Strap for 4 Stable sticks?

xbr897

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Up until now, I've been using Primo Trigger Sticks. After my last SA hunt, I've been looking for some shooting sticks that support front and rear of the rifle like my PH had. I just got a set of the 4 Stable Sticks from @RAVEN ROCKS PRECISION and in practicing with them today something felt different from the sticks my PH has. I realized that for my PH's sticks, he had a strap between the front rest and the rear rest so that they were quick to setup with repeatable distance between them. The 4 Stable Sticks don't seem to have any such strap nor any way I see to easily attach one. Any suggestions for getting a strap setup on these?

I don’t have a suggestion for attaching a strap, but as you get comfortable with the sticks I don’t think you will want one. It’s just one more thing to hang up in the brush. I also find it something of a nuisance trying to quickly close quad sticks that have them. The way I set myself up on quad sticks. I put the back of the rifle in first then let the forearm fall into place, sling in front of the front rest. I hold the sling and front two sticks not the forearm of rifle. This gives a repeatable distance each time you shoot. Don’t try and set the rifle down on both front and back rests at the same time. With 4 stable sticks the sticks barely extend beyond the front stocks on my rifles so I’ve never had a problem with opening too wide. Viper flex sticks do not come with a strap either.

I was just doing some dry fire and set-up practice with my new set of 4 Stable Sticks. I agree that with a little more practice with them you probably won't need a strap, as they since they don't fall far apart on their own.

Similar sticks that I've seen that did have straps seemed to have a lot more give in how far they separated on their own if you let go of them (if that makes sense).

Thanks for feedback. I only worked with them for a few minutes and then haven't had much time. I'll find some more time to work with them and likely have better feel for what you two are relaying. I also realized if I wanted to that i could do a quick 3d printed clip-on loop to make my own strap if I really want one.

I set up one with a short length of paracord for the spacing I wanted. It’s personal preference, but it worked well for for me. One less variable when setting the sticks for a shot.

IMG_6696.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Para cord is a good solution as long as it doesn’t get caught on the brush. I wish you all the best with them. I know some people love ‘em…and others not so much.

My biggest issue with the 4-Stable Sticks (and similar) is getting them to work on uneven terrain. Much less of an issue with tripod style sticks.

I set up one with a short length of paracord for the spacing I wanted. It’s personal preference, but it worked well for for me. One less variable when setting the sticks for a shot.

View attachment 582164
I did essentially the same thing with my Gunstix. Replaced the web strap with an adjustable (used a cord slide) piece of paracord between the front and back. Much easier the setup and close now. Have a lot fewer hangups going through thick stuff than I did with the strap.

I was thinking of trying one of those small, shorter bungee cords

View attachment 582164
I actually Laughed out loud Just now. I am waiting on my talarik carbon sticks I was reading through the thread and was thinking i would just Para cord that shit... and I saw your pic...

I actually Laughed out loud Just now. I am waiting on my talarik carbon sticks I was reading through the thread and was thinking i would just Para cord that shit... and I saw your pic...
Well, I am honored to provide entertainment!! Glad you got a laugh out of it!. Paracord comes in handy.

I use this Mjoelner sticks, best thing before hunting was to remove all strips and straps. Keep it as simple as possible…

Attachments

• Fenris I traveler - Mjoelner Hunting.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 26
How about 5 sticks, the 5th supporting the 10 Inch can and giving extra support for the mega-scope for that 300-yard shot at a buffalo.

Shame. And maybe a sixth one for the elbow too. Maybe something to sit on. And why pull the trigger yourself that could also require some work.

How about 5 sticks, the 5th supporting the 10 Inch can and giving extra support for the mega-scope for that 300-yard shot at a buffalo.

Shame. And maybe a sixth one for the elbow too. Maybe something to sit on. And why pull the trigger yourself that could also require some work.
There are 4 points of contact with a tripod and there are 4 points of contact with quad sticks. Quad sticks are very well suited to certain ground and can be equally fast as a tripod just a much more stable ethical shot. It’s amazing to me how many make no real effort to learn to shoot with them and decide there is no advantage over a tripod. Why not go back to no sticks if this is the attitude? The progression went from no sticks to monopod to bipod to tripod to quad sticks.

There are 4 points of contact with a tripod and there are 4 points of contact with quad sticks. Quad sticks are very well suited to certain ground and can be equally fast as a tripod just a much more stable ethical shot. It’s amazing to me how many make no real effort to learn to shoot with them and decide there is no advantage over a tripod. Why not go back to no sticks if this is the attitude? The progression went from no sticks to monopod to bipod to tripod to quad sticks.

Exactly my point and i bit tongue in cheek. If you know what a joke is?
Where does it end
Quad sticks and then??? Whats next

Up until now, I've been using Primo Trigger Sticks. After my last SA hunt, I've been looking for some shooting sticks that support front and rear of the rifle like my PH had. I just got a set of the 4 Stable Sticks from @RAVEN ROCKS PRECISION and in practicing with them today something felt different from the sticks my PH has. I realized that for my PH's sticks, he had a strap between the front rest and the rear rest so that they were quick to setup with repeatable distance between them. The 4 Stable Sticks don't seem to have any such strap nor any way I see to easily attach one. Any suggestions for getting a strap setup on these?
The Blaser sticks come with that strap. Once you get used to them it will just be in the way and you won't want it.

Exactly my point and i bit tongue in cheek. If you know what a joke is?
Where does it end
Quad sticks and then??? Whats next
Maybe it’s a joke but there is a lot of criticism of quad sticks on here from hunters who haven’t put in effort to really learn to shoot with them and learn a new style. Quad sticks have dramatically changed my shooting and really decreased my chance of a wounded animal while hunting. The amount of improvement over a tripod was huge for me.

Maybe it’s a joke but there is a lot of criticism of quad sticks on here from hunters who haven’t put in effort to really learn to shoot with them and learn a new style. Quad sticks have dramatically changed my shooting and really decreased my chance of a wounded animal while hunting. The amount of improvement over a tripod was huge for me.

Thats great
Amazing for you

I would very much agree with you about quads being a more stable platform once you are accustomed to them...with qualifiers.

Practicing at the range vs putting them in the field (effectively) takes more than a few minutes to get good at it. I would also say that shooting from a tripod isn't much different, but the time to come up to proficient level is quicker. I would expect to spend several hours doing dry fire practice with whatever kind of sticks you plan on using.

The deployment of the sticks are where the majority of the problems occur. At the range, no issues because I'm the one setting up the sticks. On a safari things are different as the PH or tracker will be assigned this responsibility.

We took our own sticks (BOG RLD's) on safari and when we were sighting in our rifles, asked who would be in charge of the sticks. Our tracker, Norman said he would take care of it. We then spent the next 15-20 minutes going over what we would prefer when the sticks go out, followed by practicing this and getting comfortable with each other.

Whether you are using quad, tripod, bipod or mono sticks; this time spent with whoever will be deploying them is critical.

My two problems with the quad sticks is getting them deployed quickly and use on uneven terrain. For some reason quad sticks seem to take longer or the transition from the tracker to shooter isn't smooth. The tripod doesn't seem to have as much of an issue. The uneven terrain argument has been beat to death so I'll just say that tripods are better for this.

My recommendation would be to use whatever you are comfortable with but PRACTICE, PRACTICE AND MORE PRACTICE! Second, dance with the one you came with. In other words take your own sticks or make sure you will be shooting from the same platform you have been doing your practice from. Shooting from a tripod at home then being asked to use quads on a hunt will not yield the best results.

EDIT - I recently sold my carbon fiber quad sticks in favor of the BOG Adrenaline tripod for big game hunting. I also use BOG Adrenaline bipod for turkey hunting or for use in a blind when sitting down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AundreaMet

Latest profile posts

Bill J H wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Do you still have this rifle? I'm in the KC area on business and I'm very interested.
Safari Dave wrote on CoElkHunter's profile.
I didn't get drawn for Wyoming this year.

Are you planning to hunt Unit 4 this fall?

(Thinking about coming out)
another great review

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.