Sub $600 scope for my pre-64 model 70

mauserhunter

AH veteran
Reaction score
I'm looking for a scope for my m70 to replace the 3-9x40 nikon on it, with the leupold sale I have my eye on the vx-3hd 3.5-10x40 with the fire dot there $599 right not, about the perfect scope but I've read some guys having tracking and shifting problems. $600 is max I can pay tho, 3-4 would be better. Will be for a 3006 that may become a 280ai some day. Using talley lightweights mounts.

Couple wants
Not over 14x power
Not over 50mm objective 40-44 would be preferable.
Long eye relief has to have 3.6 or better
Long main to to get the scope back more in fixed mounts
Not to heavy say under 18 Oz
Usable tracking not going to be a turret twister just for deer hunting
Decent glass
I like the 30mm tube scopes
No Vortex

Have you looked into Osprey Optix?
I have 3 of their scopes: 1 on a 30-06, 1 on a 375H&H, and 1 on a 22LR. IMO these are great scopes for the money with lifetime guarantees and good customer service and tech assistance.

Just curious,

Why no Vortex scopes?
I have 2: 1 1-6 × 26 and 1 2.5-12 × 28, both for my 458WM.

Why not over 14x?

Have you looked into Osprey Optix?
I have 3 of their scopes: 1 on a 30-06, 1 on a 375H&H, and 1 on a 22LR. IMO these are great scopes for the money with lifetime guarantees and good customer service and tech assistance.

Just curious,

Why no Vortex scopes?
I have 2: 1 1-6 × 26 and 1 2.5-12 × 28, both for my 458WM.

Why not over 14x?
I've not really looked at osprey, like to stick with more well known companies. I see so many problems with the non Japanese Vortex I don't want to even waste time or money to keep sending them back for replacement plus the head of Vortex a while back pretty much said they don't care about quality control.

I don't need more then 14x usually over 14 the scopes are bigger then what I'd want on a traditional deer rifle.

I have a Riton that performs pretty good. Ive also used Primary Arms and Arken. You can always try E-bay for a Used Leupold

If you can get that Leupold scope with a Firedot reticle for that price, buy it and be done with it. It’ll be a great scope for your 30-06. Simple as that.

I have a Riton that performs pretty good. Ive also used Primary Arms and Arken. You can always try E-bay for a Used Leupold
Few of my friends have the ritons and they don't recommend there lower end scopes, I keep thinking a arken had my hands on a epl-4 when they came out and I liked it, just looking for a little more traditional scope. Locking turret or capped is a big plus to.

I haven't looked on eBay in awhile, I wouldn't mind a m8 4x or similar but think they were over $300 last I've seen.

If you can get that Leupold scope with a Firedot reticle for that price, buy it and be done with it. It’ll be a great scope for your 30-06. Simple as that.
Ya looking around a few places has that leupold for 599 699 for the 50mm twilight hunter, think I'll be better off with the 40mm obj. I'd like to see some real world pictures of the firedot.

I like my Trijicon Huron 2.5-10x40. They have a reputation for being rugged. Also I think the glass is good and the clicks and adjustments seem consistent. I might consider a different Trijicon with an illuminated reticle for some situations (Credo maybe). The cross hairs in mine are a bit thin. But I trust it more then my Leopolds.

I like my Trijicon Huron 2.5-10x40. They have a reputation for being rugged. Also I think the glass is good and the clicks and adjustments seem consistent. I might consider a different Trijicon with an illuminated reticle for some situations (Credo maybe). The cross hairs in mine are a bit thin. But I trust it more then my Leopolds.
I was looking at the 3-12 eurooptic.com has one on sale but it says the eye relief is only 2.2-3.2 that can't be right. I really need about 4" average from high to low power.

I can help you on Leupold scopes
180327 3.5-10x40 Firedot $570
180628 3.5-10x50 Firedot $637
other options also available
No sales taxes out of state shipment
Buyer pays actual UPS Shipping

just pm me, or call shop

Mark

Leupold, Tract or you could probably find a used Swaro for that price.

At that price point for that rifle I’d be all over the VX3 deal @R&M FIREARMS offers above…

Or consider finding a used Zeiss conquest in good shape (might take a while) … they’re typically about the same price…

Check out the Maven RS2. I’ve got a couple of them and have had no problems with zero shift. Very light weight as well. I did have one get crushed on a rifle I sold, but it looked like fed ex ran the box over with a forklift.

I was looking at the 3-12 eurooptic.com has one on sale but it says the eye relief is only 2.2-3.2 that can't be right. I really need about 4" average from high to low power.
I don't think the eye release is actually a problem I am used to Leopold with 4 inches of eye relief and I didn't think it was too little. Maybe other models are different but my Trijicon acupoint and Trijicon Huron both feel fine 3.5 to 4 inches of eye relief I think

I don't think the eye release is actually a problem I am used to Leopold with 4 inches of eye relief and I didn't think it was too little. Maybe other models are different but my Trijicon acupoint and Trijicon Huron both feel fine 3.5 to 4 inches of eye relief I think
I have to check there site I can't see it being so low, can't think anywhere local that has any scopes I can check out.

I'd order one with the option to return it. They list it as 3.3 but I think others have said their eye relief may be conservative.

I'm looking for a scope for my m70 to replace the 3-9x40 nikon on it, with the leupold sale I have my eye on the vx-3hd 3.5-10x40 with the fire dot there $599 right not, about the perfect scope but I've read some guys having tracking and shifting problems. $600 is max I can pay tho, 3-4 would be better. Will be for a 3006 that may become a 280ai some day. Using talley lightweights mounts.

Couple wants
Not over 14x power
Not over 50mm objective 40-44 would be preferable.
Long eye relief has to have 3.6 or better
Long main to to get the scope back more in fixed mounts
Not to heavy say under 18 Oz
Usable tracking not going to be a turret twister just for deer hunting
Decent glass
I like the 30mm tube scopes
No Vortex

Best deal at your pricepoint is a brand new 1" Swarovski z3 3-9x36mm in ultra low rings. That is a magnificent lightweight scope for a paltry $645.

Best deal at your pricepoint is a brand new 1" Swarovski z3 3-9x36mm in ultra low rings. That is a magnificent lightweight scope for a paltry $645.
Think the cheapest I seen was 799 but haven't looked hard at there prices, I'd like to try one tho think there eye relief was on the short side as well.

Think the cheapest I seen was 799 but haven't looked hard at there prices, I'd like to try one tho think there eye relief was on the short side as well.

There are sponsors on this forum that can hook you up at the price I spouted.

The eye relief is about 3.8" like almost all other scopes. I own several of this scope and they worked wonderfully for my sons as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yuyixinwei26

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Safari Dave wrote on CoElkHunter's profile.
I didn't get drawn for Wyoming this year.

Are you planning to hunt Unit 4 this fall?

(Thinking about coming out)
EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.
sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone
We fitted a new backup generator for the Wildgoose lodge!