. I’ve glued more than a few back together.

That’s a pretty good price. My quoted price for just dip pack and crate is 1380, in Zimbabwe . That does include cites tags though. I plan on having a few skins tanned and zebra done over there.

I don’t think I’d put this one in the house lol

All the skulls came back really good condition. It’s unfortunately pretty common they are over boiled or slightly damaged during shipping and nose is broken. I’ve glued more than a few back together.
Yeah I was a little surprised to see my wife unwrap a primate skull and put it on the kitchen table lol. I was fully expecting to at the very least have a some missing teeth but they were all great. Big relief to have everything home safe. Makes me think I need to go back for Nyala!

That’s a pretty good price. My quoted price for just dip pack and crate is 1380, in Zimbabwe . That does include cites tags though. I plan on having a few skins tanned and zebra done over there.
Thank you sir! What are you hunting in Zim?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gwol1f

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)