Suggested 9.3mm Wildcat

In the 1920s, DWM offered the 9,3x70, a necked down .404 Rimless. (DWM 569)

Rifles are still available from Reimer Johannsen, Germany.

Lee offers the die set....cases easily can be formed from .404

HWL
Yes, HWL, that is the caliber I will build shortly..it is not a wild cat but standard caliber designed by Brenneke ( or that is in the literature documented ) but surely a German design...like all the great, great designs...like the 10.75 x 73 mm caliber , the German version...

Back when I did a few calibers on the 375 Ruger case, a 9.3, a 416, and a 404, all were great calibers..none for myself but for a doctor in Twin Falls and a rancher in Texas..I later made myself a .338 on that case...all good calibers but Im not much on wildcats these days, its all been done and we just remake the wheel these days IMO..

No I never got to wring it out, as the good doctor bought it and took it the day I finished it, didn't even get to play with it or check accuracy, feed and function..but Im sure it was a sizzler..

As to myself I built a 9.3 x 64, and the end result was it only beat the 9.3x62 by about a 100 FPS, and that did not impress me, but I load my 9.3x62 hot with RL-17 and 15..in that order..I have been a 9.3x62 fan for many years, I got my first one at 18 years and I was the only person in the Texas Big Bend country that knew such a gun existed..in fact I may well have been the first person in Texas that owned one. had to get special dies, use 06 cases that lasted about 3 loadings, and I got several hundred bullets for it witht he gun and they were all I had for 10 years so I sold the gun in the early 60s..I recall the only powder I had was 4831 and perhaps 4350..Some years later components became available and I built another, then picked up some 9.3x62 that came back from WW2 with the soldiers I suspect and it just got better every year and today its rather popular world wide and the timing was right to take it to Africa more than a few times and use it on about everything..I have always been hard pressed to choose between it and the 338 Win..so I never got around to building myself a 375 Ruger x 93 . I do like the 375 Ruger so well I will probably never own another 9.3x62..

paul,
i would suggest it is about equal to 9.3x66 sako revised loads, or halfway between x62 and 64.
it seems to give a 286 gn bullet about 2550, whereas the x 64 can take that bullet over 2600 safely.
not much in it though.
bruce.
Being a rifle looney and not a cartridge looney I just don’t understand trying to improve something that has worked perfectly fine for 115 years as the 9.3x62 has done. But variety is the spice of life and to each his own. Maybe I am just stuck in the last century. But I like it there. The hunting is good and the eating is better. Bigger holes lead to shorter blood trails. Good hunting!

Anthony George made up a dummy 9.3mm round, base on the 330 Norma Mag case. he's also done some, necked up to 375, 416, 404, and 458; none of them really going anywhere ...
Well the 416 would be a short? 416 Rigby or damn close to it as the Rigby is the parent case from memory or have I got 330 and 300Norma Mags mixed up.

No, the 300 and 330 Norma Mag are sister cartridges, based on either the 416 Rigby or the 338 Lapua. They run at higher pressure that the 416, close to that of the Lap round. I've seen a custom built switch barrel rifle that can handle all three... An awesome piece.

Thanks. So the 416 Rigby is parent case, it is the parent case for the 338 Lapau. Run the Rigby at those pressures and you have a 416 Weatherby. Ohh my aching shoulder :)

Thanks. So the 416 Rigby is parent case, it is the parent case for the 338 Lapau. Run the Rigby at those pressures and you have a 416 Weatherby. Ohh my aching shoulder :)
@Rule303
Grit your teeth, put your big boy pants on and go let a few off down range from the bench mate.
Ha ha ha ha ha
Bob

Why run the 416 Rigby to Weatherby pressures? it was developed to perform more than adequately at moderate levels, around 40,000 cup, the Wobbleby at over 55,000. A pointless exercise. Yup, I got the 338 N M name wrong, acknowledged. It took under a year for someone to "A I" the 300 Norma Mag, adding another 150 fps to its M V... I do like the idea of a switch-barrelled rifle; 416 Rigby (or Paul Roberts' development, the 450 Rigby) and a 300 N M, any L/G or D/G, anywhere, at any range ...
@Rule303
Grit your teeth, put your big boy pants on and go let a few off down range from the bench mate.
Ha ha ha ha ha
Bob

I for one would not be running the Rigby at Weatherby pressures, though it can be done by those that wish to. The 410 grain bullet at MV of 2450fps does the job very nicely.

The 36 Nosler could be a quite interesting wildcat.

Reamers are available:

Has anybody a drawing? Which of the different Noslers is the parent case (different L3)?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-02 at 6.32.22 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-02 at 6.32.22 AM.png
    743.4 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot 2023-10-02 at 6.32.31 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-02 at 6.32.31 AM.png
    421.6 KB · Views: 26
9.3x74R or 9.3x62mm is all 9.3 you need for African hunting...

If you had a 9 3x74R/6.5×57R Bergstutzen(286 to 300gr and 150 or 160gr)
7x57R/12ga Combo 2 barrel set same action

And a 6.5x55 Swede or 7x65R Kipplauf you are set for all African pg....

Blaser can provide this....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AutumnBode

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Safari Dave wrote on CoElkHunter's profile.
I didn't get drawn for Wyoming this year.

Are you planning to hunt Unit 4 this fall?

(Thinking about coming out)
EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.
sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone
We fitted a new backup generator for the Wildgoose lodge!