Storing rifles

Wait a minute, are we really supposed to clean our firearms?

I take it you are being sarcastic.

Unfortunately, I have intentionally only acquired 3 new to me project firearms, rescued 6 others from suffering the same fate as the previous 3, and didn't make an offer to acquire the last remaining 4 firearms from my previous client whose deceased husband didn’t/ wouldn’t properly clean or maintain his firearms after use.

These are not the only firearms of neglect I have come across and unfortunately I am sure I will see many, many, more once very nice firearms fall prey to extreme rust, barrel pitting, nicks, dents, carbon build up, etc.. I'm talking about young firearms less than 30, 20, 10, 5 years old looking like 100 years old guns of the American western frontier, or for that matter, of the various British, French, Dutch, etc. colonial frontiers.

NOPE —- Not if you shoot or Hunt with Your SON….he cleans, good “training” and a nice “Thank you Dad” for buying the guns, ammo, gas, etc.. (Son’s are GREAT and Love mine !!)

or your (my) buddy's grandson.:cool:

Have had Hoppe's gumming/ varnishing on your actions and internal parts?

I ask because after using Hoppe's cleaning solvents and gun oil I have found that setting for over a day or two Hoppe's starts gumming up/ varnishing on my actions and internal parts resulting in my firearms to not fire or function properly.

I still like Hoppe's for cleaning my firearm(s). But after cleaning I now use a spray parts cleaner to remove the Hoppe's solvent and oil, then use a water displacing only that dries leaving a protective coat that protects parts from friction and helps to protect against rust from periodic handling that doesn't gum or turn to a varnish.
Yes. I've seen Hoppe's do that too. I still use it from time-to-time and it's nostalgic for me because of the smell, but I I don't leave a coating of it on anything anymore. Used to be, that's about all we had and it kept the rust off, although I've seen more than a couple of bolts gummed up to the point that they wouldn't fire. The Hornady stuff dries and leaves behind a thin film of wax, or wax-like, material, that's why I keep it out of the bore except for long term storage. Again, I don't know that it's what I would use if I lived in Atlanta or Alaska for long term storage but I'm in Idaho so we don't have much in the way of humidity. In North Idaho, where you can often hunt for a week straight and it rains and snows every day, the Hornady stuff does a good job of keeping the rust off.

RIDGE: I have Not noticed “gumming” related to Hoppe’s but it’s possible, I don’t “obsesse” over cleaning my guns but I keep them in “functional condition” and never dirty or subject to rust. My Son is better then me - he uses “hinge grease” on his O/Us and always cleans immediately after we shoot a few rounds of Clays (I might wait a day or week — unless it rained or was dusty etc..). Does that “disqualify Me from an opinion on Hoppe’s?? (Maybe it should !)

Absolutely Not.

As I stated I still use Hoppe's for cleaning.

And why I asked if you have experienced the same problem as I have encountered.

I never had these problems before with Hoppe's. Then about 4, 5, or so years ago I started having problems shooting my firearms and discovered the gumming/ varnishing problem several different times at the range.

This gumming/varnishing was causing: hammers to fall to slow softening and preventing strikes on firing pins, immobilizing and blocking firing pins from striking primers or rims on 22's, if or when I did have a round go off, depending on the type of action the slide, bolt (semi autos), cartridge carrier, would not operate or not operate properly causing other problems.

At first I thought I had purchased 6 cases, on sale, of a bad batch. Left those alone and bought 2 bottles of a different batch--lot number resulting in having the same problems.

Hoppe's is a solvent and if you let any solvent dry up you will have a sticky gummy residue that you need to deal with. Even oils will cause gumming problems if you leave enough of it on a piece of metal.

I've learned over the years that if I take a firearm out of the safe that hasn't been used in a few years to give it a good cleaning and going over before I take it out to the range or go hunting with it.

Absolutely Not.

As I stated I still use Hoppe's for cleaning.

And why I asked if you have experienced the same problem as I have encountered.

I never had these problems before with Hoppe's. Then about 4, 5, or so years ago I started having problems shooting my firearms and discovered the gumming/ varnishing problem several different times at the range.

This gumming/varnishing was causing: hammers to fall to slow softening and preventing strikes on firing pins, immobilizing and blocking firing pins from striking primers or rims on 22's, if or when I did have a round go off, depending on the type of action the slide, bolt (semi autos), cartridge carrier, would not operate or not operate properly causing other problems.

At first I thought I had purchased 6 cases, on sale, of a bad batch. Left those alone and bought 2 bottles of a different batch--lot number resulting in having the same problems.
Ridge, the Hoppe’s I use is 25 years old or more - bought several quart glass bottles years ago and still have two unopened. I wonder if they changed the formula - made it “environmentally friendly”? I would still buy Hoppe’s even if it “sucked” at cleaning —- love the smell !! Grew up with it and it’s great…nothin like it

Image1710896735.618827.jpg

For me it’s a mix of horizontal and muzzle up. As others have said, clean but don’t over lubricate.

I was always taught to store rifles and shotguns muzzle down to keep gun oil from seeping into end grain of wood at tang or pistol grip area. Gun oil discolors and softens the wood. Most synthetic stocks are impervious so either way doesn't matter.

On this site I'm seeing most everyone stores guns muzzle up. Any thoughts?
@Ontario Hunter
I always store my rifles muzzle up. If you are getting oil seeping into the tang and other areas you are using to much oil. When I was in the army all rifles were stored muzzle up as well
Bob

Muzzle up in my Liberty safe.
Regarding oil seeping into the wood, I don’t give my guns an oil bath. I will put a little oil in the needed places and then a very light coat using one of those gun oil wipes and then wipe off any kind of excess.
I live in a very dry climate so I don’t have to worry about humidity but I still have a dehumidifier in my safe.

Last edited:
@HankBuck
In my neck of the woods we don't have cats. We call them target practice.
Bob
I have two cats......well.....I’ve got the skins of two cats.......I use them as antimacassars on the leather armchairs.....I left the skun head on one....tends to freak some people out :)
oh, and the skull of another is on my desk
gumpy

Been storing mine muzzle up for 50 years, no cracked stocks or varnish build up yet.

@HankBuck
In my neck of the woods we don't have cats. We call them target practice.
Bob
Bob, wouldn’t some Cats help cut down on the rabbits? I like to rabbit hunt, had beagles just for that and even now maintain permission to hunt on great property where they are numerous enough to consistently get our limits by just “walking & kicking brush”….but I hear Australia would be the-place-to-go for any rabbit Hunter

Last edited:
Bob, wouldn’t some Cats help cut down on the rabbits? I like to rabbit hunt, had beagles just for that and even now maintain permission to hunt on great property where they are numerous enough to get out limits by just “walking & kicking brush”….but I hear Australia would be the-place-to-go for any rabbit Hunter
@HankBuck
Since the calisi virus our rabbit populations have declined dramatically. One property I used to hunt you could shoot rabbits all day. Now your lucky if you see one
Bob

@Ontario Hunter
I always store my rifles muzzle up. If you are getting oil seeping into the tang and other areas you are using to much oil. When I was in the army all rifles were stored muzzle up as well
Bob
BOB: I’ve got the solution here - I sometimes do “both”…. Since I tend to over-do-everything (some oil is good = more oil is GREAT) I place them barrel Down (paper towel under bore) after cleaning for a few days to let any excess drain out —very rare there’s even a trace on the napkin. Then I place them Bore-Up for longer term storage. I think most oil damage to stock wood occurs when the oil is being applied and immediately contacts/soaks into the wood - especially around where the metal connects to the wood.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CaitlynRos

Latest profile posts

Safari Dave wrote on CoElkHunter's profile.
I didn't get drawn for Wyoming this year.

Are you planning to hunt Unit 4 this fall?

(Thinking about coming out)
another great review

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.
sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone
We fitted a new backup generator for the Wildgoose lodge!